Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Peter

Please could you tell me why some clinics do a 2 day transfer and others a 3 day transfer? Surely it's better to do it on day 3 because the embryologist will have a clearer idea about egg development?

Similarly, wouldn't all ET's be better at the blastocyst stage so that you have a clearer idea of which embryos are going to succeed (even if you only have a few or the embryos don't progress as intended and there's no ET). I think I'd rather know that an embryo wouldn't make it at this stage rather than going thru' et and having 2 weeks wait in false hope?

Also, I saw on a previous email query that embryos float around for 4/5 days post ET (presumably multiplying) - if they then did implant should there be implantation bleeding? and if you don't get any bleeding presumably this is a sign that you're not pregnant?
Thank you

Alice

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

alicer said:
Hello Peter

Please could you tell me why some clinics do a 2 day transfer and others a 3 day transfer?

It is largely convenience. Many clinics only provide a 5 or 6 days a week service. This means that an egg collection on Friday has a transfer on Monday. There is no science behind it at all!

Surely it's better to do it on day 3 because the embryologist will have a clearer idea about egg development?

Yes and no. It certainly lets us see if embryo cleavage is continuing but on the other side of the coin the best place for embryos is in a uterus so day 2 may therefore be a better option.

Similarly, wouldn't all ET's be better at the blastocyst stage so that you have a clearer idea of which embryos are going to succeed (even if you only have a few or the embryos don't progress as intended and there's no ET).

Not many embryos make it to blastocyst in the lab so if we went down this path there would be relatively few embryo transfers. I think that patients in general would not like the blastocyst approach. The 'best place is the uterus' argument also applies here.

I think I'd rather know that an embryo wouldn't make it at this stage rather than going thru' et and having 2 weeks wait in false hope?

If you feel strongly about this you should discuss blastocyst culture with your clinic.

Also, I saw on a previous email query that embryos float around for 4/5 days post ET (presumably multiplying) - if they then did implant should there be implantation bleeding?

Not necessarily, inplantation bleeds only occur in a few patients.

and if you don't get any bleeding presumably this is a sign that you're not pregnant?

No not at all. The implantation bleed is not diagnostic, it is simply something that some people experience.

A very good set of questions, thanks!

Peter

Thank you

Alice

1 - 2 of 2 Posts