Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hoping someone can help.was just on my first ivf and on egg collection we got 7 eggs which were grade 1 and 2.but none of them fertilized.my clinic said that they don't know why because the eggs were good and so was my dh's sperm.so their was nothing wrong.i could understand if their was something wrong but to get no answers is driving me mad.my clinic have had only one case like this before and they said that they are as shocked as i am.i did ask if we could use them for icsi but they told me that the law does not allow them to do icsi on an ivf treatment.but we could start a new cycle with icsi later on,it makes no sense.but not with the eggs and sperm we have now
please can someone help,maybe i can find some answers from someone else but do know where to start,and i can't leave it like this with so many questions in my head and my clinic cannot answer them.i am really upset that they are just getting rid of the eggs and sperm and their is nothing wrong with them.

any help you could give me would be great
thanks
luv petal b

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Petal

the same thing happened to us in 2003.  We had 12 good eggs and seemingly good sperm yet nothing fertilised.  We were devastated.  We never really knew why and the Lister said that from time to time it happens.  I had been pregnant once before but miscarried so I knew that it was possible to achieve fertilisation.  They said we could do another ivf cycle and see if the same thing happened but they would prefer us to do icsi.  Like you, I had loads of questions.

well, I'm about to put my 7 month daughter back to bed for a nap so as you can see it worked!  I can thoroughly recommend isci as you bypass the fertilisation issue.

please email me and I can answer any questions you have.  I am happy to talk to you if that suits you better. 

good luck

Helena
X

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks helena,wonderful news that it worked for you

i just don't understand why thats all,they said they don't even know if it is a fertilisation issue,but i think it must be,but with all that is known about fertility i cannot understand how they cannot give me anything and that they don't know themselves

will pm you later if thats alright

luv ptal b

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello Petal
We had a similar disaster a few weeks ago - We had 16 eggs, 8 were mature (I wonder if the ec was too early) and none fertilized. They had no answers for us either - apparently the eggs looked fine as did the sperm. We were devasted as this was to be our final ivf and we had moved to an excellent clinic for immune reasons. Don't know what to do now and feel very cautious about icsi, although reading the above gives me hope!
My clinic also said this is rare and happens about twice a year - bearing in  mind how many clients they see per year - I would say that it is indeed v v rare and vv unlucky! We have had three pregs in the past after ivf and all miscarried, so although we went into it with eys wide open we did not expect a failure at this stage.

I think we will have one more try but I do feel very nervous about it and am trying to prepare myself as best
I can - ie lots of vits, water, little alcohol, low stress etc, although none of this is easy. Let me know if you find out any info - maybe we can swop ideas/info??
Chin up - it can happen!
O :)

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Petal :)

The same thing happened to my friend on her third cycle. She got 9 good quality of eggs, and none of them fertilized with IVF, despite the quality of the sperm being good :-\ They were also told the same as you that the HFEA rules permitted them from having ICSI performed the next day :(
There was really no explanation as to what happened, other than the sperm and eggs just didn't like each other and they cited incompatibility as a probable cause ^eyes^
Anyway the good news is that on her last cycle, she got 11 good quality of eggs, and to make sure it didn't happen again they were advised to have ICSI, and she ended up with 8 embryo's and is now 3 months pregnant!

LOL Chel xxx  ^daisy^

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love good news..........especially with ec tomorrow...............Thanks Chelsea Rose

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi petalb

I had 4 eggs collected yesterday and I found out today that none of them fertilised. Like you, my DH and I are absolutely devastated and the expense too! £4k to go through it all and fail at the last hurdle. We can't take it in and yes I hear what your saying about throwing them away. This was our 4th and closure attempt at IVF, but having had poor quality eggs and low production  (have never had more than 4 collected previously and twice only 2 fertilised and once only 1 made it), we expected them to offer ICSI, but by the time the Doc got to us 4 hrs after the EC, a tad too late to discuss anything, they had gone ahead with IVF.

It's also heart wrenching that there's a law, that ICSI can't take place if they haven't fertilised by IVF. If there's a small percent chance they can survive then it should be allowed. Typically this has all happened on a Sunday so none of my questions I need to ask can be answered until tomorrow.

I will try my hardest to get answers but I'm afraid I think all I'm going to get is: 'there's no explaination'. The embryologist said this to my DH while I'm sobbing my heart out in the background. It's not acceptable to hear that. It's over and thats hard to swallow.

Vanilla x

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so sorry vanilla,have only just looked at this thread again.it is so bad when it happens is'nt it.how are you feeling now.did you get any answers

bunless-we are now going to go for icsi(ivf never again) but only if we can do egg sharing,so much money to pay out again.we are now unexplained fertility,after a long road of problems(which have now been shorted)so now hearing that it is unexplained makes it just as bad as before if you know what i mean

jessy-nice to here that it does work

luv petal b

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.