Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a bit of a problem which is really freaking me out.  I am petrified of giving birth.  I am so very scared that something is going to go wrong.  I am not worried about the pain like most ladies are, which is odd in itself, that part doesn't seem to bother me, what I am worried about is having to have an emergency caesarean and being put under general anaesthetic or dying during childbirth.  Then I get paranoid that something will happen to the baby either during childbirth or in the next 10 weeks! 

I realise I am being completely rediculous, but I can't seem to get it out of my head.  I was wondering whether this is abnormal, because I seem to be beside myself.

I don't want to have an epidural because I want an active birth, but this fear of general anaesthetic is making me think I should just have it in case something goes wrong and then at least the caesarean will be by epidural!!  I am so very worried I don't know what to think.  Is there any other option other than epidural or general anaesthetic.  I have had no complications so far, and have felt really very lucky, until I start to think about the birth and that things could go so very wrong!

I hope someone replies, I could do with some friendly advice.

Thanks

Debs xxx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

This is actually my very first post (although I have surfed this fantastic site for about a year!) but what you said has really struck a cord.  I am currently 33 weeks pregnant after my second iui back in July. I feel exactly the same as you apart from the fact that I also feel a bit scared of not being able to handle the pain!

I think the worry comes from having had to wait so long to actually conceive.  I don't know about you but because my husband and I have waited so long we still find it really difficult to believe that we are actually going to have a baby and, therefore, keep expecting something to go wrong.

I am sure everything will be fine but please don't think you are alone in how you feel!

Take care

Tash

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tash

I know exactly what you mean.  When I try to think about the baby and actually physically holding it in my arms, the image just won't come.  It's hard, v. hard to believe this is actually going to happen and I am constantly worried that something is going to happen to take it away!

At least I'm not alone in feeling like this.

Thank you

D x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Do you really have to have a general if you have an emergency caesar?  I thought regardless of whether you'd had an eipdural or not, you would still normally have a spinal bloc......?  Have you talked to your midwife / OBGYN?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Debs

It is completely natrual to be worried about childbrth but these days it is very safe.  I was advised by my hospital to try and avoid an epidural as it was 'the slippery slope to intervention'.

I am also under the impression that in the vast majority of cases a section is done with an epidural or spinal block although there are situations where they do use GA.  I personally hated GA after an op in 91 however I have had a couple in recent years and they are much much better now, you drift off gently to sleep and wake up gently afterwards.

Please please speak to your mw, they should be able to put your mind at rest.  I would advise you write out a birth plan so you feel empowered for your birth.  I think if you can manage it an active birth is a great way to go - being upright and not lying down means gravity helps open the cervix so labour is shorter and in second stage it allows the tailbone to move out of the way increasing the hole for baby to come out of by about 30%

Good luck

Clare

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Debs and Tash

I just wanted to let you know that i felt exactly the same when i was pg. I used to hold babygros in my arms and try and imagine a baby in them, and just couldn't do it. I used to sit and sob at stupid things, like when we decorated the nursery, or when the cot arrived, cos i just couldn't believe that we would actually need them. I suppose it's a knock on effect from being childless for so many years.

The scary thing about childbirth was it being a step into the unknown. I didn't know when or how it would happen and that's what freaked me out. Even when the contractions started (and it's nothing like you see on tv!) i was in denial and thought they would go away.

I don't suppose it matters how the baby comes out, as long as you are both safe.

I think it's perfectly normal to feel how you do and i'm sure you'll both be fine.

Good luck (even though i used to panic when people said that to me)

Gill x

·
Registered
307 Posts
Forgot to add . . .

Childbirth? - such an amazing experience, i'd do it again tomorrow!  :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.