Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

My Sister is really wanting to breastfeed her new DD (14 days old), she had real problems with her DS so gave up after a few weeks (tongue tie and bad advice).

I unfortunately don't know how to help her out as I didn't have any problems with my DD.

Basically I think her DD is a little nocturnal at the moment.  She pretty much sleeps all day and rarely wakes for a feed.  She can sometimes go more than 6 hours inbetween.  She then decides to cluster feed all night between 23:00-05:00 and refuses to be put down and wants to be held all the time.

She has tried all the tricks of trying to wake her at least every 4 hours for a feed during the day but she just has a few suckles and falls asleep again.  She may wake 30mins later and have a few more suckles but that is it.  She didn't lose a great deal of birth weight and has since put it back on.  She doesn't have funny green poos so must be getting hind milk in her very short feeds.  Sister has now begged me for one of my breastflow bottles to use on occassion on the many feeds during the night as she just can't cope.  She is obviously suffering form uncomfortable boobs and sore nipples but mainly huge sleep deprivation what with her DS too look after too.

Do any of you have any advice on what she can do?

I have told her to try and express during the day especially after the few suckles LO does just so her body gets the message to produce milk.  Is this right?

Thanks very much
Yxx

·
Registered
999 Posts
The advice I was given was to not let it go more than 4 hours from start of one feed to the start of the next, and to wake Kara and change her nappy to wake her more before feeding.  However 14 days old is still very very young, and I don't think Kara really got the whole day/night concept until she was about 6 weeks old.  Your Neice sounds like she's got the right idea, just at the wrong time.  She's cluster feeding through the night and then sleeping in the day instead of cluster feeding in the evening and then sleeping more at night.

My best advice would be for your Sister to try getting your Niece to cluster feed in the evening.  Wake her, change her nappy and put her to the breast frequently during the evening in the hope that this tops her up.  But for now the lack of sleep is an issue, so she should try and sleep when her Daughter does during the day.  Stuff the visitors, housework etc!!  This is a very important time for establishing breastfeeding, some cultures celebrate this time and in the important early weeks the family rally round and do everything so that Mum and baby can purely nurse and rest.

I hope that your Sister can get through these first few weeks.  As you know they are tough, but once BF s established, it really does get so much easier.  I never wanted to BF, but here I am typing this nursing my little girl who is 17 month tomorrow.  If someone had told me that 2 years ago I would have been calling them a liar!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tracey

Thanks for your suggestions, I passed them on to my Sister.

She has been trying what you suggested but no improvement yet.

She is still perservering as she really wants to succeed at BF.  Weekends are not too bad as she has DH and Mum&Dad around to occupy DS so she can rest.  Week days are harder though when DS isn't at preschool.

Crossing my fingers that things improve for her soon.
Yxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.