* Author Topic: What next after cancelled ICSI cycle?  (Read 1070 times)

0 Members

Offline Tottie

modify
What next after cancelled ICSI cycle?
« on: 3/10/06, 08:16 »
Hello Ladies

I hope someone in a similar situation to me can offer some advice and hope.

We have just had our first ICSI cycle cancelled due to my extremely poor response.  I was on Menopur 450, last FSH reading was 8.1 (and previously has been 11.7) and I had 9 antral follicles at an ovarian stimulation test last month.  From taking the Menopur for 6 days, I managed to produce 3 tiny follicles and at that stage they decided to cancel treatment.  The doctor told me that she couldn't understand why my response was so poor at my age and that they as a clinic would not consider treating me in the future.  My tubes and uterus are healthy thankfully and I ovulate normally. 
DH has very low sperm count (4 million) due to hernia operation botch job when a baby but they are of good quality.

We were devestated but are by no means ready to give up yet.  There must be a way.

Please let me know if you have been in the same situation and how you have got treatment. We are happy to go abroad if necessary. I am just really concerned that time is running out for me.

Many thanks in advance.
Tottie

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Minow

• Gold Member
    • my fur babies!!
    modify
    Re: What next after cancelled ICSI cycle?
    « Reply #1 on: 3/10/06, 10:09 »
    Oh my ggodness Tottie - you are me!

I have had 2 failed iui's, one failed IVF and just had a cancelled ICSI due to my extremely poor response. I was on Menopur 600, last FSH reading was 9.
    My clinic however were not fazed by this. They will be starting me on a short or flare protocol as soon as af arrives. (this is where you don't have the 2weeks of dregs) and is used for both older ladies (not me and you) and poor responders.
    I have no idea why your clinic have said they will not treat you in future. My clinic is the nuffiled at Woking. I don't know where you are in the country but I would say shop around. Ring clinics and see who will take you. You most certainly are not a lost cause.
    Take heart that there are plenty of clinics who will be prepared to treat you. You could always go back to yours and ask them to justify their reasons. Ask them about flare protocols. But if they are not interested then look elsewhere, after all would you want to go to a clinic who are so negative.
    Good luck my love, you will get there
    Minow x

Offline Ellie.st

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 3/10/06, 18:27 »
    Dear Tottie
    I'm so sorry to hear about your cancelled cycle  ^hugme^  but you are right not to give up.  Your clinic does seem to have taken the decision to cancel quite early on (although I suppose it depends how tiny "tiny" was).  On my second cycle, I only had a few small follies on Day 6 and thought the cycle might be cancelled but after extra days stimming ended up with eight eggs.  Minow is right - you could ask your existing clinic to justify their decision not to treat you again but, as she says, it would probably be even better to start "shopping around" for a new clinic as I am sure that other clinics will be willing to treat you, including considering a different protocol for you next time around.   Hang on in there - you are not at the end of the road yet. ^hugme^

Best wishes

Ellie

Offline lisawill

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 4/10/06, 07:50 »
    hi totie can i ask you what clinic you are at
    i two have had 2 ivf cancelled poor response 3rd cycle did sp only got 2 eggs and only one fertilised but didnt divide properley,mine wont treat me again said my only option now is egg donation lisaxxxxxxxxx