Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies.....

Just though I would ask I am 6 weeks pregnant now and we are going on holiday in 3 weeks to Florida  ;D ;D Was just wondering what anyones thoughts on flying are? I know its along flight about 11 hours but its a family holiday which was booked way before all my ivf. Do you think it will be safe to fly so far. My scan showed a healthy bubba with a heart beat and im due another scan in 2 weeks. 1 week before we go.......
Any feedback would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks Quaver xx

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Hi Quaver

I flew to Las Vegas when I was 25 weeks and it was absolutely fine. Get yourself some flight socks and make sure you drink plenty of water. You'll be fine hun  ^hugme^

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I personally wouldn't fly during pregnancy esp long haul at such a crucial time (But i lost my baby at 7weeks and 6 days so probably over cautious)  - if you search the threads you will find it has been discussed many times and the views are mixed.
If you think why do cabin crew get grounded the moment they annouce they are pregnant- my acupuncturist described to me a bottle of water expanding and contracting during a flight and how feet etc swell up that can happen inside you- not sure how true it is. Saying that many women have treatment around the world and have to fly home in the first trimester
L x

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
This is such a difficult question isn't it?

So many women do fly in the early days of pregnancy - if you think about it, there's probably loads of women who don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks....and all of my colleagues just carried on as normal (we have to fly every 2 or 3 weeks for work) during their pregnancies....
And as JJ says, all the women who go overseas for tx have to fly back in the very early stages. A good friend of mine who lives in Singapore flew to Sydney 2 days after her ET, and back again a couple of weeks later. And then repeatedly flew between Singapore and Tokyo in her first trimester - she's now 6 months and has had no problems.  I kind of think that if something is going to go wrong, it will go wrong - some pregnancies sadly just aren't viable....

Having said all that, it comes down to how you think you will feel about it - would you be so stressed and worried about flying that you can't enjoy your holiday? I guess you must be a little concerned or you wouldn't have asked the question....in which case, maybe it's better to stay at home and plan a holiday for later on when you feel more happy about flying (ie in your second trimester). But if you feel quite happy about it, then go and have a fabulous holiday, and I'm sure it will all be fine

There is so much conflicting advice on this one (even from the professionals) that I think you ultimately have to go with what you feel comfortable with

Personally, if this IVF works (day 1 of 2WW and fingers firmly crossed)  I am going to try to avoid flying in the first trimester because I know that I would feel very stressed about it but, like I say, you really have to do what you feel comfortable with.....

Good luck!
Laura
x

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Quaver, :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I'm flying to Italy in 3 weeks time and have been told i will be fine - I will only be 10 weeks but have been told that flying will in no way affect baby - if you are going to miscarry it would happen in any event - obviously it would be much worse if you were in another country. I don't have my scan until I get back ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^. My midwife said to just keep moving around and wear a pair of those lovely flight socks - the main risk is from thrombosis.

Hope this helps.

Popsy x
[/color]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Quaver,

I moved to the US when I was about 8 weeks pregnant, I was fine, I had some slight bleeding just before I flew, but as we were moving out here, I had to go anyway. I felt ok during the flight, a bit sad, as I thought I had miscarried, but the flight itself was fine. I drank loads of water and made sure that I got up lots for my circulation.
Enjoy your hols!
Weezy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Quaver

I am flying to Crete in 3 weeks and I will be 9 1/2 weeks Doc said it wil lmake no difference to pregnancy and I am going with that  - I have had 8 m/c so I would not go unless I felt happy

Will prob feel sick the whole time but at least I will have a great tan !

Have a great holiday
TC
Dawn

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Hunnie

I flew to thailand when i was 7 weeks and had no problems and flew back at 13 weeks my midwife said to me if you are going to have a miscarriage it doesnt matter if you are flying or on the ground there is nothing you can do to stop it. She said i was fine to go and i had slight bleeding the week before and she still said it was fine. Go and enjoy your hols. Make sure you wear flight socks hunnie

love

kelly

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Ladies.....

Thankyou all very much for the replys  :) I think sometimes we just worry and over analyse everything  ^idiot^ The holiday was booked by my mum we are all going on a big family holiday so I would feel awful if i pulled out. The kids are really looking forward to it.

I think really im also a great believer in if somethings going to happen it will anyway

I will just have to ask for an aisle seat and get up and walk around lots. I am also taking baby asprin as part of my tx so that should hopefully reduce the risk of blood clots  :)

Thanks again
LoveQuaver xx

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Quaver

when i flew to thailand i told them i was pregnant and they gave me a seat with extra leg room and it was right next to the toilet so i didnt have to disturb people every 2 mins.

Have a really good holiday and relax

love
kelly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts