Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1st ICSI

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  sparkle38 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

Am due to start 1st ICSI cycle on 8th Feb.  Things have moved quite quickly for me.  My dp and I visited the GP in Sept and two SAs confirmed severe male factor infertility.  Two visits to a urologist confirmed no known reason for the problem and no suggested treatment. 

We paid for a BUPA consultation in Dec and they advised ICSI.  On a phone call they said I can start on 8th Feb straight onto Suprafact as down regulating isn't necessary.

My worry, is that I haven't had any investigations at all.  Is this normal with male factor infertility?  Don't they carry out any tests at all on the woman? 

I did have blood tests with my GP, which I was told were normal.  The clinic did a scan at my first appointment and said the ovaries looked normal with an appropriate number of follicles.  But, is that it?

A friend has just been through IVF (though for different reasons, she had blocked fallopian tubes) and had numerous blood tests beforehand and during.  I am scheduled for 3 scans during treatment, but to the best of my knowledge, no blood tests. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks

ClaireB

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
Same for me too... I asked and they said that the process bypasses any female probs such as blocked tubes endo.  etc, so the female possible probs are taken out of the equation. Hope that helps xx
Claire L x

#3 ·
Hi All,

I started 1st ICSI,on Jan 23rd.  Started with 375 Gonal f  everyday then cetrocide 0.25 starting today. I have a scan tomorrow to see how things are. I've been feeling a bit spaced out but other than that no symptoms from drugs so far, I'm drinking loads of water and milk, also having eggs everday as high in protein, supposed to help prevent OHSS. I'm 43! DH had failed reversal Vasectomy so thought we would give ICSI a go. DH has four kids from his previous marriage so if it fails we have them in our lives,they are wonderful! Anyway feeling a bit nervous about it all.

Claire, Before I started, I had 3 scans monitoring my cycle to see if I ovulated, but could be because of my age. I also had some blood tests FSH etc and they said everthing was ok.

Good luck to everyone, I would like to join this thread as we are all on 1st ICSI if that is ok?

Pink Lady

#4 ·
Claire - DW felt left out at first due to mae factor but trust me you'll get more than enough prodding poking and injecting in time!!  Then you won't feel left out  ;D  ;)  ;D

I would presume you've had the HIV/AIDS blood tests?

Regards
Andy

#5 ·
Hi Claire

We're severe MF too and I didn't have anything other than HIV/Hep/FSH and a scan.  My DH also had Cystic Fybrosis test, to see if he is a carrier - which I hope your man had?

It all depends on the clinic but yes, it is pretty normal for the woman to be ignored in cases of MF (just about everyone on the MF thread has had the same sort of run-up).

Without wanting to sound alarmist, do ask your clinic if you can get sperm on ice.  Your profile said less than 1million?  Purely as a precaution, but it's wise to have something as a back-up.  I really don't want to alarm you but it's well worth the peace of mind given you don't know the cause...

Best of luck with your cycle, we'll be cheering you on!!!

#6 ·
Sperm on ice?!  :eek: Sounds like a musical spectacular, whatever happened to Tourvill & Dean....

Andy

#7 ·
Like Andy, the only tests they did on me were to check my FSH, HIV/Hep B and a quick internal prod of the ovaries (very pleasant).  Hopefully, it has worked out alright!!! ;D

#8 ·
Sorry Andy, I have just read back my post - I didn't mean to imply that you had your ovaries prodded!  ;D

#9 ·
Pink Lady

My husband and I have just had the same news as you Failed vesectomy reversal. Can you tell me the timescales involved etc

#10 ·
Hi Scotslass,

We have gone private, so didn't have to wait. I don't know your details but if DH had blockage, it may be worth investigating a reversal reversal, my doctor had a stint or shunt put in on a reversal reversal, it's like a very small straw in the tube, it worked for him his wife got pregnant twice! Also my friends DH  had R R (without no stint) after she tried two failed attempts at ICSI, then she got PG twice, now has two boys! We didn't do R R cos I'm 43 I was advised to do ICSI from a time point of view.

Regards Pink Lady

#11 ·
I never knew you could do that! However I think he may scream at the thought!! Poor soul had so much done down there!

#13 ·
I will do thanks

#14 ·
Hi Claire

I start my first icsi cycle on 8th feb also.  My DP has low sperm and low motility but i also had a laporoscopy at the start of our investigations due to painful periods.  Thats when i told them about our lack of conception so they investigated my reproductive organs also.  Everything was fine TG and since then i have blood tests and hormone tests as well as 2 smears (we have been at this a while). Good luck with your cycle and keep me posted on your progress.  Take it ez

nu2

#15 ·
Hi Claire

We had our first ICSI last May/June and as you can see we were blessed with a positive and our baby is due in 6 weeks - miracles do happen.

We were initially referred to our clinic by our GP after I had no period for 3 months and we had been ttc for over a year.  Blood tests showed that my progesterone was virtually nil but as they also insist on sperm testing as part of the referred they found the MF problems. 

ICSI was the only option for us because of the MF.  No further tests for me apart from standard blood tests HIV/HEP/rubella/FSH as required by HFEA.  I queried further investigations but they did tell me that the ICSI bypassed any other potential problems for me anyway.  DP also had gene tests for Kleinfelters syndrome and Cystic Fibrosis (important for us anyway as it is in my family) - your DP should have these.

Best wishes for your treatment
LindaJane

#16 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone - all very reassuring.

I have had HIV/Hep testing.  dp is awaiting results from cystic fibrosis screening and we have frozen some sperm.

I'm just finding my way around the site, if I can find it, I will join the thread for those currently undergoing treatment.  So maybe speak to some of you there.

Thanks again.

#17 ·
Hi Sharon

I am waitng for my 1st ICSI to start as well. I have had my FSH test which came in at 7.1 - I was told by my clinic that any result under 10 is ok. There is so much information to take in and I agree about being nervous!

There is a good article about FSH levels at :

http://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm

At the bottom of this web page is this list on FSH levels :

Less than 9 Reassuring level. Expect a good response to ovarian stimulation.

9 - 10 Fair. Response is between completely normal and somewhat reduced (response varies widely). Overall, a somewhat reduced live birth rate.

10 - 12 Reduced ovarian reserve. Usually show a reduced response to stimulation and some reduction in egg and embryo quality with IVF. Reduced live birth rates on the average.

12 - 17 Generally show a more marked reduction in response to stimulation and usually a further reduction in egg and embryo quality with IVF. Low live birth rates.

Over 17 "No go" level in our center. Very poor (or no) response to stimulation. No live births. "No go" levels must be individualized for the particular lab assay and IVF center.

Good Luck with your 1st ICSI

Hope this helps
Audrey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.