Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Emily and Oink,

Please would you be able to put my mind at rest re Ben's upset tummy.

My little boy and I haven't got off to the best start with feeding due to jaundice, a tongue-tie and now nipple thrush.  I am expressing 5/6 times a day + once in the night and getting approx 4oz each time (but sometimes between 2-3oz) - Each feed he takes all the ebm that is available and often 2-3oz of SMA.  About one feed a day is all SMA as he is feeding more often than I can express.

I think 6oz is a lot for a 3 week old (he weighed 3.6k last Friday) but he guzzles it all down however in the evenings he seems to need even more, and whilst he still seems hungry we cannot settle him.  It is very difficult to wind him, but between the bouts of red faced, knees up screaming, he is mouthing for food and sucking his fingers.  If he falls asleep and we put him down he wakes within minutes, either wind or hunger.  This can go on for about 4 hours.

Then there is a lot of gurgling going on in his lower abdomen accompanied by lots of farts and pooing.  We do a lot of dirty nappy changes in the night!!  It seems to have become worse in the last few days and his little bottom is red raw, which I am now treating with Sudocreme.

When i was changing his nappy today he kept pooing all the time he was on the changing table - it was very watery and 'projectile' - this went on for a few minutes, with me mopping up and waiting for it to end so I could dry him and put the cream on, then his bowels opened and the changing table was flooded with the most watery poo i have ever seen.  DH thinks this happens all the time and we don't see it cos his nappy soaks it up, but I am concerned something is wrong. 

I will speak to my midwife tomorrow but would appreciate your opinion, both on his diarrhoea and any tips for settling him in the evening.

Thank you
Welshbird

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Hi

6 ozs is quite a lot for a little one but every baby is different. If you think that a lot of fluid is going in, it has to come out too!

Most babies have an unsettled time during the day and it can be due to many reasons. If you know he has had enough milk, then I would work on winding him and wondering if he had tummy ache rather than still being hungry.

He isn't able to know if the uncomfy feeling is due to being hungry, full or windy. A mixture of the 2 milks can cause extra wind and probably the excess poo!! Try lightly swaddling him, this may give him some extra comfort and help him to settle in a better way.

Some babies are 'sucky' babies and even if they're not hungry, they still need to suck. Have you considered a dummy?

See if he settles easier with someone other than you, not to give you a complex but you smell of his food and anyone else won't.

Let me know how you get on, there are lots of other methods we can work through

Take care x

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oink,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I will try these things tonight.

Welshbird x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts