Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Age 38, ttc 3 years and no BFPs, 1st IVF cycle
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time I've posted and not sure if this is the right place!
Currently going through my first IVF cycle. I'm 6 days past my 5 day transfer and am worried about some light AF type cramps I experienced yesterday. This morning there was a small smear of bright red blood when I went to the toilet, but no bleeding or cramps since. No other really noticeable symptoms so far.
If this was a few days ago I would have put it down to implantation, but everything I am reading suggests that this is too late to be implantation. Im worried its a sign my period is on its way. Its happened before with my cycle that I'll get a few cramps up to a week before AF, and I'm so used to disappointment I'm struggling to maintain hope.
I'm 38 with no identified fertility issues besides my age. trying for 3 years and never had a BFP. I had only 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, two made it to day 5 but one was an early ungraded blastocyst, and the other was still at the 9 cell stage. The doctor put both back but I could tell she didn't think the 9 cell was going to do anything.
Just wondering if I may have had slightly later implant due to the slow developing embryos I had put back. I know is a small hope but really desperate to hear for anyone else who's had a similar IVF experience. 2ww is so hard, and feels twice as hard with IVF. BFP and BFN experiences both welcome. Thank you ladies x

Registered
Me 44, DP 42, TTC 2013, 2 MCs, 2 failed IVF, currently donor egg IVF
Hi Adelaide,
I wouldn't worry just yet. Don't pull yourself down.
I'm in the same shoes. Had a stage five (donor) blastocyst transferred on monday. Bit of cramps straight after and a bit next day. Then quiet since until today, had a tiny pain again, no spotting though.
I've read so much about it in Google as well what should and when happen but it messes your head.
It's an awful two weeks but try not to over thinking things.
When is your test day?
Fingers crossed 馃馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance gamrguk77. It really is so hard not the worry about or read into every little thing in this waiting period. And even if I do get a positive I will just move on to worrying about a chemical pregnancy, then a miscarriage o_O. But I'd be grateful even to make it that far too.
My clinic has asked me to test on day 11 which for me is next Wednesday. You must be testing a couple of days after that right? Wishing you all the luck in the world x

Registered
Hey you,

Yes, Friday is my day. Honestly, I can feel what you feel. Itching to do a test but I can't.
Is this your first IVF?
I had two transfers years ago with my own eggs. Neither of them worked. So here I am with donor eggs and with unexplained infertility. Although my age is 44 I'm fit and young in spirit lol, so don't know what's wrong with my body but didn't want to risk it as I'm doing it private this time.
If you wanna chat I'm here.
I had this support group back since after my second miscarriage. And I can tell you it's easier to talk to someone who doesn't know you nor see you, doesn't judge you and going through the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes my first IVF cycle. I haven't been diagnosed with any specific fertility issue, though I have many indications of endometriosis. But given that I only got 4 eggs this cycle, even with extended stimulation, I think I can see what my major difficultly is. Husband has three kids already and his sperm analysis was good, so most likely my poor eggs! Anyway, hoping for a miracle this time, but if I don't get it we can afford to try once more.
Donor eggs should give you a strong chance, though I know its still an unknown every time. Sorry to hear about your miscarriages. Tt must be heartbreaking to feel like your getting so close only to loose it all again.
I've been on this group past for a couple of months since I first started stims. Its very comforting and validating reading the comments of people who are going through the same struggle, and i find myself grinning with delight at complete strangers success stories.
Really hoping this time it's you. And me obvs :LOL:

Registered
I remember my first IVF. I had 9 eggs collected, they said 3 made it to day5. But, in the same time they thought I might have some fluid around my ovaries, so waking up for the news that they won't transfer any fresh, was breaking my heart. They froze them. While I was waiting for a surgery with my fluid, I've got pregnant second time (miscarried few weeks later) so they cancelled my surgery. Everything was too much and I needed some time off. So we delayed the transfer. After we had the first blastocyst transferred I started bleeding, like bad in a week time. Ended up in A&E. It was a shock. Few months later I had my last two eggs transferred, one not so good one and one good one. Wasn't good enough though and the same happened.
So if you bleed a bit, has a tiny brown or pinkinsh spotting on your underwear it's fine. I'm more worried that I didn't have it so far. If AF is here that would be a bigger appearance.
What drugs you're on? And how many?
Would you ever consider a donor egg?
My partner also has a child, so I'm a part time step mum, but it's not the same. I wanna feel pregnant, wanna see my belly grows, and not just because of the lots of estrogen and progesterone what I'm taking now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What an awful expereince to have gone through! I think the lack of bleeding this time is surely a good sign? I've read plenty of success stories where people got no symptoms whatsover for weeks.
My spotting was bright red, but it was literally just a single wipe. Nothing in my knickers. I usually start to get brown then pink discharge 3-4 days before my period starts but this was not like that. Anyway I'm trying not to read into it. So much going on in our bodies right now it could be anything!
Im just taking cyclogest pessaries twice a day for the progesterone. I felt more symptoms after the trigger injection, sore boobs etc, but that faded a few days after the egg collection. What are you on?
Im a part time step mum too! I dont know how you've found it but I have really struggled having he kids around since the IVF started. They're great but they remind me of what I dont have and I feel too focused on myself to give them much attention. Yeah I totally get you, I wish my partners kids were enough but theyre not. Its not the same at all.
We talked about Doner eggs but we both prefer the idea of adoption if this doesnt work out.
How was the donor process if you dont mind me asking? Did you get much choice and how much info did you have?

Registered
[QUOTE="AdelaideABL, post: 7605418, member:
UOTE]
Your tiny bleeding is a good sign!!!It was your implantation smear. That's how my nurse described it to me, said" if it happens don't be scared, it's a good thing." Honestly, my toes &fingers are crossed for you.
I take a lot of medicine. Three Ultragestan vaginally-progesteron, five Elleste Solo-estrogen, and estrogen patches every second day. My lining didn't grow last month, so they raised my doses this time. All the sign of pregnancy/period is visible on me, like big and very tender breats, bloated belly, tiredness. That's why is so tricky with me, can't even separate any symptoms cos they all the same.
My partner's daughter is 13, so she doesn't really communicate with us that much when she comes over,if she decides at all. Just go in her room, only comes out to eat lol teenagers.
Remember how much it hurt me to look at other babies when I lost my first one. I felt jealous, thought the whole world is against me, everything felt unfair. It's normal they say to go through a lot of different emotions. Gotta stay positive, smooth your belly, speak to the baby.
I'll continue later, gotta go back to work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear you've been having more uncomfortable side effects. I luckily havent really experienced any soreness ot tiredness so far. Bloating and wind, yes! :LOL: I know thats being caused by the progesterone pessaries. Ive been super hungry of late too, but again I think thats just my reaction to the stress of it all.
I really hope that was an implantation smear like you said, but not ready to beleive anything just yet!
I'm itching to test now. Only 4 days away, but got to stay strong!!
My step kids are 5, 9 and 15. We only have the younger two every other weekend, and the eldest visits more sporadically but stays for longer, especially in the holidays. He's full blown teenager too, restricted to his bedroom :ROFLMAO:
Ok gonna go get some rest and speak some some positive words to my belly!
Keep me updated on how things go for you x

Registered
Finally at home. Was a long day at work.
So, about the donor. Few years ago with my ex husband, we choose to try through a clinic, where it was an egg sharer donor. The lady also went fir IVF and we would get four eggs from her. But something went wrong with her stimulation and it's been cancelled. Then, the only information we got is height, weight, eye colour, skin color. Wasn't really a lot to choose from so.
This time I bought eggs from an egg bank. It was more professional. I logged on their website, put on my search criteria and straight could read all the suitable ladies profiles. Also contains the basic data, plus blood type, occupation, hobbies. Sometimes the donor handwrite a letter about her family background which is nice, and there's a questionnaire as well what they also fill out and I had access to it. But It was a LOT of ladies to choose from. They I narrowed it down to 3 and me and my partner picked one. Contacted the egg bank, payed, waited a week then they transported the 6 eggs to my clinic. Was very easy. Every clinic should offer you consultation with a counsellor. I had that last time so didn't do it now. But it was very useful. Helped me to understand that the baby still gonna get something from me as a mum, not genetics but I will feed it and grow it in my belly so it will be mine in a way. Doesn't bother me anymore( it used to) that I won't be a biological mum. And when the time comes I'll tell her/him the truth.
With my ex husband we thought first we try donor,and if that won't work, adoption. But we never got there.
My new partner is only agreed to go through with the IVF. I do believe it will work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My clinic did provid counselling very early on, which I did take up but ended up being more about non IVF related stuff as my dad had just passed away. I think its great that they do offer counselling though, it can be really important.
I think with Donor eggs you will be the mum in all the ways that matter and like you said, you will grow the baby in your body and share your food and blood all through that time. I beleive it will work out for you too, just got to stay positive 馃檹 xx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey gamrguk, wanted to reach out to you for advice again. I took a test this morning and it was positive! I'm obviously two days before my OTD, 9 days past my day 5 transfer and 16 days past my trigger injection. I had read that the HCG in the trigger injection takes 14 days to clear from you system so I hope this isn't a false positive but a little worried it still could be? Anyway will test again Wednesday to be sure, but so far feeling tentatively hopeful. Having never had a positive test before after years of trying I'm struggling to believe it 馃槀

Registered
OMG! 馃憦馃憦馃憦
I'm sure it won't change 鈽衡樅鈽
Will you have a blood test as well on Wednesday or a few days after? Only asking if they can tell you your HCG level.
I am so happy for you, honestly.
It's so hard to not to do test before your test day anyways.
Please don't stress about it. Just test tomorrow morning as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, yes I will test tomorrow as well as Wednesday to reassure myself. I don't have any of the digital ones so my line is faint but I guess it's early. I also didn't test first thing in the morning, which I heard gives a better result. I'd already gone to the loo twice by the time my resolve broke and I got the test out 馃槀
My clinic doesn't do blood tests unfortunately so will have to wait until 7 week scan to get any indication how well the pregnancy is doing. Hoping and praying with all my heart to make it that far.
I will be rooting for you on Friday too and sending lots of baby vibes your way! Hope you've been feeling OK? X

Registered
Testing from the first urine of the day is the best I heard, cos everything is more concentrated aka urine most yellow. Like minerals and hormones. I'm sure your line will get stronger and stronger by each testing. I would definitely found my way to get a HCG blood test, only because in my case I had early MCs, week 6 and 8. Just to give me a piece of mind.
Do you take any supplements? I do folic acid of course, iron, vitamin E, vitamin B6, magnesium daily. Nurse told me when I went for scans that vit E will help with my lining. Then I read that B6 helps to prevent MC and chromosome damage. Used to take zinc as well, not anymore. Magnesium helps to detoxify fertility muggers.
I'm ok-ish. They do say second week of waiting is more difficult. I was positive last week. Today demons are above my head trying to give me doubtful thoughts. Got a tiny pain going on, but it could be from the food last night, as I had lost of chillies 馃槀 it's hard not to read into the signs of your body. But I'll working tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday so that'll engage my brain.
I had a day 5 early stage blastocyst transferred last monday, so by calculator my implantation should have been around last Friday. Had no symptoms what so ever. But everyone is different they say. I take each day as it comes now until Friday. Hoping this little pain will go.
I just keep drinking lots of water and running to the loo every hour or so 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm taking a pregnancy multivitamin that includes folic acid, B6 and zinc. I also take vitamin D. Will pick up iron and vitamin E this week!
Did another test this morning and the line is clear and ever so slightly darker than yesterday, though not by much and not as dark as the control line. I guess that's normal in the early days? Anyway I feel much more reassured that I am actually pregnant, but now terrified of early loss and complications! I will speak to my clinic tomorrow about how I might get hcg blood tests done. I wouldn't mind paying for the extra reassurance.
The second week of waiting was most definitely harder for me too, I think you're carried through the first week by the relief of getting some embryos back inside you and then later all the doubts and fears creep in. I'm guessing the tiny pain isn't a bad thing, in fact I have something a little similar that comes and goes, more like a little pulsing twinge in my middle right, and if you've made it this far without getting all the signs your period is coming you're doing well. Just keep taking care of yourself and I will be keeping everything crossed for you x

Registered
Yessssss for a line!馃檹馃檹馃檹
But please, don't over think it and stress about future!
Can't wait for tomorrow for you 馃槉
Let me know how it went with the clinic.
Anyway, where about you from the UK?
And wanted to ask you, are you still working through the TWW?
I had a bit of anxiety breakdown begin of August and was signed off my GP for two weeks break. Work, stress and two cancelled cycle got me.
I'm so much more chilled now. Started doing yoga and some self help treatment.
But things still going back and forward in my mind sometimes. You know, I don't even have a test at home, just gonna buy one on Friday. Wanna prevent rushing it and facing with the truth. 馃し

Registered
Hi Adelaide,

Just checking on you. How you getting on? Did you manage to get a blood test? You still doing a test each morning?
Thinking of you. X

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi gamrguk,

Thanks, I'm OK. I still had a positive on Wednesday so called the clinic to let them know. They don't do blood tests but they told me I should be 4 weeks pregnant and booked me in for a scan at 7 weeks, which isn't so long to wait.
My line was darker Thursday and today so feeling a bit better. I still don't have any real symptoms aside for feeling really tired!

I am thinking of you today and keeping everything crossed. Hoping this is your time xx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts