* Author Topic: What are the chances of conception for eSET?  (Read 4049 times)

0 Members

Offline hola69

• Gold Member-10018
  • isnt she gorgeous
modify
Re: What are the chances of conception for eSET?
« Reply #10 on: 11/02/07, 15:38 »
Hello,

I just wanted to give my feelings on this subject. I honestly beleive this is all about money and the HFEA are going to force more and more ladies to go abroad where they will not have to argue and battle for the treatment they want. I had to go abroad for Egg donation, as its too costly here, the waiting list are too long, there is no anonymoty..and now they are saying only one embryo.. I had 2 put back this time, this was our last go as we are up to our eyes in debt with all the costly treatment and emotionally drained.. Out of the 2 luckily one worked and I am over the moon.. BUT who is to say if I had only been allowed one which would i have got? The one that worked????
Needless to say other than on mendical grounds I am dead against it and all for freedom of choice...

Love Lesley xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Anthony Reid

• Super Moderator-5
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 11/02/07, 19:59 »
    i decided to have one put back after no real consultation with the consultant as she was never available the clinic have been very differcult to deal with and treated us badly ill let you know the outcome in nine days

pray for me

thanks

I see from your ticker you are pregnant  - congrats :)

Hello,

I just wanted to give my feelings on this subject. I honestly beleive this is all about money and the HFEA are going to force more and more ladies to go abroad where they will not have to argue and battle for the treatment they want. I had to go abroad for Egg donation, as its too costly here, the waiting list are too long, there is no anonymoty..and now they are saying only one embryo.. I had 2 put back this time, this was our last go as we are up to our eyes in debt with all the costly treatment and emotionally drained.. Out of the 2 luckily one worked and I am over the moon.. BUT who is to say if I had only been allowed one which would i have got? The one that worked????
    Needless to say other than on mendical grounds I am dead against it and all for freedom of choice...

Love Lesley xxx

I'd like to point out that even if people go abroad for tx, they will still return to the UK for the birth of their babies.

Also - A number of other countries are currently considering SET and are watching the UK's decision closely. You will probably find that most of Europe with exception of one or two will move towards eSET in one form or another very soon after.

Offline hola69

• Gold Member-10018
    • isnt she gorgeous
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 12/02/07, 15:20 »
    Hi Tony,

thanks for the congrats.. :)

Am a little unsure of your comment...''I'd like to point out that even if people go abroad for tx, they will still return to the UK for the birth of their babies''.

Yes I have returned to the UK but not just for my birth but because I live and work here and have contributed to the NHS with my 40% tax and NI contributions over the years...I would have preferred to not go abroad for the treatment but for the reasons I previously stated I felt I had no choice as unfortunatley these HFEA rules have left a shortage of donors resulting in long waiting lists, the anonymity is a big issue and factor to donors and recipients and the costs are far more expensive in the UK than abroad for both these reasons and others. I was more than happy with my consultant and clinic in the UK, they have been wonderful but to match me to a donor would have taken a year and been a lot more expensive.

I do think that people have to understand we are not just going abroad will nilly for a holiday..but for a difficult, emotional and life changing reason that most of us wished we didnt have to make...

Please dont take my comments the wrong way Tony as I know you do a wonderful job with this website and I dont know how I would have managed without FF. BUT i have to say I feel very strongly about this subject and feel the need to voice  ;D,

Many Thanks

Lesley

Offline Charlies-Mum

• Deb
    • Lifetime Premium-7
    • Me, Amy & Matthew
    modify
    « Reply #13 on: 12/02/07, 15:28 »
    Lesley

i think what Tony was trying to say (and please correct me if I'm wrong Tony) is that the 'costs' that you are talking about are the costs of supporting multiple births.
    Even if someone travelled abroad for multiple embryo implant, resulting multiple pregnancies are still supported by the NHS. This is the 'cost' issue that HFEA are being seen as trying to reduce.

As I've said before I don't believe this is 'totaly' about cost. Multiple pregnancies do carry a greater health risk than singleton pregnancies (read the latest news on infertileworld about birth defect risks and you'll see and example of what I mean) and this also has to be taken into account.

At the end of the day though I believe that the parents/paitients, should be able to agree with their consultant, based on their own particular set of circumstances, what the best course of action for them is. In my opinion that is why it should remain eSET with the 'e' being elective.

Deb