Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently had a positive result for Factor V Leiden ( heterozygote ) with Dr Gorgy. He has advised me to take 75 mg Aspirin daily from now on. Does it matter if they are dissolvable ones or not ? I bought the Enteric coated aspirin cos I'd prefer to just take them with water as they are, does it make a difference ?

Thank you for any reply

Rockchick

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I was advised to have the dissolvable one but not sure that it make that much difference just it is absorbed quicker

Good Luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thank you ladies so much for answering my question.  I wish the ' Which route do I take next ' was so easy.

Good Luck to you all + Take Care

Rockchick.xx.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
i actually don't know if i have factor v (my sister has it and her two daughters, i've had 3 miscarriages) as i've had bloods taken twice but the lab is refusing to do the test.  My GP is trying to find out why and push for it at the moment.

However, whilst i don't know i asked doc at Reprofit about taking aspirin and he said to take 75mg anyway but the pharmacy only had 100mg tabs, do you think it's really not good to take more than 75mg? or not that big a deal?  i'll get some more if it's an issue.

Also, rockchick were you only prescribed aspirin?  I have been worrying that if i do have it i should be on clexane so will ask my doc about chasing up the test again tomo as i'm currently on 2ww and a bit concerned.  When you say 'from now on' rockchick does that mean forever? or just whilst ttc or pg?

GGx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Greatgazza

Firstly, I am so sorry for your losses + I hope you get a positive outcome this month ^reiki^ ^reiki^

I am sorry I cannot help you regarding the dosage of 75 as opposed to 100 mg, but the only other thing Dr Gorgy advised me to do was take clexane + steroid from Day 5 of stimulation. My last ivf in September, I was put on steroids + 100 mg aspirin + I had a negative. This was using my OE, with 3 grade 1, 8 cell embryo's.

As for how long to take aspirin, Dr Gorgy never said, but I will carry on taking them until I reach the end of this rollercoaster - one way or another :( . Maybe I'll discuss it further with my own Gp at a later date. I have also been having acupuncture for the last 8 weeks to try + improve circulation + blood flow to uterus.

The very best of luck to you ^pray^ ^pray^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Rockchick.xx

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Rockchick- Good luck- hope your on the last loop of the roller coaster!!!

I think (perhaps needs confirming by pharmacist) disersable asprin will get into the body quicker but enteric coating resuces some of the risk of having stomach problems so I would guess that taking them long term ish that enteric would be better? I personally can't stand the yukky tasting stuff !

I found you post very useful by the way as I have just been diagnosed with facto v heter (GP tests)  as well and my consultant said clexane from EC day which I wasn't happy about. Out of interest was the thinking on the steroid any thing to do wth factor v or to cover other issues.

Best of luck on your journey.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Morrigan

Thank you for your advice on aspirin - I don't like the taste either! Also, thanks for the good luck wishes ;)

On my last ivf, I was given 4 mg steroid ( medrol ). I think this was more of a precaution so the dose was low. I do have Raynauds, but I'm not on medication for it. Dr Gorgy didn't tell me any dosage for clexane + steroid, he said we'll sort that later. Apart from Factor V +DQ Alpha, there wasn't any other issues. We are still waiting for karyotyping from Gp, its been ages!

Sorry if I havn't been much help this time + the very best of luck to you too :)

Take Care

Rockchick.xx

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Just a quick reply.

I believe you need to take 75mg aspirin.  This is really important , as I think 100mg could be too much (certainly too much if you get pg).  It is very easy to obtain OTC, or go back to doc. to ask for another prescription.

Research by the Hughes Syndrome foundation ( ref. antiphospholipid syndrome, a clotting disorder) recommends NOT to use enteric aspirin as it dissolves too slowly and possibly inadequately to be as effective in combatting clotting associated with specific thrombophilias.

Just for info.  There is some thinking that aspirin is not required in addition to clexane for FVL (unlike antiphospholipid syndrome).  I was under Raj Rai at St. Mary's (expert in FVL) and he did not prescribe aspirin in addition to my clexane.  I have heterozygous FVL and started clexane from day 1 of my FET transfer - my only cycle to result in a live birth.  Worth asking about this as aspirin is a very strong medication which may not always be necessary.

Best
Daisy
x

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
nothing is ever simple!

I've seen docs prescribe everything between 75mg and 150mg for a variety of thrombophilias - and some insist that aspirin is needed alongside clexane because it has a different mode of action - with others being equally adamant that aspirin should never be used, only heparins (like clexane).  I guess you have to stick to whatever advice your own doc gives you, bearing in mind he is presumably prescribing with a knowledge of exactly which combination of thrombophilias you have and which other blood thinners e.g., clex he is prescribing to you?

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is interesting and a little confusing at the same time!

Daisyg, out of interest, what dose of clexane were you prescribed during your pregnancy that resulted in a live birth?

Lois xxx

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi Lois,

I was prescribed 40mg clexane from day 1 of FET cycle (I succeeded on a donor embryo cycle).  In addition I had 25mg prednisolone started on day 1 plus 5mg folic acid/50mg B6 1mg B12 plus Gestone.  I had had 1 infusion of IVIg approx. 1 month before cycle, but have no idea whether this influenced my cycle positively or not.

Agate - I agree that it is confusing!  Only offering a personal experience here and certainly cannot comment on individual cases.  Agree that medical advice necessary for each individual case.

Throughout my attempts to succeed, I often felt I was struggling to forensically piece together a particularly arcane jigsaw, and I still cannot be sure what really worked for me in the end!  This is why it can be frustrating and emotionally draining going through this process.

Best of luck to all,

Daisy
xxx

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Thanks ladies

I have got some 75mg aspirin today.  (being blonde, i take it dispersible can't be enteric coated??)  I finally managed to get my GP to speak to the consultant haematologist today who had refused my last two bloods and they have agreed to test me for factor v, hallelujah!!  Will pick up the form and have the third lot of bloods taken for it tomo.

Still a bit worried tho as results take 3 weeks to come back (even if i went private) and i'm currently PUPO......really hope that i don't have it and not taking clexane won't mean this cycle doesn't work.  If they'd just done their b****dy job in the first place and reported on the bloods i would have known before this tx.  And they didn't even bother to let me or my GP know that they weren't doing the test and/or why so for weeks i just kept ringing up asking for results and various people just saying they took a long time but no one seemed to know how long or when a long time was too long!!! grrrrrrr  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^  Can't believe what a shambles the NHS is sometimes, really quite frightening.

I thought tho with my gp requesting the test that i'd be in a similar position to morrigan and not being able to interpret them/get treatment etc but if factor v did come back positive it's quite straightforward/fairly widely known tx with clexane isn't it?  Even if my GP doesn't know (and she doesn't seem to know much about IF stuff tbh) she should be able to find out and it shouldn't be too complicated to get tx/meds for it i hope.;...

Well fingers crossed i don't have it and i haven't just wasted my time and money and emotional energy on this cycle....

GGx

·
Registered
442 Posts
Daisy, thanks for getting back to me. Just wondering why I was prescribed 60mg clexane + asprin per day during my last pregnancy when I have FVL (hetrozygote) the same as you? Unfortunatley this pregnacy resulted in a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks. So of course I'm wondering about this clexane/asprin difference in prescription for the same conditon as you........btw, your in box is full!

GG, good luck with your present cycle.

Lois xxx

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
GG Hun - remember your sister had 2 healthy pregnancies with it - even if you have it your not garanteed to have a problem - try not to worry and concentrate on those two little embies currently nestling in ( really easy to type not so easy to do ) good news on test though !

Hec a whole book could be written on subject !

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Thanks morrigan.

Yeah i'm doing my best not to fret too much.  It's just frustrating when you find things out that if the docs had found them out and followed things through differently/better you could have had a completely different outcome with things that don't get picked up/pushed through.

Yes collectively we could write a whole load of IF books on here and make a fortune!!  Agate's practically got hers half written and should find a publisher, her knowledge is amazing  :)

GGx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.