Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Lucy has had a sticky eye yesterday and today- yesterday she had lots of green goo but today its just a little red and watery. Not sure I need to race off to the gp's yet with her but I've not had experience of this before- can anyone help please?
Am just wiping it regularly with clean cloth and boiled water.

thanks
love Rachel x

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
William is just getting over a sticky eye!

First of all I tried cooled, boiled water with some salt in but it didn't quite get rid of it just made it a little better. I had an appointment at the GP any way so I mentioned it and she said to use cooled, boiled, salt water! When I said I had been she prescribed some Chloramphencol eye drops and they are working fine.

My health visitor is able to write prescriptions so it might be worth a call to yours if you don't want to phone the GP.

Hope it gets better!

B x :-*

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Lewis has had this problem since birth, although has eased off lately. I was advised by my gp to just bath morning and night in cooled boiled water, and if the eyes was to go bloodshot then to take him straight back to the gp as hewould have an infection. Luckily its never gone that far, just weeps green goo

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Nikki, Sadie also has had a sticky eye since birth -  it's a blocked duct and I've been told to leave it alone as much as possible, as wiping it all the time only upsets it, so only to do it when her eye is really stuck shut, with salt water.  It'll resolve itself in a few months.  Like you I've been told to go back if it gets red or spreads to the other eye, in which case it's infected.

Matthew had a conjunctivitis-type sticky eye, either mild salt water or bicarbonate of soda in water works well.  The GP told me he could have the drops but he said the eye will probably get better on its own, and it did. 

Best to use a cloth or tissue, rather than cotton wool, which can leave fibres behind.

Claire x

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Claire I read about the blocked tear ducts - where you told to try massaging the area in the corner of the eye? (sounds tricky to me but apparently that works too)

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thankyou!  :)

Just to say after it being really sticky and green yesterday- there is absolutely nothing roday! It is fine!  ^idiot^

Soooo- maybe allergies as we were all snotty on sunday after a day at a friends with a cat. Or a scratch maybe...but am stumped!

Also yep I would always wipe with a cloth rather than cotton wool- am a nurse and the days of using cotton wool to wipe anything are long gone.
My neice whos 13 months has just been referred to hospital as she has had both ducts blocked pretty much since birth- her eyes have always been green and sticky- was told if the white is still white just to carry on bathing but if the eye is bloodshot to go to gps.

Thankyou all  :)
love Rachel x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts