Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our first IVF cycle has just been abandoned due to a low response.  I do have a fairly large (6cm x 6cm on last look) endometriotic cyst on my left ovary but because of my history of recurring monthly cysts, my consultant wanted to go ahead anyway - and he was going to aspirate it at EC.  Do you think the cyst would have affected my response?  Surely if it did, my consultant would not have gone ahead?  What are other reasons for low responses?  I'm 38 so perhaps that's it!? 

Does the short protocol have a history of working for women who have tried the long one and failed?

I have a follow up apt in 1.5 weeks so will have more answers then, but to me that seems along time to have these questions floating about in my head!

Thanks very much for your time.

xx

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Hi BH

I am not a nurse but have a similar experience to you.

I am a poor responder. IVF number 1 was converted to IUI at the last minute as only 1 follicle grew. IVF number 2 took 2 1/2 months to complete and I ended up with 4 eggs but that was after 18 days of stims! IVF number 3 was abandoned due to poor response and the fact that I started ovulating before they had a chance to do an egg collection.

I have a cyst that flares up every month on my left ovary. Infact, thats almost all that does happen on that ovary as it doesn't seem to produce many, if any follicles. The cyst has never affected any of my treatments and like yours, my consultant always says he will drain it at ec. The one and only time we got to ec it burst before he had the chance!!

I am starting number 4 in a couple of weeks time and am doing a cetrotide cycle this time. My nurses said that some poor responders have a better response on this type of cycle as there is no down regulation, you just start stims on day 2/3 of your cycle then start injecting the cetrotide to stop ovulation occuring before ec. Ec is done around 14 days after you start stims. The best thing is that the cycle is so much shorter without the down regulation process! Sounds good to me!

I hope you get all your questions answered at the follow up and I wish you lots of love and luck for your next go.

Rachel xxx

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Rachel,

Thanks so much for your response.  I thought I was only one who had a recurring cyst as hadn't heard anyone else mention it.  Are yours painful too?  How long have you been having them?  Mine appeared after a major operation I had in July and won't go away!  It's difficult enough going through IVF cycles isn't it, without the added pain and worry of a cyst at the same time. 

We haven't had our follow-up yet (next Tues) so will know more then.  I'm starting to panic that he'll say that that it's for us - surely not - surely there are other options.  I haven't heard of the cetrotide cycle - sounds very similar/same as the short protocol? 

All the very best for your next go - it sounds very promising and I'll keep everything crossed for you!

Take care, BH xx

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi BH

I dont know if endo cysts affect stimms but I had mine drained 18 mnths ago and it did nt 'fill up' again  ;)

Just thought I'd let you know.

Good luck.

Becca
x

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Becca,

Thanks for your message.  That's positive then to hear that not all endo cysts constantly refill!  I had one last Oct/Nov that was so painful and eventually aspirated.  Only to get an even bigger one in it's place a month later!  The consultant said he'd never seen that happen before.  I had to go to A&E with that one as I couldn't bear the pain.  I was hoping that that would be it, particularly with starting our first IVF cycle in Jan, only to find it's come back again.  I've still got this one; luckily I don't have the same amount of pain as with the last 2.  I almost feel as though it's not worth getting rid of it, as it'll only come back!  At least your story has given me hope - thanks  :)

BH x

·
Registered
500 Posts
hi all
sorry to but in but im the same although i havent any cysts..
im a slow responder.. this is my 2nd cycle due to abandon monday if a miracle doesnt happen..600 gonal f per day.
could i just ask what a cetrocide cycle is as im now looking at other options until my follow up...they want me on short procol and to sniff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
any ideas or info would be much appreciated....
many thanks marzy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts