Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter,

Our first ICSI cycle was abandoned yesterday due to poor response to the stims drugs. I was on the short cycle ICSI due to my husband's failed vascetomy reversal and started injecting menopur 150 daily. My baseline scan was perfect, lining was good and there were 11 small follicles but my day 7 scan was disapponting with only 2 follicles in my right ovary responding to the drugs. My dose was upped to 225 and a few days later to 375. 2 of the follicles were growing nicely ( I think they got up to 17mm) but there was only a slight response with the smaller ones. My fertility nurse said that it may be a case that I was started on too low a dose and my ovaries were being a bit lazy. I am 28 and of a slight build and they were worried about giving me too high a dose to begin with. She said that I should be encouraged as my womb lining was ideal as were the 2 follicles that did grow and it is quite normal to get the dosage wrong on the first cycle.
I just feel so disappointed that I got so close and I am also worried that the same may happen next time. I am seeing my doctor next week and wonder what he will suggest to do differently next time. I am also hoping that he will allow me to start again straight away on my next cycle without having a break.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my situation.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Please see my comments in your text:

katherine said:
Hi Peter,

Our first ICSI cycle was abandoned yesterday due to poor response to the stims drugs.

Sorry to hear that.

I was on the short cycle ICSI due to my husband's failed vascetomy reversal and started injecting menopur 150 daily. My baseline scan was perfect, lining was good and there were 11 small follicles but my day 7 scan was disapponting with only 2 follicles in my right ovary responding to the drugs. My dose was upped to 225 and a few days later to 375. 2 of the follicles were growing nicely ( I think they got up to 17mm) but there was only a slight response with the smaller ones. My fertility nurse said that it may be a case that I was started on too low a dose and my ovaries were being a bit lazy.

This is a good comment and probably exactly what happened in this case.

I am 28 and of a slight build and they were worried about giving me too high a dose to begin with.

Thta is sensible, you may have developed OHSS with a higher dose which is much worse than a cancelled cycle.

She said that I should be encouraged as my womb lining was ideal as were the 2 follicles that did grow and it is quite normal to get the dosage wrong on the first cycle.

Absolutely correct. Given hindsight it might have been better to start you on a higher dose.

I just feel so disappointed that I got so close and I am also worried that the same may happen next time.

The clinician treating you will be very aware of what has happened this time and will do everything in his power to avoid a repeated cancelled cycle.

I am seeing my doctor next week and wonder what he will suggest to do differently next time.

Probably starting on a higher dose and possible different drugs.

I am also hoping that he will allow me to start again straight away on my next cycle without having a break.

There is no reason why not unless you have other medical problems.

Hope this helps!

Peter

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts