Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some reassurance, our 8 week daughter isn't smiling properly yet. We do get 'bright' expressions from her and she does smile in her sleep ( ::) ) but I'm so worried something is wrong. She's generally a happy baby despite being quite poorly with severe reflux resulting in poor weight gain and a short stay in hospital. I think I'm just being impatient as I can't wait for it to happen but reading the books and spending probably too much time on Google I just think she should be smiling properly by now.

Thanks in advance for any replies

xxx

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just checked the diary I've been keeping of my LOs' "achievements"  ::)  - I didn't start till 10 wks and it says they were smiling then but I don't think it was much before that. Mine had a slightly shaky start so I'm sure your daughter will be fine, give her a couple more weeks of feeling better and it'll happen. She's still diddy and I'm convinced being a bit poorly at first meant my DS in particular didn't "get going" for a few weeks after he was born. Patience is required.... and is good practise for whenever she rolls, sits, stands, walks, talks, etc etc!  :)  (And get off Google - your daughter hasn't looked this stuff up, so she doesn't know what is meant to have happened when  ;) )

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
The average for a smile is 6 weeks but some are earlier some later so don't worry!

I'm convinced the gestation they are born at makes a difference too as ds1 and dd both smiled early but were born at 42+ weeks, whereas ds2 and dd2 who were both born at 39w didn't smile until 7+ weeks.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
MY DD who also has reflux only started smiling properly once her reflux was under control, before that it was an odd glimmer of a smile so hang in there and you'll soon be dazzled with smiles  :)

bingbong x

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I second bingbong. M had silent reflux and was generally 'unhappy' till about 8 or 9 weeks. We never got a proper smile out of her before that and I was totally convinced she was autistic!!!! We also had a traumatic birth where they couldn't find her heartbeat for about 10 minutes and I was sure she'd have long term problems so I watcher her like a hawk with regards to her milestones. I guess she was just unhappy from being in pain. Even now at 3 (3 today!!!) she's not a 'smiler' like her brother. J on the other hand was smiling proper smiles at 4 weeks. He was 3 weeks early so don't think the gestation thing is really related...unless maybe he was meant to be born smiling as he never ever stops grinning.
The smiles will arrive and will make it all feel worthwhile!!! I really struggled after the bad birth and with all the crying/trouble breastfeeding etc to have a baby who wouldn't even give me a smile in return but the first time we got a proper smile it was like the sun shining after a long dark storm. You'll soon know what I mean!
XXX

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
My daughter was 8+ weeks, she had a turbulent start and IMO didn't have much to smile about!  The first time she smiled was when they discharged her for the third time at 8 weeks!  Even then they were very few and far between!

A doctor told me there was something wrong with her and completely panicked me!  She is just fine developmentally.

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies ladies. Poppy started smiling last weekend and we're getting plently of smiles now! It's so nice to get somthing back from her rather than sick and poo! No matter how the day or night has gone when I get a smile it makes everything better again  :)

xxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts