Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping some of you very experienced ladies can help.
I'm on my 1st IVF and had my first follicle scan this morning after being on 225 menopur (0.5 suprecur) since last Tuesday (29th April).
The scan showed only 3 follies all small (7.9/8.9/9mm).  The nurse suggested they would increase my dose & look again on Friday am.
She went to check with the Doctor and was advised that I should cancel this cycle!! Gutted..  However they said it's my choice so I have opted to see how it goes until Friday's scan and take the increased dose of 450 menopur.
Has anyone else had similar but gone onto have successful follies/EC etc?
Is there anything I can do to help grow some new follies or help existing one's get bigger at this stage?  (I'm allergic to nuts so no brazils unfortunately).

Thanks so much in advance for any words of wisdom.  I'm feeling really down at the moment about this but want to give it the best shot in the next 3 days.

xx

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Hi Laura

Sorry to hear this.  How thorough was the scan?  Sometimes there are undetected follies which the scan can does not pick up.
Also, bear in mind that a follicle can hold 2 eggs.  Did they measure your E2 levels?
I'd suggest drinking lots of water (2 litres at least) and upping your protein intake.  Also use a hot water bottle or a warm wheatbag on your tummy which will also encourage growth.
Good luck for Friday's scan.
^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there

I am on my first cycle of ICSI & when I went for my day 8 scan there was nothing happening at all - no follies & the lining was only 3.5mm. I was on 150iu of Puregon, which I believe is the lowest dose, and they doubled it to 300iu. I had a further scan on day 13, and my lining had increased to 8mm but I only had one 8mm and one 7mm follicle. They came very close to cancelling me but decided to let me have another 5 days at the higher dose and on day 18 (yesterday) they found 3 x 18mm, 1 x 16mm and 3 x 10mm!! I think my lining had increased to 10. something too but I wasn't paying much attention to be honest, I was too busy looking at my follies!!  ;D ;D They've now booked me in for EC on Thusday, in the hope that the 16mm and maybe even the 10mm will catch up & be useful!!

So don't panic just yet - easier said than done I know, I was absolutely devastated after my first scan & the only thing that will really make you feel better is seeing them growing with your own eyes!

My clinic said there was nothing I could do to help them grow, but the advice on this site was drink lots of water, milk & pineapple juice and keep your tummy warm as much as possible.

I hope all goes well for you on Friday  ^hugme^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sudders

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much both for your replies.  Shudders, it's good to see that they can grow.  Perhaps I'll ask on Friday if we can delay EC so I can have a few more days if need be rather than cancel the cycle altogether.
Good luck for your EC  ^reiki^.

More views/advice/good news welcome if anyone has any!!

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Good news Scudders!  I wonder why your clinic put you on such a low dose in the first place  ^idiot^

Laura, the increased dose will probably encourage some more follies - try not to worry (easier said than done  ::))
I forgot to mention that milk is very good for growing your eggs as well.  My clinic tell us to drink 2 litres of water and a litre of milk while stimming.  Hopefully your clinic will time EC to obtain an optimum result.  Were you already given an EC date?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I was told w/c 12th May so next week. Perhaps they can just push it to back end of the week and give me a chance to grow some more follies in the meantime.
Thanks for the info re milk.  Unfortunately I hate milk but maybe hot chocolate counts?!  I've been searching around the house for things containing protein, don't have much here and am working at home so have had a bowl of porridge (milk plus 16g protein). 
Also I found a heat pad thing that my dh uses when he goes mountain climbing so that's good too.
Hopefully by Friday morning I can surprise them with some really great follicles  ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
cardifflaura - I have a similar story.... I was told on my second scan that my "crop" of follies had spilt...... 2 had grown a lot more than the others, I was terrified that they were going to abandon me (again) but I was advised to stay on the same dose drugs (450 Menopur) and have a third scan in 2 days time and that we would "take it from there". I was very very lucky, because 2 of the slightly smaller crop had caught up with the first 2, and so I went to EC with 4 good sized follies and 3 slightly smaller. We got 4 eggs and all 4 were mature enough to use. 3 fertilised and I am currently on the 2ww (3 day transfer with 1 x 8 cell grade 1 and 1 x 7 cell grade 2 embies) ^scared^ ^scared^ ;D ;D Have faith hun........ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

I have been having milk everyday - made in to yummy banana nesquik - I am eating lots and lots of protein.... in fact every meal I have I make sure that I am eating loads of protein.

Wishing you love, luck, babydust and rainbows

^Heart^ ^spot^ ^reiki^ ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^

Reality xx xx xx xx xx xx

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I was put on such a low dose because all tests on me had come back as 'normal' and they were erring on the side of caution to make sure I didn't over-respond. The nurse said she had been half expecting me to over respond & so was almost as shocked as I was when I did nothing!!  ;D

As for milk - I believe it is beneficial for egg growth because of the protein in it. I think it is also acceptable as hot chocolate, milkshake, decaf latte and ice cream. At least I'm hoping it is  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, I forgot to mention - I was originally told my EC would be w/c 28 April, which was last week, so your clinic should be able to move your dates.

All the best  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sudders

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Good stuff - just up your protein intake if you hate milk (ie. organic eggs, meat, fish etc)

Good luck for test day Reality  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again ladies for all the great advice.  Fingers crossed my ovaries will get their act together in the next 3 days and produce some more follies.

I'll let you know.

Shudders - good luck for EC!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
She-Hulk - thanks hun - I hate the 2ww ^scared^ ;D

cardifflaura - if you haev one, a hot water bottle might be beneficial too. I am lucky enough to be work at home and so I sometimes used a hot water bottle a couple of times during the day, but ALWAYS had one at night. Good Luck hun - let us know how you get on ^reiki^ ^reiki^ :-*

Sudders - I agree with you hun, I think milk in any form is acceptable.... we need some treats during stimming don't we ;) ;D

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just posting an update.
Had my Day 11 scan today and shows 3 follies at 18.5mm, 13.5mm and 10.5mm. I've been converted to IUI then can still have the NHS IVF after if this doesn't work.
I'm really pleased with this as at least I haven't wasted all that time.
Any advice on whether I should continue with keeping tum warm and protein etc over the weekend?
I go in on Monday for IUI. (HCG is Saturday midnight)

Also, do I need to rest after the IUI?  I'll try and take the week off work if I can.

Thanks again, L xx

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Hi Laura, I found the IUI quite a simple procedure. I rested straight after having it for the evening but lots of people go back to work. I was off work for my first tx and worked through my second one. I suppose it's down to personal choice. As long as you don't lift anything too heavy and don't do anything you regret then anything goes. Good luck  ^reiki^ ^hugme^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts