Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after two bfn my dh and I are gutted  :'(
We are now moving onto self funding and are considering staying at the same clinic for another cycle of tx.
When I called for the results of my case review I was told that there wasn't anything that the consultant would change. They felt that despite the result it was a very successful cycle. 14 eggs collected, 8 fertilised, 2 embryos transferred (no frosties).
My question is... is there any tests that I can or should be having done prior to beginning next cycle. Our infertility issue is with dh and I just wondered if I should get anything checked.
This is what I have had done
AMH
Scans during tx cycles baseline ect (they didn't mention anything unusual at them or maybe they weren't looking for anything)
Blood test for PCO (negative result)
The usual hiv, hepb ect.

Maybe it was just unlucky that my angels didn't stick, but I just wanted to check out and see what people could advise.
Thanks. xx

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hayleigh said:
Hiya chocolate button,
I am in the same situation as you I have had 2 BFN (ICSI) 2nd one finished in march, i am also staying with my original clinic, everything with my tx went O.K only had 2 eggs 1fer but we had 1 frozen from 1st tx, thanxfully eggs are low but quality r good, like you its seems that my little embies just did'nt stick :'( i try not to blame myslef because its nature and i did everything i could do. We have had to self fund and will self fund again in sept when we go again no fundin or facilities in my area, to be honest I don't know whatother tests you could do but I'm sure somewhere there will some advice for that!!!! lets hope we Both get our BFP like we derserve ;D sending you ^hugme^ and xxx
Hayleigh

·
Registered
422 Posts
Chocolate button,

It's very hard to know what the answer to your question is without being your doc! But here are a few thoughts:
- WHen you've had good embryos but no implantation there are broadly 2 possible explanations, and no way unfortunately to choose between them. The first is that your embryos died - there was something wrong with them that wasn't apparent before they were put back, but they actually weren't competent to continue developing. The second is that there was some problem with implantation.
- Implantation is the one bit of the reproductive cycle that is least well understood because docs can't observe it like they can the other bits (fertilisation, and later development). The genes, proteins etc involved are all incompletely understood. There is plenty of research going on, but not a lot of answers right now. So there may be something going on that we just don't know enough to be diagnosed right now
- There is some, controversial, evidence, that the genes involved in early miscarriage are linked to implantation failure. This is why some clinics prescribe prednisone, baby aspirin etc as they combat some of the clotting disorders (clotting factors are involved in implantation as the cells which form the placenta have to invade the lining of your uterus to get established).

So, tests its worth asking about, but your clinic may not believe in them:
A full miscarriage panel - karyotyping, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, MTHFR, FactorV Leiden, AMA. Your clinic will know this panel. If you have to pay for it yourself it's expensive - around £700 I think. If some of these are positive it may make sense to take heparin, baby aspirin or steroids during treatment. Your clinic will have to help you decide this as the evidence is very mixed.

You don't say if you went to blast or not, but that's something else to ask about with good looking embryos and a decent number. Did they say why none of your embryos were good enough to freeze?

Finally, as you say it could just be bad luck. It's a numbers game. Some embryos will make it, some won't. The more chances you give yourself, the likelier you are to get pregnant, although of course it's never certain. I do hope the next cycle will be it for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts