Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS2 is really long (on the 95th percentile) but only 25th for weight! Well his legs are scrunched up in the rear facing carseat but he's far to young for front facing one too! He looks so uncomfortable  :(  DS1 was 10 months i think when he went in the forward facing one but thats ages away! What should we do?? We really don't want to be forking out for another one :-\

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hi

so long as his head isn't over the top of the seat then your ds will be ok in the seat, even if his legs are scrunched up. Leo outgrew his infant carrier at 7 mths & I spent ages going round halfords, M'care etc looking for larger rearfacing car seats. M'care had 3 combination seats for 0-4 yrs, initially rearward facing & then forward facing eg Britax First Class, but none of them fitted into our car so we travelled to milton keynes & got a rearward for longer seat as children in some countries travel rearward till they're 4. Seats like the Britax first class will have more room than an infant carrier so may help him be more comfortable & then you can use it forward facing when he reaches that stage if you're going to be buying another seat when he gets to the forward stage anyway. Ask M'care & let them see him in his seat & see what they advise.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DP just had an idea. DS2 carseat has an isofix base and he suggested that we don't click it all the way back.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
*Mel* said:
DP just had an idea. DS2 carseat has an isofix base and he suggested that we don't click it all the way back.
I'd be a bit wary of doing that as you are then using a car seat that isn't fitted correctly.

As the others have said, the legs being scrunched up is irrelevant, it's the head you have to worry about and so long as it's not coming over the top of the seat I'd leave him where he is.

My ds1 was always on at least the 75th centile for height yet he didn't outgrow his infant carrier until he was 14 months.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. We couldn't find anything in the manuel that said it must be clicked all the way back ???  also his head is 2inches from the top :eek: ! And although its irrelevant with regards to legs being scrunched up i would hate to be travelling like that.(cheap airlines spring to mind!!!)
Goodness you did well having LO in seat until 14 months my DS1 was far to nosey and much happier facing forwards. Also i HATE travelling backwards!
Does anyone know why its safer???
I might look into the Britax first class, any thought??

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi,

Our baby seat is a Graco and, from what I've read, they seem to be a bit deeper hence the 14 months!

As for them being safer rear facing, it's because of the impact in a crash and potential injuries. If you go onto You Tube and seach along the lines of "crash test dummies" and "baby car seats" there are videos with the difference of impact with rear and forward facing. Pretty scary and emotional stuff though.

Chux xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts