* Author Topic: A point my DH has just made.......  (Read 2430 times)

0 Members

Offline Fidget

• VIP Member Sponsor
  • Babycat Star
modify
A point my DH has just made.......
« on: 9/01/07, 19:55 »

with all this talk of (e)SET and fetus reduction............ he asks this....... if a natural pregnancy resulted in twins or more would the NHS/HFEA expect them to have a fetus reduction?

Are we once again being penalised for being infertile?? (he also asks if we are going to be living in a totalitarian state then)

He also said, if HFEA bring in SET more people will go abroad, ( we certainly would) thereby bringing a possible collapse of the IVF (private) system in the UK, is that what the HFEA are after perhaps?

just someting he has given me to chew over..................

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline *Scooby*

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: a point my DH has just made.......
    « Reply #1 on: 9/01/07, 20:04 »
    Good point well made.  I don't believe that the NHS or HFEA could do anything about a natural pregnancy resulting in twins, I mean what hold would they have over the patients in relation to a fetus reduction?

I do believe that in a way we are being penalised for being infertile and I am sure that many more couples would seek treatment abroad.

Offline Anthony Reid

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 9/01/07, 20:17 »
    No - I don't think they will.... I mentioned fetal reduction because other countries have used it... not because its being proposed - its *not!* (currently).

Several countries have been operating eSET for quite some time. I have a chart somewhere.

You might not realise it - but what the UK does with regards to eSET is very likely to be copied across Europe. For some reason the UK has quite an influence.

Its also worth noting that some people in the USA are also pushing for a American version of the HFEA with tight regulation. Although I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

In my opinion, from things I have picked up here and there - eSET is very likely to become the norm on a global level - with exception to those countries that are heavily influenced by Religion, countries such as Italy.

Some UK clinics are already setting up clinics abroad or developing business relationships... so perhaps there will be a window for some couples to go abroad.

FF will represent the patients views on this - so please feel free to let us know 'all' your concerns or questions.

Tony

Offline emma73

• Edinburgh Fertility & Reproductive Endocrine Centr
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 9/01/07, 22:20 »
    To be honest and I really dont want to offend any one here - but I think that this misses the point. Nobody can control twins that occur naturally - but we can try and reduce the number that are concieved through IVF. I dont think anyone is being penalised for being infertile - though know I would feel that way if I wanted to have a choice and didnt!

Emma       

Offline londonlou

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 9/01/07, 22:31 »

Several countries have been operating eSET for quite some time. I have a chart somewhere.

Other countries that have better statistics or better access to IVF? Quite frankly, until the clinics adjust their pricing structures and improve their methods, I'm not happy about the move to eSET. My last IVF I had 8 eggs which enabled me to have 2 embies transferred and none to freeze. Would the clinic have frozen the one embie? What would I do with one embie facing a 60% successful thaw rate? Comparing us to other countries with more successful IVF rates is not helpful of the HFEA. My local NHS clinic has a success rate barely above IUI. I always wanted to argue that for my one NHS go I thought the money better spent at the clinic where I had the best chance.

Also, how about these clinics modifying their working hours like the ARGC and a few others to open 7 days per week in line with women's cycles instead banking more women onto the days convienient to them? If they want to move to eSET then they have to show you have the best chance possible, otherwise, I'd take my money abroad. Not only for the flexibility of how many I can have put back, but also for the simple reason that many of the foreign clinics have better standards.

Some UK clinics are already setting up clinics abroad or developing business relationships... so perhaps there will be a window for some couples to go abroad.

And some managing to charge more for the services people would have paid if they had arranged themselves and then doing deals to close of the clinic to people from the UK.

Offline Anthony Reid

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 9/01/07, 22:39 »
    Other countries that have better statistics

Not strictly true - not in Europe anyway. Our Scandinavian cousins have better defrost rates though.... Perhaps this is linked to the fact that they only freeze top grade eggs.

better access to IVF?
    I totally agree with you here - most have better funding.

Personally - I wouldn't like to set eSET implemented without full implementation of the nice guidelines.