Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have a baby that is conceived through donor sperm what happens in the space where the babies fathers name and occupation go? I wouldn't want father unknown (even though he would be) but would it be breaking any laws by putting hubby's name there? Is that even allowed?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
On phone so quick reply but if you have treatment through a licences clinic then your DH is the legal father of any child conceived and his name goes on the birth certificate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe the same is true even if you inseminate at home.  Certainly it is for us lesbians, provided you're married/civil partnered, so I can't see why it'd be any different for straight couples.

Best of luck xx

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi wibble-wobble

It depends on your circumstances. 

If you are married at the time of conception, your husband's name goes on the birth certificate as the father.  If you are civil partners at the time of conception, your partner's name goes on the birth certificate (in the father's space but as 'parent'). 

If you are not married/in a civil partnership, then if you conceive at a clinic in the UK you can nominate your partner (whether male or female) to be your child's other parent and he/she then goes on the birth certificate.  However, this has to have been set up before conception.

If none of this applies (e.g. you are single), then the position depends on whether you have a clinic donor or a known donor through home insemination.  If you have a clinic donor, the legal position is that there is no legal father, and the father's details on the birth certificate are simply left blank.  If the latter, then the donor will be your child's legal father but you, as the mother, have the option as to whether you name him on the birth certificate or to leave this section blank (though if you do want to name him, he has to come with you to the birth registration).

Sorry it's so complicated, and hope that helps!

Natalie

I thought this would be a quick reply, but

1 - 4 of 4 Posts