Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Can anyone help me understand this - me and my DF went for our first appointment at Barts Hospital last week.  When we originally went to the FC we were told my DF's sperm sample appeared to be fine with plenty of sperm.  Then during our initial chat with the fertility nurse at Barts she also said that as my partners sperm count was okay in terms of the number of sperm, if my hycosy was fine she would put us on a low tech treatment of using drugs to stimulate my ovaries and see if things take their course naturally - this was based on a sperm test my partner did in February.

After my hycosy - where everything appeared to be fine - we saw the consultant - he looked at some sperm test results for a sample my Df had provided on the morning of the barts appointment.  He then said that the amount produced was only small, and there were a low sperm count with low motility and that the only option open to us is IVF.

I am now completley confused - how can the two results be so different?  Does this mean that we have no chance of conceiving naturally ever??  Why if the first sample showed okay for ovary stimulation, is it that only IVF is suitable based on the second sample? Should my DF do another sample?  Can sperm results improve? Or is the low count, low motility etc a permenant thing?  Sorry to be so ignorant but to be honest we were so shell shocked after the chat with the consultant that we just left with mouths on the floor!!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Rosebud x

·
Registered
132 Posts
That does sound really confusing how it would differ so much between samples. I would ask for an other test doing. xx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Yes, sperm tests can vary.  It takes approx 90 days for a single sperm to mature, although obviously millions mature every single day.  Many factors can effect sperm and if your partner had been ill or there was some other factor, this could effect the sperm quality and quantity.

My DP has always had really good sperm counts....never been a problem before.  Then, on our 2nd IVF, on the day of EC (egg collection), his sample was not so good....plenty there but very low normal forms....so we had to have ICSI.  We were completely shocked as not experienced this before and strangely enough, the sperm test he'd done only a month or so prior to EC was one of his best.  The consultant and embryologist were stumped too as there just didn't appear to be any reason for it.....other than my DP never gets ill (he's not seen a GP since he was about 10 !!!) but he'd had terrible fluey/sickness a few weeks beforehand.....whilst it can take 90 days for a single sperm to mature so this illness shouldn't have effected things overall as was within that timeframe, it's the only thing we could think of and it is possible that it caused some problems, possibly because DP was feverish so maybe overheated the sperm.....we'll never know !  DP's been absolutely fine since and he's had a couple more sperm tests as well as us having 2 more fresh cycles of IVF since then.

I just wanted to show that it can & does happen that men can have "blip" sperm issues.....so it may well be worth asking for another test to be done.

You do need to ensure that you have the test done after the right amount of abstaining.....or clinic are very clear and so should leave it no less than 60 hours and no more than 72 hours before having a sperm test.

Also, different clinics/labs do look for varying things and will have different levels of what they class as normal/abnormal quality and quantity.

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys,
thanks for the replies - feel a little bit more reassured now - will speak to the clinic when we go in july and perhaps ask for another test to be done - fingers crossed!!!!!

rosebud x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Me and my partner have had the same with regards to his sperm is 'lazy', They have said to us that we will need to have ivf, but we still have a chance of falling by our selfs but they say we have more of a chance if we have ivf.

Dont worry as you are in the right place to get help,

We were really shocked as well because we thought it was me as I have slight pcos,  when we got told about his count we both got really down, but then we thought at least we know the reason why nothing has happen as we have been trying for over 2 years.

we have just had our first vist to bart and are now waiting to start ivf.

all the best and good luck, 

xxxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts