Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. This forum has been a blessing to me so I thought I would try for your advice. I am 45 and had a DE embryo transfer  at Reprofit in the Czech Republic (my parnter's 37-year-old sperm) Nov. 20.  Dec. 6 I had HCG of 1085, indicating possible twins. Very exciting! The same day I got that news, that night I started bleeding red with cramps and knew it was over -- instinct. Four days later my HCG was 200. Doc said I had to get an abortion, as is very common with miscarriage, because it wasn't all out. The operating doctor noted as a kind of afterthought that I had a uterine septum, and might want to get a 3D ultrasound to check it out. Had no idea what that meant until I got home and googled. Turns out there is a strong relation between the septum and miscarriage, although of course it probably depends on the degree of the septum. I was wondering why Reprofit didn't see this in my initial vaginal ultrasound with them? Is it hard to see in a regular ultrasound? Also, is there a topic forum this could be put on so a doctor could tell me how likely it is a septum could cause miscarriage that early? I thought it was usually a few weeks later, if it was the cause.  I also would like to know how soon I can get that septum test after my abortion. Anyway, I think I felt more ok when this was a mystery. The idea that this could have been prevented sort of devastates me. I dont know if I have another 4,000 euro for reprofit, and I feel angry. I welcome your responses and also, I don't really understand this site's topics and posting systems so if there is a place where you can help me get responses from people who have gone through this as well as professionals I would be extremely grateful.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
so sorry to hear what you have been through  ^hugme^
i also have a uterine septum which was diagnosed when i was scanned by a gynaecologist who was checking to see if i had PCOS.  he was very blunt with me and said he couldn't say whether it would cause me to miscarry or not until if and when got pregnant and miscarried.  not very helpful.  the reason is that the septum part does not have the blood flow that the rest of your uterus has, so if an embryo implants there it receives insufficient blood flow for the baby to carry on developing.  some hospitals will operate to remove the septum, and there are several ladies on this site who have had that operation done.  my hospital doesn't operate on septums, believing that the resultant scar tissue and risk of infection could impede pregnancy just as much as leaving the septum alone.
when i was later treated at a fertility clinic no one there ever identified the septum on any scans i had, despite me asking about it.  i suppose they are fertility experts and not specifically gynaecologists.  at the fertility clinic they were looking for different things e.g. no of follicles etc and not looking for anatomical problems.
i certainly think it is a good idea to have a detailed scan before you go through any more treatment.  although i was extremely lucky and carried a pregnancy to term despite the septum, there were complications in the birth.  i'll be really interested to hear how you get on if you have a scan, as i want to have the septum removed before trying for another baby.
i really hope you get some answers and send you good luck for your future treatment.
x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joeyrella, you are terrific. Am so glad you had a baby! I had never heard about the negatives of removing the septum. I thought from what I had seen that so many women who miscarried were then able to have babies because of fixing the septum. But I guess I will be finding out! There is a terrific clinic in Prague where I live that specializes in this kind of testing, so that will be the first step. You are right...the IVF clinic specializes in embryo transfers but you would think if you were treating someone at age 45 this is something you would look at? Or ask about? I feel kind of irritated over that but I guess that doesn't help. I feel so much pressure to hurry up and figure things out before time runs out! Well thanks for your support and I can't wait to learn more. The funniest part is that I had no idea what the doc was talking about when he told me after the post-miscarriage clean up so didn't ask a single question!:).  Will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi aspiringmum

So sorry to hear your news.  Thoughts are with you.  I too had a uterine septum which went undiagnosed through scans and tube tests, it was only after a fourth failed cycle that my consultant said that he would do a hysteroscopy under ga, and it showed up then.  I had it removed a couple of months later.  I had read the negatives about removal but for me it was seemingly the cause of why the cycles weren't working.  I did have a surgeon who did the operation who was expert in uterine septum removal.

Hope you get answers you are looking for and best wishes for the future.

Sprinkles x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.