Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am due to start downregging on the 17th of June and I am contemplating having my GP sign me off for the 2ww.... I am not 100% convinced that I need to have it off as I dont have a particurlary demanding job (desk job) but now I have read that most people are having their 2ww off and Im wondering if I would be putting myself at risk if I went to work?? What are the pros and cons of having the wait off?? and also how do I get my GP to sign me off??

XXX

·
Registered
374 Posts
Everyone is different but personally I only had a week off during all three of my IVF attempts. I found that hard - I was going stir crazy and preferred to keep busy! Having said that it is important to rest and take it easy for a while following embryo transfer.  The clinic will sign you off for a week; I'm not sure if they sign you off for longer or not. I'm sure if you  went to a doctor they might. It's entirely up to you everyone is different and you've got to do what you think's best. Good luck Pip

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hiya

I had ET on the Friday and just rested on the Saturday and Sunday (not bed rest just didn't do anything too deamnding but still pottered around the house and acted quite normally)
I went back to work for the full 2 weeks and am now nearly 35 weeks pregnant...

Of course its up to you and how you feel but don't think I could have stayed at home waiting for test day!!!

Good luck with all of your treatment and fingers crossed for a BFP!!

Vickey
x

·
Registered
597 Posts
My clinic just said that you need a couple of days rest which was handy as ET was a Friday so I had the weekend!!
I always book the Thursday and Friday of the second week off  (this was our 3rd go) the Friday for the testing obviously and the Thursday in case AF had arrived and I couldn't face work!!

You really need to do whats best for you!! Maybe have a couple of days off work and see how you feel then go back if you want to!!

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

It really is personal choice and whilst some clinics will sign you off if you want it, they don't do that as standard.....most will advise you to rest up immediately after ET but then to carry on as normal.

Through 6 treatment cycles (4 IVFs & 2 FETs) I've tried various....signed off for full 2 weeks, signed off for 1 week, signed off for couple of days....returned to work straight away with no time off at all (other than between EC and ET).  I'd always take between EC and ET off because of the EC procedure and feeling sore/tender but once embies are back I really just try to carry on as normal.

Personally I don't think it has any baring at all on the outcome...think of all those women who have no idea they're pregnant and carry on.  If you have a physically demanding or very stressful job then it may be worth taking time off but if like me you work in an office and don't have to do any heavy lifting and can avoid any stress (or as much as possible) then I actually think being back at work makes the 2ww go quicker and keeps mind off over analysing symptoms (or lack of them !)

As I say, it really is up to you whether you take time off during 2ww but clinics don't sign you off as standard, unless you specifically ask....and then some clinics/consultants will sign you off....others will insist it's your GP who has to sign you off.

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Katie

I think your best off self certing for the first week and then if you feel like you still want the second week off get your GP to sign you off.

x x x

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi,

I have also tried every which way on all of my cycles and whilst 2 resulted in positives, although m/c later on both, I did things differently with both - so I have no real proof that one works over the other.

This time I have tried a completely different approach and we are having 2 weeks off work as annual leave - just chilling, visiting friends, doing the garden, that type of thing, leading up to EC. As EC is this Friday for us, it has worked out quite well. Our second week, we plan to get to a cottage for 4-5 days and just take things easy, however, this time, I am going to try Zita West's approach, having visited her recently and do the 3 day bed rest - haven't tried this one before but am happy to give anything a go and then have a little break away - making my 2 weeks!

In my workplace, IVF is classed as elective, so you cannot have a sick note for it, however, if they do not know why you are off then I'm sure your GP can come up with something gynae related, which in reality it is.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Natalie

x x x x

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
natalie34 said:
Hi,

I have also tried every which way on all of my cycles and whilst 2 resulted in positives, although m/c later on both, I did things differently with both - so I have no real proof that one works over the other.

This time I have tried a completely different approach and we are having 2 weeks off work as annual leave - just chilling, visiting friends, doing the garden, that type of thing, leading up to EC. As EC is this Friday for us, it has worked out quite well. Our second week, we plan to get to a cottage for 4-5 days and just take things easy, however, this time, I am going to try Zita West's approach, having visited her recently and do the 3 day bed rest - haven't tried this one before but am happy to give anything a go and then have a little break away - making my 2 weeks!

In my workplace, IVF is classed as elective, so you cannot have a sick note for it, however, if they do not know why you are off then I'm sure your GP can come up with something gynae related, which in reality it is.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Natalie

x x x x
Hi
can I just ask what Zita's 3 day bed rest advice is. Is that 3 days following ET? Sorry if I sound thick!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Hi ya :)

We have our EC on a Thursday and hopefully ET (Blasts) the following Tuesday.  I've booked holiday for the Thursday of EC through to the Friday (3dpt), as I would also like to have the Zita West 3 days rest post ET.  I think this is when implantation usually occurs??  :-\  I think if I stayed off work for the full 2ww I would go mad.  At least work would take my mind off things for a bit!

I was working as a mat cover temp here (cruel isn't it!) until just recently although they have now given me the position permanently.  I have booked holiday for the tx as I've already had 9 weeks off sick, following a disastrous lap and dye and subsequent bowel resection, so didn't feel I could take any more sick leave - they have really been very good though but I don't feel I can tell them about tx.  If this tx doesn't work then we'll have to think again, as I will have used most of my holiday for the rest of this year!

Good luck x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
KatieD said:
Hi Malteserslice,

Yes the 3 day bed rest that Zita reccomends is after ET, she encourages this as it helps the blood flow to the endometrium rather than away........... I will definatly be doing this aftre my ET!!!

XXX
Think you have hit the nail on the head there.

I also took Q10 which helps with blood flow :) :)

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I don't blame you hun.  If I hadn't had those 9 weeks off then I would defo be taking this time off as sick too!  Because I haven't been here long it just makes it a bit tricky though - I was in a job for 9 years before and only took about a week off in all that time.  I just don't want my new employers to think I'm a troublesome sickly one!!  ::)

I intend to milk the tww and get plenty of attention from DH and Mum too - why not!  ;)

Lully x x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts