Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter,

I don't know if you can help me but any advice would be great. Sorry it's such a long one.

You kindly gave me advice back in May when I had bleeding in early pregnancy, sadly I lost the baby. I am 37 years old and have no children.

I have been having IVF treatment, positive test on 1st attempt but lots of problems. Bleeding in early pregnancy, fetus heartbeat stopped at 7.5 weeks, D&C to remove, pegnancy remains left after surgery which caused heavy bleeding, cyst on ovary. Last scan (8 weeks after surgery) showed cyst & pregnancy remains gone but now another problem, abnormal blood flow to uterus.

The sonographer hadn't seen anything like it before and had to take the scan pictures to her boss, a consultant radiologist. My IVF consultant talked to the consultant radiologist and they don't want to do any further investigations in the hope that it clears itself. Apparently all investigations carry some risk. The radiologist wants to scan me himself in 8 weeks time. My questions are what could the problem be? I have not been told. The IVF consultant did say it was caused by the pregnancy.

Also, could this problem have caused the bleeding in pregnancy which resulted in losing my baby? (if yes it would help me come to terms with it, at least I would know the reason). If I become pregnant again after it has cured itself or been treated, could the problem recur? The IVF consultant says it's not his area of speciality. I have been told that if I become pregnant whilst the abnormal blood supply is there I will probably miscarry.

IVF consultant also said I could bleed very heavily, so heavy that I could be hospitalised and a rare complication could be that I will lose my uterus.

First period has just arrived (8.5 weeks after D&C), I've never been as happy to see one! The delay was apparently because of the pregnancy remains left in my uterus.

I have had complication after complication and need to start gathering advice as to whether it is worth us having any more attempts at IVF. To go through all this again would be an absolute nightmare.

I am seeing my GP this week in the hope that she will send me to a consultant gynaecologist so I can get some answers but any advice in the meantime would help.

Holly

·
Registered
856 Posts
Holly667 said:
Dear Peter,

I don't know if you can help me but any advice would be great. Sorry it's such a long one.

You kindly gave me advice back in May when I had bleeding in early pregnancy, sadly I lost the baby. I am 37 years old and have no children.

I am sorry to hear that

I have been having IVF treatment, positive test on 1st attempt but lots of problems. Bleeding in early pregnancy, fetus heartbeat stopped at 7.5 weeks, D&C to remove, pegnancy remains left after surgery which caused heavy bleeding, cyst on ovary. Last scan (8 weeks after surgery) showed cyst & pregnancy remains gone but now another problem, abnormal blood flow to uterus.

The sonographer hadn't seen anything like it before and had to take the scan pictures to her boss, a consultant radiologist.

This would be expected, they are not trained in this apsect of sonography

My IVF consultant talked to the consultant radiologist and they don't want to do any further investigations in the hope that it clears itself. Apparently all investigations carry some risk.

I agree, these things are best left alone as they often resolve themselves.

The radiologist wants to scan me himself in 8 weeks time. My questions are what could the problem be?

As in your second mail it sounds like AVM. This si not a major problem and should not prevent you from getting pregnant.

I have not been told. The IVF consultant did say it was caused by the pregnancy.

Yes, it can be

Also, could this problem have caused the bleeding in pregnancy which resulted in losing my baby? (if yes it would help me come to terms with it, at least I would know the reason).

I am afraid that I can only say possibly here. there are so many other possible causes of the bleeding that it is impossible to tie it down to one particular thing.

If I become pregnant again after it has cured itself or been treated, could the problem recur?

Possibly but unlikely

The IVF consultant says it's not his area of speciality. I have been told that if I become pregnant whilst the abnormal blood supply is there I will probably miscarry.

It depends on the extent of the abnormaility and if blood flow can be increased via drugs.

IVF consultant also said I could bleed very heavily, so heavy that I could be hospitalised and a rare complication could be that I will lose my uterus.

True but very rare

First period has just arrived (8.5 weeks after D&C), I've never been as happy to see one! The delay was apparently because of the pregnancy remains left in my uterus.

I would agree with this

I have had complication after complication and need to start gathering advice as to whether it is worth us having any more attempts at IVF. To go through all this again would be an absolute nightmare.

You need to tkae advice from all of the experts involved but from what you say once all this has settled you could easily get pregnant again.

I am seeing my GP this week in the hope that she will send me to a consultant gynaecologist

This is a very good idea

Good luck!

Peter

so I can get some answers but any advice in the meantime would help.

Holly

1 - 2 of 2 Posts