Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi hope you can help im worried sick,

Ive just had my 20 wk scan and she said the baby was fine,but there is fluid on both of its kidneys,she did say that this is fairly common and that i have to go back for another scan.However i have just googled this condition and it says that it also apparent in babies with down syndrome,however it is a poor marker.I go back for a scan when im 33wks.The sonogragher didnt say there were any markers but would she have to tell me.She just said that everything was ok with the baby and detected nothing unusual,other than my low lying placenta and the fluid in the kidneys.

I wish id never googled this condition as now im worried sick again :(  is nothing plain sailing when your pregnant.

hope you can put my mind at ease,but please be honest.

thanks janine xx

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear that you are worried, I know the feelings you're having about worrying as I was told that there was too much amniotic fluid and when I googled it there were all sorts of potential problems, including chromosomal problems and I'd convinced myself that all was not well and just simply could not sleep.  In the end DH arranged an appointment with the consultant at our hospital who put our mind at rest, had a feel around and arranged another scan for the following week adn thankfully it came back that all was ok. 

If the sonographer said that everything was ok with your baby then I'd work on the basis that all is ok as they can't mislead you, however, I personally wouldn't be prepared to wait for 13 weeks for another scan - it would drive me mad with worry.  When our consultant initially saw us he said to call in whenever we were worried and that's what we did - the hospital are there to help you out when needed, I didn't care that I got a couple of 'paranoid woman' looks.

The internet is great is many ways but can also cause unnecessary worry too.  I'd tell your midwife about your worries and if you don't get anywhere see if you can see the doctor in charge of your care.

Good luck

xx

·
Premium Member
24,203 Posts
Hi Hun

Sparklequeen her babies had the same thing but at her next scan her little girls were fine and little boys were better, i think her cons said that the kidneys maybe fine by next scan and if not all he needed was anti b's at birth  ;)

Try pming her im sure she wont mind  :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Emmet...that's who I was referring to in my post too...I'm sure she will help

x

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
If they were worried they would have you back in a couple of weeks. The fact that they don't want to see you for another few months is a very good sign. It is common, but obviously unless everything is *perfect* we worry.

www.arc-uk.org can always listen if you want to talk to someone.

Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

Take care
Deb

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hiya :)

Yep, like Emmett and Alice said (hi you two ;)), both of my little ones were diagnosed with fluid in their kidneys at my anomoly scan. I too was worried sick, and spoke to my midwife about it who said its very common nand usually rectifies itself. They were fine with me waiting 4 weeks to see my cons, (and the midwife said that its more than the sonographer's job is worth if they dont refer you immediately if they think you need it) and i had a serial growth scan at this cons appt (cos im having twins) and the fluid in the kidneys had increased slightly, although noone seemed too concerned as they could see the bladder was working which meant that the kidenys were working too. I was then asked to see another cons (as my exisiting cons didnt feel he knew enough to advise me), and waited 2 weeks for this scan/appt which was on Monday (27 weeks). This was a detailed scan where she thoroughly looked at the kidneys, and told me that my daughter's kidney size was now in the normal range, and only one of my son's kidneys was only very slightly dialted over the average (i guess cos the babies had grown so the size of them was more relative). She wrote on my scan report that she didnt think it was enough for any cause for concern at this stage, and that she wanted to re-scan me at 32 weeks where she fully expected it would have rectified itself. She said if for some reason it hadnt then it would be antibiotics after birth for about 3 months and then he would be fine.
I deliberately didnt google it after my anomoly scan as i really didnt want to know - but its interesting what you say about it possibly relating to Downs as both of our babies are very low risk. Did you have a nuchal done?
If you want to PM me with the sizes of kidneys on your scan report, you can compare them to mine if you like if it will help to put your mind at rest.
Im now confident its not as serious as i first feared, and the babies will be fine. If it was serious, like Charlie's mum said, they would want to see you a lot sooner than 32 weeks considering that is 12 weeks away for you.
Do you have a consultant? Im not sure if ladies pg with singletons have them or not - sorry :-\ If you do, ask for a scan midway between to check on the fluid (if its increasing/decreasing etc and by how much) or ask your doc to refer you for a scan, or call your day assessment clinic at the hosptial and tell them how worried you are and they might be able to get a cons who knows a bit about it to scan you and put your mind at rest.
I hope this helps a little bit, but like i say if you want any more info then dont hesitate to ask ;)
Good luck hun, and do try not to worry!
Love
Sparkles xx

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello everyone ,

I'd just like to say a big big thank you to you all for your advice  :-* ,Sparklequeen you have put my mind at ease,  :) i see my consultant in 2 weeks so i will be able to question him on this matter,i didnt have a nuchal scan but did have the screening test which came back low risk,and she didnt say how much fluid there was only that it was on both of them but she did say something about the bladder looked like it was working ok so i guess im worrying over nothing but it is hard not to.I just want to be able to start enjoying being pregnant.

thanks ever so much again and sparklequeen i hope your ds kidney drains and all is well with him when he makes his arrival.

lots of love janine xx

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi Jini
I was told this at around my 20 week scan and I was worried sick however they did say that chances were it would rectify itself and I too went home and googled it I can't remember the name of the condition but if you have it search and you will get a few posts from me around that time....anyhow my point is that my son was fine and has never had any problems with his kidneys he is now 2 1/2 years old so please don't fret too much easier said than done I know..

Take care
Mary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts