Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 9 weeks pregnant and DP and I are very very happy to be so.  If i allow myself to think "ahead" i cant wait to be holding bubba.  Im just really hoping that the symptoms i have dissapear after the 12 week milestone...

Ive been feeling very dizzy (apparently low blood pressure), sick when not eating, sick when eating certain foods including vegetables (in fact if its not white, full of carbs and sugar i really dont want to know).  Headaches galore, constant peeing, sore boobies, sore ovaries, expanded waistline.  Ive also been spotting pretty much from day one - a rusty colour - whilst uncomfortable it messes with your head - each day thinking that this could be the start of something rotten.  Anyhow, aswell as feeling exhausted the list of symptoms goes on.  Im sure most of you ladies are/have experienced these at points.

However, things took a more sinister turn this week.  5.45 on Tuesday eve and the spotting turned heavier and bright red.  I was meeting a friend after work and she advised me to go to the hospital.  I went to an emergency walk in gynae ward at St. Thomas's hospital and completely broke down on this lovely nurse.  She did an examination and said that whilst she could see blood she didnt think it was clotting and my cervix was closed - all good signs.  To be on the safe side however she booked me in for a scan the next day.  This was day 1 of being off work.  The scan was good and our little bean is safe n sound.  Cant tell you the relief!  I stayed home after the scan and DP stayed home too and watched me sleep (i wasnt great company)! The following day I had really bad headaches, dizziness, sickness, back to normal colour spotting and just felt like i couldnt function - i stayed off work and slept all day.  Last night came the sore throat - feels like its closed up, although i do feel like i have a bit more energy (I should do after 48 hours of solid sleep)..  Hence Day 3 of being off work.

I have this sentence going round in my head "you're pregnant not ill".  do you think its bad to be off work or should i listen to what my body needs...

Anyone else taken time off in early pregnancy? 

Thank you lovely ladies for reading...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello nickoker,
Firstly congratulations on being pregnant! That in itself is a huge mile stone for so many of us on here! It sounds scary and horrible what you are going through and I really feel for you. The discharge and then the blood would have seriously worried me too and I would have done exactly what you did. I don't think you are doing anything wrong by taking time off work. You are clearly not feeling very well and therefore should take time for yourself and your baby to stay healthy. I discovered this morning that I too am pregnant! It's been such a hard journey to get here, with failed IVF cycles and a miscarriage last Dec. For these reasons I have decided to take the whole 12 weeks off work until my first proper scan. I have a very stressful job where I work with volitile teenagers and it was not a situation I wanted to put myself in during this very precious time. My manager has been totally amazing and has supported me throughout all my cycles; giving me time off when I needed it for appointments and proceedures. I think you should in NO WAY feel guilty about taking some time for yourself. Would your boss be understanding? Could you get signed off by your Doc?
Hope all goes well for you for the rest of your pregnancy. xx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A massive congratulations to you!  Such great and fantastic news - its made me smile no end.  It sounds like you've been through so much to get here - lots of woop woops winging their way to you!!

Thanks for your reply, I know in my heart that  shouldnt worry about work and that all i should concentrate on is staying as healthy as possible for my little one.  think i just needed to hear it from someone else.  We havent told many people, deciding to wait for the nuchal scan at 13 weeks - this site and the members and guests have been invaluable.  A real sounding board.

I didnt even think about organising time off - youve opened my eyes to options.  To date, ive just been thinking how to throw work people off the scent. My boss knows and has been lovely - she helped me through the IVF and was amazingly supportive.  Thinking about it I may ask her if i can work from home at least once a week until i feel in a better place.  I have a desk job - stressful and long hours but not volatile, like yours.  Am very glad that you've been able to take the full 12 weeks out. Your role sounds like it can be very rewarding but must be tough at times.  I work with a local charity which "promotes the good in young people".  Ive been involved for a year or so - ts my first foray into working with teenagers and young adults.  Really enjoying it.

I do feel very privaledged to be in the position that I am.  I too had IVF and am completely overjoyed that it has worked.

I wish you well in your pregnancy - would love to hear your journey

xx

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congratulations to you both & wishing you healthy pregnancies

x

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Nickoker,
I'm glad you're thinking about taking some time to yourself, I'm sure your boss would understand if she's been supportive through your IVF. We haven't told many people either - just my boss really. We have decided not to tell our families or friends until the 12 week scan. We live in a pretty close-nit village and I have been getting some odd looks when I've had days off but clearly haven't been unwell, what they'll think when they see me not going into work for the next 12 weeks I can't imagine! Probably just assume I've lost my job or something! It's a bit embarrassing because I'm quite a proud person and I don't like the idea of people thinking I'm pulling a sicky. I am getting a bit worried about what I'm actually going to do with myself though! I'm quite a fidgit-bum and can't stay still for long. We have a gorgeous dog so I'll make sure i keep active by walking her. Last night I was looking on ebay at 2nd hand sewing machines as i think I'll try and learn to stitch and sew. Maybe try knitting too!! I'll go into town today and buy a craft book (never though i'd say that!) Oh dear my baby's going to be the gorky one wearing all the home-made slightly squewif clothes!! ha ha!
Your job sounds interesting, because of the kids I work with I am in contact with organisations/charities like yours quite often trying to find alternative pathways for some pretty troubled youngsters. I love it and yes it is rewarding but it is also very emotionally draining and often i feel as if i'm just banging my head against a wall. Sometimes no matter how hard you try if the kids have had bad pasts there's not a lot I can do. It makes me sad when I meet some of the families, especially wanting a child so badly myself. Throughout my IVF I have found it harder and harder to cope with the emotions of work so I am relieved to have a break from it to be honest.
How long have you been trying to fall pregnant? Is this your first child? I really hope everything goes well for you and would love to stick with you for the journey.
Anna xxxxx

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Nick - No don't feel guilty for being off work, you are pg and with that comes side effects!  ::)  It should pass once you get to 12 weeks.
You are bound to feel anxious too so take it easy and take all the time off, The uneasynes does pass, i was the same but once you get past 12 weeks each week you become more confident.
My boss was understanding cos she knew about the ivf so told me to take whatever i needed off.  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I was horrendously ill with Amy. I had to fly to an offsite meeting in Southern France when I was about 10 weeks and spent 3 days in a hotel room puking my guts up.....

Listen to your body and rest up. The world will keep spinning without you ^reiki^

Good luck hun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts