Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our appointment at Dr Tayobs clinic in StAlbans but saw a lady.
The doctor asked us all the general questions and looked at our previous results.
She looked at my hormone tests and said they did them wrong and I had to have them done whilst on my period which luckily I was yesterday so she did them again.
I also have to go back 7 days before my next period for more blood tests (even though I'm pretty certain I am ovulating as per my bbt charts & fertility friend)
Then she looked at Hubbys swimmer results which is what I'm concerned about.
She said that the number of swimmers is fine but the motility is a low. She mentioned two percentages needing to add up to 50% and said they didn't. She then said that the motility can change and that his results did not in anyway mean we wouldn't be able to conceive with his swimmers but she was going to send him to re-do the test at Hammersmith hospital in London which has a very good fertility clinic.
Can anyone reassure me that 1) low motility doesn't mean we'll never get pregnant and 2) If the 2nd test still comes back as low motility can they give hubby something to take to get them back to normal?
Our next appointment is not until 18th September but she said wait a few weeks until we think they'd have our test results back and call for cancelations.
I don't think I can wait until september!!

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
i was referred to Dr Tayob but we saw the fertikity nurse first.  my test came back ok but it was our gp that said DH swimmers were low.  when the fertility nurse  looked at the results she couldn't understand what the problem was!!  anyway we did eventually see Dr tayob (DH had to go to Hammersmith to have another test done, i think it was a immune test) he basically said that his count was ok but his motility and morphlogy was abnormal.  he said there was a chance i could get pg as it only takes 1 but as we were over 35 we needed tx. 

i was the same as you and felt i couldn't wait til Dec for our first appt at hammersmith. (we first saw dr tayob in the sept last yr.) but it soon came round quick.  the doc at hammersmith said it could be up to a yr for tx, i got quite upset by this but she said that would be the longest and as we didn't need any other tx before we started then it might not be that long.  anyway just before xmas i got a letter saying we would start tx in April/ may 08. the time flew by and here i am, today i have just had my EC which was really easy. we are having ICSI.  the doc said today that DH sperm is low and is 40% poor motility.  So our GP was right all along!

there is nothing that can be done for mens fertility except, cut down on drinking, smoking, healthy eating, lose weight, vitamins (look at zita west vits for men)  we both had acupunture but he did start it a bit late and has done nothing for his result.

in a way it was better that it was his fertility as noithing can be done for the men (except if it is no sperm at all and it is a blockage so they will do surgery to unblock) we were seen quicker, but if it was my fertility then they would try tablets etc before tx.

Try not to fret.  it will come around quick.  i agree the waiting is awful.  we first went to our gp feb last yr, then went to st albans in may then sept then hammersmith in dec and start tx in april.  in between you will have tests which is good as you feel things are moving along.

once you start tx, the longest is the first part of drugs which is 2 weeks long, that seems like an age!!  plus before that is waiting for AF to come which another life time!!

when we first started our journey i though that there is no way i could wait a yr but i have!!

my 2ww will start on fri and waiting a yr for tx will seem a doddle compared to that!

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Becks xx ;D ;D ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think we saw the same nurse last October and she referred us for more tests as well. It took over 5 months to get the result of my DH sperm test after his appointment at Hammersmith, I couldn't even get an appointment for a scan and my blood tests were fine, so I gave up and went private as I heard the waiting list is so long.

We chose to go to Norway in February for a consultation and still stay on the waiting list. We decided to go for it privately at the end of April as time is not on my side and thankfully we were successful first time round with ICSI.

The funny thing is that the day we got back from our TX, we had a letter from Mr Tayob to say that our funding has now been applied for ICSI at Hammersmith.

At the first appointment though, the nurse hinted that we should go for it ourselves as the wait is long and now I am glad we did.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Firstly good luck with everything.  We went to St Albans at the end of Feb for our first appointment and saw Aruna, even though my Hubby had already had all his tests done previously we still had to go through everything again we are finally due to go and see Mr Tayob on Thursday yep a five month wait!!!!!!!  The worst bit was trying to get the HSG done at Hemel Hempstead and the only reason I got my appoiintment fwhen I did was because I work from home so getting time off isn't a problem (Got the phone call at 4.30 on Thursday for an appointment at 11ish the following day).  You will be amazed how soon September will come round I was so upset that we had five months to wait and I've got fed up with trying to get a cancellation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi Ms V,

My DP also had the same and was really worried at the time. He had an additional test done (NHS) and another one in Harpenden - which was one of Dr Tayob's mates.
He had to pay £60 for this however was so pleased he did as they did all these extra tests and it all appeared fine.

He did cut on drinking, tried to avoid too many mints - which he only told me last week and bought M&S cooling pants (can you believe it!).

Hope you will be fine!!
cora

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hello Mrs_V,

I wouldn't worry too much about the sperm issues. My DH has 80-90% abnormal morphology but they can just inject the sperm directly into the egg using a method called ICSI rather than IVF.

September is actually quite good for St. Alban's. I had my last appointment in June and they aren't seeing me to tell me my blood test results until Dec-it has been consistently 6 months gap between appointments for me.

You don't say how old you are. I personally had my first appointment at St. Alban's about a year ago and still have not been referred to Hammersmith. However, I decided because of my age to go private (all on credit card and through a bank loan) and am now on my third private ICSI round (unfortunately the first two ended in miscarriage). I am still waiting for my NHS round.

I think the benefit:risk of waiting for the NHS is really down to how many years you have to go until you think your fertility chances will be reduced due to age. You have to plan for it not working first time (although of course we all hope that it will).

Diane x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts