Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just started weaning T mostly on homemade purees mixed with formula or formula and baby rice in the last couple of weeks, but have read so much conflicting advice, I wondered what other people do...

Do I need to sterilise all the utensils? So far I've been doing the bowl and spoon he's using to eat, but not the cooking utensils and not the ice cube trays I'm putting it in to go in the freezer (one book I read says you should, others say not to bother)  ^idiot^

Also, I'm defrosting his purees overnight in the fridge for the next lunchtime, but do I then always have to reheat them in the microwave and let they cool down again? Can you just warm them up by standing the pot in a bowl of hot water if it's not something that needs to be warm? I always seem to end up with a cross baby waiting for his food to cool down.

What do you do when you're out and about? Can you give the food cold, or do I need to find somewhere that will warm it up?

I feel like theses are silly questions, but I'm feeling a bit clueless about all this - can't seem to find a way to make it work easily  ^idiot^

Thanks,
Karen xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I never sterilised any of the weaning things, just made sure they were washed out properly.

When it's just veggies it won't hurt to just stand it in some water or even par heat in the microwave, it's when you have meat or rice etc later on that you need to be more careful.

When out and about, if you go in food hall type places they often have a section for moms to use to warm food or milk (though if your LO will take it cold there's no reason not to), otherwise I used to take a jar and just give it at room temp.

Not silly questions at all - weaning is a minefield!!

Chux xx

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Chux, like many things with my little one, it all seems obvious when someone else explains it!  ;D

Karen xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
One other thing I've just thought of - if you go somewhere where they don't have facilities for you to heat food up yourself and you have to ask staff, bear in mind a lot won't heat homemade food, just unopened jars.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hello Karen

I too had my little one getting crossed while waiting and then the feeding experience is not enjoyable for him nor for me. So I started to give him a good breakfast 1 hour after his meal and depending his feed I try to have his meal ready and cooled down for 11:15- 11:30 (later if he has a really good sleep) and this way it has been much better. I defrost overnight too and the first month I sterelised the spoons, bowls and the hand blender mixer, the pan bolis the veggies so no worries there and I reheat his food as I want to ensure that the mixture is definitively thawed.
For days when I travel I buy the Hipp Organic pots which James loves and he has it cold. This way if I get stuck somewhere he is used to that. If you wanted your own food you could use the system I have for his ilk bottle, I carry a boiled water flask and puthis bottle in a bowl to warm it up. You can also ask in pubs/restaurant for some boiled water in a bowl to warm your food container.

Well, good luck with it and do not worry too much, there are many ways to do things and most of all you need to be happy with what you do.

Steph

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
a good trick when you have to cool down something quickly is to serve it on a cold porcelain dinnerplate.  that way you can spread it out thinly with the back of the spoon.  it works a treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts