* Author Topic: Poor Response Questions  (Read 1223 times)

0 Members

Offline Pamela39

modify
Poor Response Questions
« on: 19/04/07, 12:06 »
Dear All

I am new to this site and was hoping some of you might be able to help me understand what has happened to me and help me decide what to do in the future.

I have just had my second IVF cycle ( April 07) abandoned due to a poor response ( only on follicle) . I was on 6 amps of Menopur which is the maximum dose. I had 4 follicles at my 7 day scan 1 x 14, 1 x 13, 1 x 9, 1 x 7 when I went back for my day 10 scan only one follicle had grown over the three days.

My first cycle of IVF ( Jan 07) was 4 amps of Menopur for 7 days then 6 amps for 5 days. This only gave me two follicles but both had an egg, both fertilised and gave me two good grade eggs but unfortunately not a BFP.

I didn't ask any questions at my second scan as I was very upset and on my own as I wasn't expecting bad news. I have not made an appointment for a follow up yet.

My FSH is low and I am 40 years old. I know FSH can fluctuate and wonder if I have got misleading good result.

Does anyone know of anyone who has had such a poor response but gone on to get PG? I need to make up my mind were we go from here. I am not ready to give up but need to be realistic if any further treatment is likely to result in more of the same.

Pam x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline ophelia

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Poor Response Questions
    « Reply #1 on: 19/04/07, 13:44 »
    Hi Pam

I'm also a poor responder and my first cycle of IVF with ICSI was abandoned due to poor response.

My second cycle I only got 3 eggs, and 2 fertilized. Got a BFN

My 3rd cycle I got 4 eggs and 3 fertilized. Got a BFP but later lost the baby.

My 4th cycle in November last year I only produced 2 follicles, got 1 egg and that egg got fertilized . Got a BFN.

All those cycles was on a long protocol with Puregon.  So then I changed clinics and went on the short protocol. (No down regging)
    I was also put on a mixture of both Menopur and Gonal F, sometimes you need some FSH (which is in Puregon and gonal F) and LH (which is in Menopur) and I responded really well instead of just sticking to just a FSH drug or just a LH drug.

So on my 5th cycle I got 7 eggs and 4 fertilized. I had 3 put back and I'm 5 weeks pregnant tomorrow.

I don't think you should give up just yet. Maybe try a different drug and/or different protocol. I never thought I would produce any more eggs after that cycle in November where I only got 1 egg but I managed to produce 7 eggs on a different protocol.

Good luck, Love Ophelia

Offline britgrrl

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 19/04/07, 14:02 »
    A couple of quick points, minor correction to Olivia's comment. Menopur is still mostly FSH, but it contains trace amounts of LH.
    Second, unfortunately at our age FSH readings dont' seem to correlate that well to response. I've never responded well, but my FSH is always fine.

I think getting another consultation would be a good move, and consider different protocols, as Olivia suggests. I've done much better on the short, antagonist protocols, than I did on the long one.

Offline Betty1

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 19/04/07, 14:09 »
    Hi Pam
    I'd like to say I have some answers for you but I haven't and just wanted you to know that I am in a very similar position and I know what it feels like! 
    On my first cycle of IVF (Nov 06) I was on a long protocol and had 4 amps of menopour.  Unfortunately I only produced 1 egg which was a total shock - I had tried to prepare myself for the eggs not fertilising etc but did not suspect that I would not respond well to the medication!   I therefore had IUI instead and a BFN..
    They upped by menopour to 6 amps on recent cycle which produced only 2 good eggs.  Both fertilised but only 1 of them went on to be a four cell egg and I had ec two weeks ago.   My AF arrived yesterday and I am just trying to pick myself up from the disappointment.
    I have spoken to the hosp today and have arranged an apt with one of the docs to discuss my treatment because, like yourself I guess, I am worried that my poor response to treatment is hampering our chances.  I feel totally lost...
    I know this probably hasn't put your mind at rest (sorry..!) but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that you are probably best to make an apt with your doc to ask him/her for some advice/info. ^hugme^
    Betsy

Offline ophelia

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 19/04/07, 14:11 »
    Britgrrl, sorry I got a bit confused. I know that it's both FSH and LH is Menopur but what I meant was instead of having a Pure FSH drug like Puregon it's can be better for some to have a mixture of both Menopur and either Gonal F or Puregon to get a better result rather than stick to the one drug. And also to change to a different protocol.

It worked for me and I'm pregnant. ( after having had 4 cycles on the Puregon only.) And my name is Ophelia by the way. ;)

Offline ☼♥ Minxy ♥☼

• love, luck and sticky vibes
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 19/04/07, 14:17 »
    Hi & welcome to FF :)

I'm afraid I can't offer any advise but there is an active running thread for ladies who have poor response...you may like to chat with others in similar situation so here's the link...

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=74535.0

Take care
    Natasha

Offline Pamela39

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 20/04/07, 13:08 »
    Thanks for the replies - you girls certainly know your stuff!

Ophelia - noticed how young you are - out of interest did the consultant say why he thought you responded poorly?

I have only ever been on the long protocol as my cycle is irregular and I think therefore this is the only one I can do.

A HUGE congratulations to you, having my thread answered by someone who is PG has made my day!

Britgirl - what is a short, antagonistic protocol? And again another HUGE congratulations and a natural PG what a wonderful story!

Betty1 - I know what you mean about not even getting to have a proper go is soul destroying and makes you wonder if there is any point. I am so sorry AF has arrived its seems so unfair after all the treatment and emotional rollercoaster that any of us should get a BFN. Ophelias post has given me hope that my body might respond better to a different drug or protocol. Please let me know what your consultant says and I will PM you with what mine says as our circumstances are so similar. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Minxy - thanks for pointing me to the thread, off to wade though the 20 pages and there is me thinking I was the only one!

Pam x