* Author Topic: Intersono  (Read 126551 times)

0 Members

Offline butterflys

Hi all!

Wow, how this tread has grown! I havent logged on for a few weeks and I've just had a great read!  Welcome Parma, Penny, Millie, Austion Suzie, and hello again Emps and Hearty!

Hearty, was about to reply about the credit transfer but I see our new cycling buddies have updated you, I'm an August transfer in Intersono also by the way!

Has anyone travelled from Ireland yet? Trying to plan a route and think I might go Dub - Vienna - Lviv, or maybe Dub - Kiev - Lviv, or Dub - Warsaw - Lviv, any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how long we are supposed to stay post transfer?  I'm thinking about 3 days, does flying affect your chance of BFP? (Obviously not with you Emps TG, but is it a factor?)  Also, anywhere nice and hot you can fly to from Lviv, we're off for 2 weeks and I'd love a bit of sun to help me pass the 2WW, but dont want to risk chances of success by travelling to much).

Penny, could you give me the name of the apartment ou stayed in please, thanks for all the info, its been very helpful.

Parma, excuse my ignorance, but I havent even considered CMV, and dont know what me or DH are, is this a factor for consideration?  Done DE cycles before and it never can up!

Good luck ladies, I'm off to learn the alphabet!

Butterflys x

PS does anyone know what it means when they say on the left hand column under your name "send money to butterflys"  ???  I only noticed it tonight and its under all our names????

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline butterflys

Hello again!

I'm demented trying to sort out a route from Dub to Lviv - have been on google for hours - HELP! Trying to cut down amount of flights, No direct flight from dub to Vienna, no luck from kiev or khrakow either, think we'll go from the UK.  Can some one advise best route from uk pleeeaaaassseee!

Butterflys x

Offline parma violet

Hi Butterflys

I'm posting the info about the info about CMV you asked for. Please don't let it worry you though. My hospital in Leeds checks for CMV but I know that lots of places don't. I have cycled twice in Spain and neither of those clinics asked if we were positive. 80% of the population are positive and basically if you've aleady had it you are not at risk at being reinfected. If you are negative (like us) there is a risk you could get it from the donor and hence develop the virus whilst pregnant.  But according to NHS only 200 babies get CMV in the womb per year and of those only 20% suffer problems (we're talking 40 babies a year i think if my maths are correct). So the chances of something happening to your baby are tiny. However, if you are worried you could go to your doctor and have a blood test most likely you willl be positive.

parma
    x
    the info below comes from NHS Direct.

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus that is part of the herpes family of viruses.
    CMV is spread through bodily fluids such as saliva and urine, and can be transmitted from person to person through close bodily contact.Like most other herpes-type viruses, once you're infected by CMV it will remain dormant in your body for the rest of your life.There is no cure for CMV. A possible vaccine for CMV is currently being researched and used in clinical trials but it's unlikely that a vaccine will become publically available before 2012 at the earliest.
    Types of CMV
    The three main types of CMV infections are:

• Acquired (or primary) CMV: a CMV infection that is contracted for the first time.   
    • Reoccurring CMV: a previously dormant CMV infection that reoccurs due to a weakened immune system.   
    • Congenital CMV: a CMV infection that develops in pregnancy and can affect the unborn baby.
      How common is CMV?
    CMV is one of the most common viral infections. It's estimated that 40-80% of all adults aged 40 or over have been infected by CMV. Most people develop a CMV infection during their early childhood.
    Outlook
    Unlike other viral infections, CMV causes no, or very few, symptoms. Most people will be unaware that they've developed an infection.CMV only presents a public health problem when a CMV infection develops, or reoccurs, in certain vulnerable groups of people. There are two main groups of people who are at risk from CMV. They are:

• People with a weakened immune system , particularly those with HIV or who have recently received an organ or bone marrow transplant.   
    • Unborn babies.
      Unborn babies
    If a woman who was previously uninfected by CMV becomes infected during pregnancy, there's a risk that she may pass the infection on to her unborn baby. This is known as a congenital CMV. It is estimated that one in every 200 babies will be born with congenital CMV.
    Only 10% of babies who are born with congenital CMV will have symptoms at birth. But these symptoms can be serious and may lead to long-term complications such as learning difficulties.
    A further 10% of babies who are born with congenital CMV will have no symptoms at birth, but will experience hearing loss in later life.
    See Prevention, above, for more information about how to prevent a CMV infection during your pregnancy.

Congenital CMV
    If you're pregnant, taking some basic precautions can reduce your risk of developing a cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection.

• Wash your hands regularly using soap and hot water, particularly before preparing food, before eating, after close contact with children, or after changing nappies.

• Avoid kissing a young child on the face. Hugging a child, or kissing them on the head, presents no extra risk.

• Don't share eating utensils (forks and spoons) with young children, or drink from the same glass as them.
      These precautions are particularly important if you have a job that brings you into close contact with young children, such as working in a daycare centre or nursery.
    If you have a job where you spend a considerable amount of time with young children, consider having a blood test to determine whether you have previously been infected with CMV. If the result of the test reveals that you have not had a CMV infection, you may wish to consider transferring to a role that limits your exposure to young children.

Offline butterflys

Hi Parma,

Thank you so much, this info is brill.  I love this thread, its a great communication network, we know so much when we put our heads together!!!

I may have been tested already, will check with my Irish clinic,

Thanks a mill, good luck to all,

Butterflys x

Offline Hearty

hi all!

Butterflys, have you got your date?  I got mine yesterday; embryo transfer 8th Aug!  Maybe we'll be there together!!!

'Got into a complete flap about protocol, i'm really sorry but can i ask more stuff?!  If my period doesn't cooperate with clinic dates 'presume I just start taking the meds when it does?  I've sent everything off to Sims to ask them about drugs etc because it was pretty hard to read; and I dont want to email intersono til i have all the questions ready! 

Can I jump in on Butterfly's question too, any idea where we go to find out about accomodation?  I'll spend all the time on the net, no prob but i just dont know where to start.  Emps and Parma re your accomodation; can you advise where you found it?

Parma, how are u getting on?  You're nearly there, INCREDIBLE!!!!!
    Oh God, gotta go, we have a new puppy and I swear to God he keeps eating stuff in my bedroom, I can hear him chomping now!!!!

love and excitement,

Hearty

Offline mad margaret

• Gold Member
    Gosh it's all go!  Sorry didn't reply sooner - but cat bit me quite badly (trying to give the ungrateful sod its antibiotics) and hand was out of action - tried typing with one hand and managed to delete a massive missive.  So here goes with some answers (feel like an old hand!).

1 Accommodation in L'viv is very easy to organise.  Go to
    http://www.inlviv.info/apartments/
    They have all the info you need on hotels and apartments and you can book with them direct :) .  I pay by paypal, so easy.  You can also skype them - email me for those details.  I talk to Maryana, whose English is very good and she is very helpful.  I was quite specific this time about apartments as I was desperate to have one with a balcony so I could sit in sun, read and paint.  So we will have an aptmt outside the centre, but only 10 mins walk to Rynok Square (the beautiful old town centre) and actually now nearer DH's work and the clinic.  Bear in mind that this is their tourist season and many people come from around Ukraine to see L'viv.  So you may not get the apartment you want.  Better to contact them and say what you would like to pay (ours is costing 500 UAH a night - about 43) and that you want it fairly central.  Our last apartment was FABULOUS ;D , but they couldn't match our dates :'( - but it's no.115 on their list if you want to try.  It has a balcony which overlooks Rynok Square - so wonderful!
    The same people can organise taxis to and from airport and also tickets for the opera (a must see).
    Nb most apartments are up stairs and you have to walk - this will not damage embryos, so don't worry about that.

2 Getting there.  We go via Vienna (there and back).  And we catch the later plane for the 30 min connection from Vienna to L'viv.  This can be nerve wracking, so if you are worried get the earlier flights for the same connection and have a nice relaxing lunch in Vienna airport - you'll be there a few hours (we did this the first time we went).  We've been there a few times now and have had no probs with the connection - altho sometimes the airport gets you a special bus to drive you across the terminal to the departure lounge.  DH has also gone via Munich and Kiev, but reckons the Vienna quick connection is the way to go. The planes are smallish ::) , so you do get a bit of turbulence - particularly the Vienna/L'viv flights (be prepared).  The food is snackish - but usually pretty good.

3 The protocol is not just for you but for your donor too (if you have one).  You really do need to start on the same days - you may get away with a day or two either way, but more than that could be difficult.  I had periods that were not reliable and so I went on hrt to be sure.  This time they gave me oestrogens and progesterones as well to be absolutely sure!!  And it worked, my period started the day they said it would.  Any questions about the drugs I can probably answer as I've done 1 protocol and am half way through my second!  (Although I'm doing ED so it may not be same as you).  I hate injecting, but have found that decapeptyl in the little glass individual syringes is much better than suprefact in a gun (I bruised horribly with the gun).

4 You need to learn Cyrillic - this is their language and it's the only thing you will see in writing.  The good news is that there are plenty of things in English, but written in Cyrillic.  Here is the Cyrillic alphabet in case you can't find one - nb this is Ukrainian - it is similar but NOT the same as Russian. The Ukrainians are not fond of Russians or their language. At least try to say thank you (it sounds like Jacooyoo with the stress on first syllable, or just Jacoo) as they will appreciate it.  Numbers would be useful too - sign language can get you into trouble.  A phrasebook (they sell them on Amazon) is very useful.  Most restaurants (but not all) will have English menus if you ask.   ;D   
    Here are some words that you may understand once you work them out; they often have a little extra at the end of the word, but you can usually see what they mean - таксi, тролейбус, велосипед, ресторан, телефоном, вегетаріанець

5 Money! You will need some cash when you get there to pay the taxi (таксi)from airport to your apartment.  And that can be tricky. Your PO or travel agent may be able to get some - I couldn't get any here and the first time we went ended up with DH having to go to a cash point while I was held to ransom in the taxi >:( .  Most embarrassing :-\ .  Best bet is to ask the taxi driver to stop at a cash point on the way (there aren't any to the best of my knowledge at the airport).  You should pay the taxi about 50 UAH (about 4.30) from the Airport to L'viv - don't let them get away with asking much more than that!  Also, print out a pc of paper with your apartment address on it so you can show it to them - otherwise they will just stare blankly at you no matter how good your accent is.  Taxi from L'viv centre to the clinic can be found around Svobody Avenue (I can give you more accurate directions if you need) and should cost around 30 UAH (2.60). 
    Oh yes, a map is pretty vital. You can find them on google easy enough.

Any other questions, please ask.
    penx

Offline mad margaret

• Gold Member
    Forgot to add about how long to stay after ET.  They say you can go home next day and there is a lot on the web about rest after ET (some suggest bedrest for a few days, but the general way of thinking is that it makes no difference at all - if you think about natural conception, the latter makes more sense).  I think be sensible.  Put your feet up on day of transfer, relax in apartment and watch a dvd or something.  Next day rest or gentle sightseeing.  After that go home. 

Our ET will be on the Weds and we were coming back on the Sat, but couldn't get the flight we wanted, so we are returning on the Sunday rather than the Friday. 

Hope this helps
    penx

Offline wishfulthinking

modify
    checking in (child mentioned)
    « Reply #87 on: 11/06/10, 02:05 »
    Hi everyone.  It is so nice to see so many people on here considering Intersono.  When I was first on here most people were going to ISIDA.   My husband and I went to Intersono in early 2009 and now have a beautiful daughter through DE.  Intersono was a great clinic and I highly recommend them.  I would recommend them even if the cycle had not worked-I was ready to go back and try again during my 2WW when I was sure it had not worked.   I had some trouble with the communication before the cycle actually started (I wanted to hear from them instantly each time I wrote because I was so worried and anxious and they were a little more relaxed than I was used to).  Anyway, once the cycle was firmed up and we really got going they were definitely great.  I am from the US and we flew home the day after transfer.  We were in Lviv a total of about 10 days (I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time).  Aside from it being bitterly cold in Lviv at that time of year...the trip was perfect and so was the whole experience.  If anyone is still undecided about using them I hope my post helps to encourage you to give it a try.  The cost was slightly over $5,000 (U.S.) when I cycled.  I get on here very infrequently but if I pop back on and see questions that I am able to answer I will try to do that.  Best of luck to all of you and I wish you great success.   :)

Wishfulthinking

Offline AustinSuzie

Wishfulthinking, thank you so much for posting this feedback!  Before your cycle with Intersono, were you communicating strictly by email or did you phone them up?  I'm doing email and it can take many weeks to get an answer to what I think should be a very straightforward/relatively simple question.   I chocked it up to the fact that they must be small and overwhelmed with interest.   

One question I had was about the meds I would be on for a donor cycle and how I would go about getting them as I too am in the United States.   How did that work for your cycle?  Did the $5000 you paid include your medications?

Congratulations on your DD!  It is stories like yours that give me hope I too will reach motherhood someday.

Suzie in Austin

Offline wishfulthinking

Suzie,

I contacted them strictly by e-mail.  Sometimes I would e-mail more than once (three-four times a few times) before getting an answer.  I say just remain polite (although it is hard when you feel no one is paying attention) yet persistant.  The 5k did not include medications.  I think I paid about 500 for meds (although that is a rough estimate as it was a while ago and my memory is not great).  They were using an Italian Pharmacy (Farmacia Cerrati I think is the name) and they sent them a prescription.  The pharmacy got in touch with me, told me how to pay and then shipped them here to me in the US.  Don't give up-they will respond.  It sounds like lots of people are interested in them these days so I bet they are totally busy!

Wishful