Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is nothing I haven't tried.

We eat together, all have the same meal. But my son is driving me insane. He will NOT sit down/still for his meals. He thinks if he has some in his mouth he can just get up.
I've stopped snacks taken the toys away from the room. Turned fireman sam off. If I left him the food would still be there 2 hours later. once I remove the food he takes a huge tantrum. He is at nursey 2 mornings a week and when they tell me about meal times I'm like are you sure your talking about mine.
Its also the same if we go out so I'd rather stop in
I don't know what I'm doing so wrong? I never get to eat my meal as I'm up and down putting him back at the table.

Any advice please as I just dread meal times. Most of the time I could cry as I feel he just dose what he likes

Thanks kelli

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Kelli,

Have you tired reverting back to a highchair / booster seat for a while to see if that helps?  I know it will feel like a step back but it might work.

Birchie

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
K is just the same! It drives me mad!

We dont eat together due to work, and i know if we did it would make a huge improvement so we have now gone to being firm and ensure she sits in her booster seat for her tea and one of us sits with her depending on who is here and we allow her to have her breakfast and lunch sat nicely on the sofa!

I just hope it a 'phase' that they will grow out of!

I feel your frustration lovey!  ^hugme^

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Highchair is out the question he is houdini sp?
He can undo any thing. Thaks for your advice though

Lizzy oh no hugs to you. I've run out of ideas

he never drank bottles much due to bad reflux. He was weaned very young due to that. So I don't know if that's any thing to do with it. But he still won't sleep ether he is up at 430. I couldn't tell you the last time he napped in the day time. He is hyper 24/7 if I put him up at 7 he will want to play at 12 and so on until we get up at 430
He just wants to be on the go all the time. Tbh I'm so tired. I see other kids just sitting all happy eating there meal and think gosh I wish mine would do that. I just don't know what I've done or I'm doing so wrong.

Thanks kelli

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Kelli you have done nothing wrong! Every child is so different in every way possible!
I just think they are worried they are going to miss something and want to experience everything  ^hugme^

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Well put lizzym

K often gets up too.  With her she has a mouthful sometimes and decides she has "had her dinner"

Someone has advised me (only today when I had another battle at lunch) to give the 3 warnings test. 

1. Sit down and eat your dinner
2. Do you not want your dinner, do you want me to take it away
3. You get down again and I will take it away.

Then the trick I understand is to follow through...finding this very hard though but have been told they will learn that if they get down they dont eat...and they wont starve themselves.  We will see if I can get this to work though.... ::)  no idea yet although she did sit for longer for dinner tonight than she did for lunch.....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also done the warnings and he went and put his meal in the bin. He then took him self off too the naughty step and said yes ill sit here. He is only almost 3 and its as though consequences have no effect. I know its only a battle of wills and I will get there in the end.

I think I was hoping some 1 had some kind of magic words

Thanks for the advice xx

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Twiceblessed i like the sound of that 3 warnings, i think i shall try that from tomorrow! K goes to my parents on a monday and has tea there! Mind you she always sits at the table like a good girl and eats everything when she is there  ^bigbad^  They know how to push our buttons dont they  ::)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did the 3 warning at breakfast time. ive done it before but today he just laughed thinking i didnt mean it. oh yes i did i took it away after my 3rd 1. im going to see how i go with this. as he is older this time round. he did cry and i felt bad  :(  but ill have to be tougher

thanks kelli

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Yep they are doing it to push your buttons. I think we are also meant to ignore them once it has been taken away so they can see its no skin off your nose. Its hard tho!

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
yes normal here with a 3 year old!  Drives me insane!!!!  She is terrible at the moment and I do the 3 warning thing and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't just keep at it....and pour a huge glass of wine when they gone to bed  ;D

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must say my advive for a huge glass of wine worked lol

I kept to 3 warnings and this morning he sat never got up until he ate his breakfast. But 1 bowl wasn't enough he then had a banana and half of his sisters crumpit. He has never done this before. I don't know if he was just hungry from me removing his meals. But I'm in shock. I gave him lots of praise. He's over the moon with him self

Tanks kelli

1 - 12 of 12 Posts