Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter froom my clinic in Aberdeen this morning stating that waiting lists for donor sperm are now up to 18 months and that it is the same throughout the UK.
I phoned several clinics both private and NHS in Scotland and they confirmed what the letter says.

It is so unfair the HFEA have a lot to answer for.

Does anyone know of any clinic that has got sperm available?
What about private companies not going through HFEA has anyone had experience of any such as sperm direct?

Tracey xx

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hi Tracey,

Sorry to hear of the situation that you are in.  We went private for all of our DIUI as down here in Romsey, Hamsphire as DIUI is not available on the NHS.  Our clinic did not have a shortage of sperm, but they did say to us that soon they would have to start importing donor sperm from abroad as there was a big shortage of donor's here in England, which would mean that the cost of treatment would go up, last year we paid £750.00 per cycle and this year it has gone up to £850.00 per cycle.  We had our treatment done at the Wessex Fertility Clinic.  They told us the reason for this sudden shortage was the change in law a few months ago, that stated donor's or children conceived by donor sperm/eggs could in fact try to find out who their biological mother/father was, therefore this put a lot of people of donating sperm/eggs.  We were lucky enough to get a positive from our treatment, but if we want to try for another child in the future, our children would not have the same biological fathers as they were unable to "reserve sperm".  The only private company we had heard about was one you mention called Sperm Direct, which is a kind of do it yourself program, however we did not really like that idea so that is why we went through a proper HFEA clinic.  You could maybe try contacting a few clinics throughout England just to see what they say about their waiting lists, however this would mean you would probably have to do a lot of travelling if you managed to find one with a short waiting list.  At our clinic we went for a first consultation in September 2004,we then had to have several tests done and we started our first lot of treatment in March 2005 so we had to wait about 6 months which was not long at all.  Our clinic has their own website which you could look at, but as I said we are all the way down here in the South of England.
Good Luck with the searching and good luck for future treatment.

Emma
x x x x

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Tracey - Your clinic could try and ring the Londons Womens clinic, i got sperm from them two months ago and had a choice of three donors so there was some then. My clinic had to fight hard to get it though.

Bronte xx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Tracey

If you do think about the DIY route....

The only one I've heard direct, first-hand appraisal of is Mannotincluded which was initially set-up for lesbians but is available to anyone willing to pay.  Avoid them at all costs!!!!!  Unreliable, expensive and dishonest about sums up the people I've talked to's experience of them.

Good luck

David x

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have you heard of Xytex, they're in America so you have to get the sperm shipped over but I've heard some good reports about them. Me and DH thought about using them before we decided to try ICSI first, below is a part of a thread which I copied and kept incase I needed to use them.

Xytex were very quick and effcient, once you have picked a donor you check availability - it does vary but as they are commited donors they often have some waiting in quarantine etc - then you tell your clinic and they need to apply for an import license from the HFEA on your behalf. It is just a formality, they always approve it but it can take a few weeks for them to have a meeting to approve it. Then it just takes a few days to ship over, so just make sure you know it will be ready at your clinic in time for your cycle. As you can see it worked first time for us which was extremely lucky but I think we got a good donor and I think overall xytex stock good donors - as it is done as a business in the US they can be quite picky. But I could be completely wrong, maybe we were just lucky (don't want to give you a misleading impression or guarantee of success etc....)

I had a look at their web site and emailed one of the nurses there and they do seem really professional though it can work out quite expensive.

I've also heard good reports about the Bridge in London have you tried them? Apparently they have their own sperm bank and will ship to other clinics.

Jem x

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
tracey. jem is right about the bridge. we were told locally in dorset they could not coninue with di due to lack of sperm. it would be at least a year then they couldnt be certain they would be able to treat then. we deciced to go else where and after only a month are now on our first diui cycle at the bridge in london. they do have there own sperm bank and do send out to other clinics.
good luck

sam mn
xxx

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
You could always go abroad - there's lots of sperm in Spain and Eastern Europe
Don't forget - if you use donor sperm in the UK then you have to give a bung to the HFEA and it only encourages them...

Jo XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (Originally male factor infertility - now an abroadie ^evil^)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts