Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wondered whether one of the nurses (or anyone) may be able to give me some advice/opinion regarding my failed cycle ...

I had 2 embryos (4 cell & 6 cell) transferred on 6/10.  I managed to get to day 11 of the 2ww when af arrived.  It started with brown spotting and turned into a full period.  All through the 2ww I felt very well with only minor side effects of the cyclogest (2 a day).

I'm due to have a follow up appt with my consultant with regards to what may be done better next time or why this time failed before we even made it to the test day.  Do you have any ideas of why this may have been or any key questions I need to ask/tests I should get done?

Also, is it common for a period to arrive before the end of the 2ww?  I would be interested to hear of any success stories as at the moment am feeling quite deflated as you can imagine.

Thanks in advance
Cassidy
x

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hi Cassidy,

sorry to here of nasty  ^No AF^... i cant really help with what happened to you, but i just wanted to say i really  feel 4u..

^hugme^  sending u a big hug and i really hope someone on this site can help you..

Sweetcheeks xxx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cassidy,

Sorry youve had a negative result.
My situation is a bit like yours, I started bleeding on day 13 on on off and have just been hospital to take my test in and its a  ^BFN^.
I had a 5 cell grade 1/2 and a 2 cell grade 1 put back and the hospital cannot give any reasons for why some fail.
Im just going to have a few beers today and then concentrate on planning my next time.

Good luck for next time a nd I hope you get some answers to your questions.

Ruby M x

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there,
I am so sorry to hear of your negative result.  I know how you feel as we failed on our first cycle.  You can't even begin to imagine how things can ever be different and why any future cycles should work.
But I'm here with a success story!  I have my second cycle 3 months after my first and the whole process was very similar.  I had a similar experience on the injections, a similar number of eggs collected and fertilised, 2 embryos transferred as before etc. etc. I had lost the naive positivity you have first time and was quite negative about the 2nd cycle, yet on day 14 of the 2ww we tested and it was positive!!  We could believe it and we certainly couldn't explain it.
My advice would be to try not to find logical answers all the time.  This whole area of science is such a grey area and there are no real answers as to wh one cycle works and another one fails.  All I can say is keep up hope because it will happen for you.
I'm due in January and another good friend of mine is due in February after her 5th attempt at ICSI - yes, FIVE!!  So it can happen any time....  Keep the faith.
Love Katie x

·
Registered
331 Posts
Cassidy,

Sorry to hear about your negative cycle. 

I just wanted to say that like Katie we had a failed cycle first time round but went on to have a BFP on our second go 6 months later.

I know it seems hopless right now but you will start to fee positive again and hopefully next time will be your turn.

Good luck

Debs

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya Girls,

Thanks so much for your replies/support - it means so much as you know.

Ruby - Sorry to hear about you -ve hun.  I can relate to having a 'few' beers  ;D  I've more than made up for the no alcohol rule whilst in tx over the last couple of days  ::) 

Katie - It's brilliant to hear of a success story.  As you say, we're all somewhat naive on the 1st go so I was not sure whether bleeding before the end of the 2ww was 'usual' or not.  Well done you anyway - go girl!  :)

Debs - Well done you aswell on your success - I only hope I and Ruby follow you both.

My follow up appt is on Monday evening and I'm going to ask about further progesterone support (was on 2 x cyclogest) and possibly steroids as I have an arthritic condition which may be affecting things aswell.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
Luv Cass
x

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,

An update from the follow-up appt ...

I went armed with a list of questions and the doc was very patient with us (ok me!) and tried his best to answer them all.  I asked why AF interruped the 2ww - reply was that he thought it unlikely that implantation happened and that day 11 is the exact day AF would have been due.  Some girls who make it to the end of the 2ww but test -ve may have had implantation but it wasn't sustained for whatever (several poss) reasons.  So, then I went on to ask about the prog support - was it sufficient/absorbed ok etc (i've read that CARE are no longer using cyclogest due to absorbtion issues), reply - he thought 2 a day was sufficient - I may question this again nearer the next tx cycle.  I said that I definately wanted to try steroids in our next cycle (due to having an auto-immune disease since 1996) and took an article with me re anti-inflams possibly stopping inplantation - he was v.interested in it and kept a copy to read/digest.  He supported me in the steroids and said he will look to putting me on them about a month before tx (20 mg a day) and wean me off the anti-inflams, if pg is achieved then steroids will continue and wean off by 3rd month (what a result!!). 

Next time he's also going to start me on 4 powders (rather than 3 like last time) as I said I was disappointed with only 7 eggs.  He did say that they were v.good quality tho and produced good embies (although only 3 out of 7).  All in all I came away feeling optimistic about our next tx and can't wait to get started.  I imagine it'll be beginning of next year.

Hope you're all well

Luv Cass
xx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Cassidy,

Thanks for the update.
Glad you've got some of the answers that you needed.
What are the powders you will be taken ?
For my last icsi cycle I Had puregon injections in the morning for stopping ovulating and gonal f injections two weeks later in the evening, continuing with puregon in the morning.
I don't know what i will get on a fet cycle.
Its good that you have come away a lot more optimistic.
I feel quite optimistic at the moment and just want to get on with our next try, I wish I could just wake up and time to of moved on and be starting my next go.
Did have a bad morning though, half way through my day at work, on the way to the toilet, my eyes filled up with tears and i got to the loo and balled my eyes out.
Luckily no-one noticed , only my best mate at work.
I didn't really cry last week when I got my negative result, so I suppose its was just catching up with me.
I think I'm going to get myself a good book on infertility and catch up with anything that might help between now and my next go.
I know you said you think your next try will be next year, will you have to wait for an appointment to come through ?
Are you nhs or private ?

Take care
Ruby M x

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ruby,

The drugs I was on were Buserelin for d/r and Menopur for stimms.  I'm assuming i'll be on the same next time.
I know what you mean about bursting out crying - it seems to just creep up on you sometimes doesn't it!
Re the book on infertility - you've prob read it but the best I found was Zita West's Fertility and Conception.  I've borrowed
loads of books on IF from the library over the last few months and that was the best one of the lot.  I've ordered my own
copy too!

I spoke to the nurse today and she says we may have to wait until April for our next go - seems so so long away.
Hopefully she may be able to sneak us in earlier but i'm not holding my breath  :(  We are private but as there is no NHS list
in our area everyone is private so I think that's why there is such a wait. 

Hope you're well.  Take care
Luv Cass
xx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Cassidy,

I have just ordered the latest Zita West book from amazon tonight and also a book about nutrition, lets see if they help.
Its a shame that you will have to wait being private, I always assumed that private people could suit theirselves.
I will be private on my fet go.
How much will a full treatment cycle cost you ?
I will have to have icsi again if the fet doesnt work and pay next time.
I have started looking around at different clinics alredy, as I wont stay where i am
if it fails, the hospital is nice and the staff are great but the results are a lot lower than a lot of the other hospitals, so I think it will be worth moving.

Take care
Ruby M  x

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ruby

Hope you're doing ok hun.  Our full private cycle of tx (ICSI) cost £2450 + drugs which were just over £500. Last time we also spend near on £300 on acupuncture too but probably wouldn't bother with that again.
Unfortunately from the cycle we didn't get any frozen embies so we'll have to do the whole lot again - it'd have only cost about £500 if we'd have had a FET !!

Hope you had a lovely weekend
Take Care
Luv Cass
x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Ladies,
I have not been on this site for a while, but going through my 3rd attempt @ ICSI at the moment, before that tied IVF 3 times all failed.  I would just like to say good look to you all, and it is great to read your stories and know none of us are on our own.

Love Ladyjane  xx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Ladyjane,

Yes, were certainly not alone, I only joined the site about a month ago and was so surprised that there are so many people , with so many problems.
Its good to get other people advice and support especially during treatment times.
Im currently waiting to see my consultant regarding doing a fet cycle, wanted to start it before xmas, but unsure whether its best to, in case it ruins our xmas, with all the stress/results etc -only just got our bfn 11 days ago.
Good luck with your treatment.

Cassidy,

I know it is still a lot of money but it sounds a little  bit cheaper than what I think some people have ended up paying, from reading their stories on here.
If i go where I had my nhs go at, i think its, £2000 for ivf, £850 for isci, £90 per scan and blood test and then the drugs.
I think i had about 6 scans last time all in all.
Dont think I had too high doses of drugs though, so I might be able to save some there.

Keep smiling , we will get there in the end.

Ruby Maria. x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Girls !  I'm new to this so would just like to say "HEllo" to you all.  It's so reassuring hearing your stories and knowning that I'm not alone, even though I feel it at times.  I've just had my 2nd ICSI cycle with a BFP after 2WW but sadly MC at 7 weeks.  Same happened last year but MC at 9 weeks.  I've got 4 frozen embryos so hoping to have a go in new year with them.  If not I don't know what's next.  It costs £5,300 here and there is a 4 year wait on NHS so that is not an option (i'm 37 & DH is 47).  Had major OHSS last year on Gonal F but was fine on Menopur this time.  It's such a roller coaster from start to finish and no promises of good news at the end but we all just have to go with it and have hope.  Clare.x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.