Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recent cancelled cycle I was due to start new short protocol cycle this week.  Consultant suggested that due to poor response on last long protocol on 300 Gonal F and recent alternate short and normal monthly cycles (which he said indicative that i was moving further into menopause), that this was the last go before moving on to donor eggs (which i told him we weren't interested in) and we didn't have time to test month after month until hormone profile had improved so we should just go ahead with higher dose 450 Gonal F even if there were only 2 or 3 follies.  I had a scan and blood tests on Weds and was over the moon to have 5 follies on one side and 1 large follie on the other left over from last month (which he said could be hiding others) - was feeling elated after such a dreadful time last month with only 3 follies on day 1. 

I got the results of the blood tests back yesterday and my FSH had gone up to 17.5 (not great i know but last had it tested over a year ago and was 14.9).  The consultant said he didn't want to go ahead with the cycle as my progesterone was too high (4 when it should be under 2, but preferably under 1.5).  He said he'd read some research in the last few weeks that shows that pregnancy is not likely with elevated progesterone.  I reluctantly accepted his advice as i'm really worried that next time we'll back to hardly any follies again.

I saw my accupuncturist in the afternoon who said he'd never heard of a cycle being cancelled for progesterone being too high, which made me feel even more unsure.  I rang my consultant back and asked whether it was worth having a day 2 progesterone test to see if it had been tested a bit soon and was now normal.  He said no, and that it wasn't the only reason, he would also like to wait for a month with lower FSH.  I told him i was finding it really hard to let go of a cycle with so many follies, but think that is fair enough (sort of) and makes more sense that basing it just on progesterone levels. 

I went to a private clinic anyway and got it retested to put my mind at rest, and have just had the results which were 3.  So based on his research he made the right decision which actually made me feel better.  What i'm really confused about is why i can't find any info about progesterone levels on day 1-3 :- am i the only person that has had this advice, and if it's right, what can i do to bring it down, i don't want to find myself in the same position next month, if i'm lucky enough to have my FSH come down.

The other thing that's really bothering me is how we've gone from being advised that we don't have time to wait and keep testing until we find a better month, to being told to wait another month.  I guess it could be that there were more follies this month and therefore he thinks the pictures improved, or with my funny cycles he thought my FSH would be even worse - what does anyone think, had this happened to them and what did they do?

Sorry for such a long post, i've been finding coming on here too overwhelming since my 1st failed IVF last July, as my father died 2 weeks later (hence the long gap before i felt able to start again), which means i haven't had much support from people going through the same thing, and i've ended up with loads of worries/questions all bundled up together.

Thank you for any advice/reassurance, feeling a bit wobbly again!
Kirstie

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
  Kirsty,

I am sorry that you have had no response to your question  ^hugme^

I have never responded well ( usually just 2 eggs )

I am really sorry about whats happened & I hope you can start again soon.

with those follies ready to burst maybe you could do lots of bms ( every other day
  & hope for the best  :)

Hugs Katy,. xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Katy, i'd kind of given up on the o!d fashioned way, but why not try it, as you say there are 5 there.  Sometimes it's good just to write it down and get a bit of perspective and it was a big waff!e!
thanks
Kirstie

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I've never heard of this but then, it appears it's new research if I'm reading your post correctly ?

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this....I can imagine it must be so frustrating and annoying to not know what's going on and then to have your treatment cancelled.

I really can't offer much in the way of advise I'm afraid but wanted to wish you lots of luck, especially if you do decide to ttc naturally this month ;)

Take care...and good luck ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for our support Natasha, fingers crossed for you to next week. 

Yes he said he has read it in the !ast few weeks, i think he's pretty on the button, i'm at Guy's and it's part of a big teaching hospita!, so they tend to keep pretty up to date.
cheers
Kirstie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts