Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently got my laparoscopic diagnosis done and they have discovered that I have 1 fully open tube and the ther fully blocked. In this case shd we go for an iui or is ivf better?
I'm 35 years old and we will be going with donor sperm due to husband's azoospermia

Many thanks
Sue

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is just my personal view, but I'd definitely consider IVF.  IUI would only work if that month an egg is developing in your unblocked side and even then, the success rates of IUI aren't that high.

As far as I am aware, I have clear tubes and I only had 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF as I felt that paying for numerous IUIs with low success rates was not money well spent.  However, IVF will be expensive unless you can get yourself onto a clinical trial in which case many costs are paid for you.  If you google there is a website that lists clinical IVF trials and the criteria you'd need to meet.

Like I say, it's just my opinion and there are people on here who've had good success with IUI who might give a different perspective.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx incywincy? We have received funding from the PCT for either 1 cycle of ivf or 3 cycles of icsi. Yes maybe it's better to go straight to ivf to reduce the hassle of many iui cycles.

Sue

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If you've got funding, then what you really need to weigh up is, if the IUIs fail, can you afford to try IVF after that?  Mind, I suppose if the funded IVF fails you've got to find money to pay for another, the only thing then is at least you've had one IVF and they will know how you've responded and be able to tweak your treatment second time around.

Also, you're 35 I think that's when the success rates start dropping a lot for IUI.  I was 32 when I had mine and I felt like it would have affected my chances then.

A difficult decision! 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts