Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can please get back to me.
I have breastfed my dear 7 week old daughter exclusively.  I started to express at 5 weeks & she accepted this in a Tommee Tippee Back to Nature bottle from her father on 2 occasions at 5 weeks & 6 weeks.  However, last week she refused the bottle & my 6 fl oz of expressed milk went to waste & we had a hungry & upset little girl.  The same thing has just happened - a week later my painstakingly collected 6 fl oz has been refused. well she took 1 floz which she gulped, swallowed lots of air, burped & was sick, then winded & has refused & got angry with the bottle teat from her father.  As we would like to persevere with bottle feeding breast milk I wondered if you had any advise for us as it seems odd that she accepted the bottle at 5 weeks but now refuses this.  Also more importantly I thought we had cracked this & was looking forward to the rare moments of being able to have a sleep of more than 3 hour stretch.

I hope you can get back to me

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
^hugme^ hi,i would say to persevere, its a very different feeling for her to adapt from a nipple to teat and she is obviously trying to get back on the boobie!
its hard work i know..try putting an 1 oz at a time in the bottle so you arent wasting so much per feed,and dont push the teat in her mouth-let her take it in herself 'as such'  :-\
also try and get her really hungry so she REALLY wants the bottle.
it does take time but carry on..it sound like you know what your doing  :) congrats on bubba and well done for breastfeeding xxxxx

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to update you-
I am very pleased to report that after much perseverance on part of daddy & my dear daughter she has now finally accepted the bottle again  ;D.  We tried every other day for the last week at times when she was a little hungry but not ravenous.  Also we removed teat at any sign of distress so that it did not become associated with something unpleasant.  I am soo relieved & hope this continues ^pray^

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:( Latest update - after a few weeks of success we are now back onto a refusal of bottle !
She accepts teat in her mouth but just plays with it or pushes it out
I am a little disheartened as was looking forward to starting back at the gym for a few hours on an evening a week & perhaps having a night out !

Has anyone else experienced the problem of baby refusing bottle of expressed milk & what strategies worked for them?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi

We had something very similar.   Have you changed bottles to see if she simply is suited to another type of teat?  What number teat are you using?  We quickly moved from a no.1 to a no.2 and that did improve things slightly. You could dump the bottle altogether and try something like the Doidy cup - although could be messy if you're wanting this for a night feed.  Does she take the bottle any better from you?  If so, you know it's not the bottle, but her just wanting mummy to feed from all the time and you'll just simply have to persevere with her on that one.  Are you in the room when DH feeds her the bottle?  Try being out of sight and smell range; there's the belief that if you're in the room they can smell you and if DH is giving the bottle they also realise that isn't how it's meant to be.  

It took a lot of time for us and I don't think we did anything special other than the bits above and keep trying, but we did get there, although she still rarely takes more than 5-6oz in a feed.  Unfortunately some babies are very persistant!!

Good luck

Claire
x

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Claire
Thanks for your reply & useful suggestions.  We have used different bottles:Tommee Tippee back to nature with 1 & 2 teats & also the Tommee Tippee Nuby bottles - might now try the Dr Brown bottle!
She has never taken the bottle from me - not tried with her that much though.  On the mummy being present front we have tried with me being out of the house for over 2 hours etc.. but had no success. 

She has had the bottle so I am holding out some hope (just!)
I have been very surprised that I have not had any helpful advice from the health professionals I have asked on my area - I think that if you are breast feeding successfully they do not think you have a problem .  When I have asked for support with this issue that have also not really understood WHY i would want her to take a bottle!  As far as I am concerned for her to take the bottle would give me the flexibility for e.g leaving her with daddy for an hour or so while i go to gym (good for my mental health & physical health + good for her) & also for me & her daddy to have a meal out for his up coming birthday.  I also have not had a drink for over a year & would like a night out with my girl friends some time soon!

My daughter is also called Mathilde - maybe its something to do with the name (means battle maiden you know!) - she is gorgeous but feisty!

Thanks
Anon
x

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Anon,

I was coming on to type exactly the same post as you! 

How is the bottle feeding going for you now?  I'm in the same boat, my 8 week old little man has been having a bottle of expressed milk most nights since he was 2 weeks old and gradually over the past week he's got more and more fussy to a point where he will only drink about 1oz from the bottle with daddy and this is accompanied with lots of tears and rigidness...has it got better for you? 

Like you, we have been doing this with the bottle of ebm to give me some freedom and up until now I've not actually gone out anyway, but typically we're due to go to a wedding reception tomorrow night and the idea was to take a bottle of ebm with us so I could wear something nice like a dress (i.e. not have to wear something that I can get my babs out of!!) and not have to b/feed and have a good time and daddy would feed whilst we were there, but looks like we wont be doing that now!

I'd love to hear how it's going for you and what you did / didn't do to improve things...thanks!

Laura xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts