Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bad acne..and found that using Clinique acne solutions has helped loads..But i get spots that are really big and not spotty? They're like raised red lumps that are really painful too, but they never turn into spots they just hang around making my face hurt for about a week.
Does anyone else have this and do you have any ideas on how i can stop them??

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Ju
Andy gets these, he has been using the Neutrogena viably clear range, he uses the 2 in 1 wash/masque, the on the spoty treatment and the oil free moisturiser and they seem to be clearly his skin up really well. I have started borrowing them over the last few days although not noticed any results for myself yet.
Chick

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Chick - the Neutrogena stuff is good, especially the combined wash/mask. If you leave this on for 15 minutes it really dries the spots up, without overdrying the skin!

I get really bad outbreaks every few weeks (grrr! Aren't we too old for spots?!) and to be honest, I've never found a miracle cure, but the following things can really help:

- Taking extra Vits B, C and E which are important for skin healing and regeneration.

- Try buying one of those facial steamers. They can really draw out impurities and help calm spots. I find them relaxing too, which is nice!

- Using Tea Tree Oil direct on the spot (from Body Shop). Smells a bit, but pretty good! Some essential oils can be really good too for calming skin...try asking in Holland and Barratt.

- Eve Lom do a really good spot potion. Pretty pricey but cool. Its made a calomine  (?) lotion, you could buy some of that from Boots for a tenth of the price!

- Applying Toothpaste overnight (attractive eh?!). This really takes the redness away.

- Using a facial scrub once a week clears all the old skin away and can stop spots forming.

- Oh, and the most boring of all...drinking tonnes of water to flush the skin! Sure you know that though, so I'll shut up! x

Anyway, good luck hun, spots are the bane of my life! Hence the reason I've tried everything in the book!

Let me know if you discover a miracle won't you!
Kate

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies.. i have tried neutrogena stuff but i find the clinique stuff is better..
I'm on the marilyn glenville vits so i think i'm having loads of vits, i drink 2 litres of pure bottled water everyday..plus other drinks

Lipgloss... have never tried steamer but i dont like water or stuff on my face..even fask masks..i dont like people touching my face either..(so no facials for me)
I have tried the tea tree oil not sure if it worked i didnt use it for long enough..the tubes are tiny and i had so many spots i ran out!!
Toothpaste doesnt do it for me either  it dries on the spot and i have to scrub it off my face in the morning making the spot worse.

Eve lom not heard of that??will look out for it

Not sure about the facial scrub..they hurt!!!

Chick66 let me know how it goes..

The ultimate question is

TO SQUEEZE OR NOT TO SQUEEZE????

Mine hurt so much that sometimes i have to but sometimes they're so pussy i can't even touch them let alone squeeze them

I hae been using clinique for acne it's really expensive but i bought some etra really cheap in the states.they're cover up doesnt make my spots worse and i use the night repairwear cream and after washing with the soap  in the morning i use the daytime shield (thats also an anti greaser) i cant use the foaming wash though because it dries my skin really badly...

I wondered if when you use a product for a while does it stop working..should you swap to something else then change back..when i bean using it last year my skin was really clear..but it has come back with avengance..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to have really bad Acne, but I think since going onto Dianette and Metformin it has calmed down a lot, I still get bad spots which are almost like boils I think, sometimes they don't come to anything just seem to hang about for ages, seems that nothing helps them to go away though, I just have to live with them  :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
HI Girls, I too have suffered with acne for the last 17 years.  Hope this posting helps some of you.  The only times I've been blessed with clear skin are when I've been on Dianette (pill) and now I'm on Metform 500mg 3 times a day.  When I don't have the drugs to regulate my hormones my acne always flares up.  I've tried all the highstreet and cosmetic company brands. My favourites are:

Spot gel:  'Origins' Spot Remover (has salicylic acid which really helps to dry up a spot) - all my friends and DH swear by it.  It won't stop new acne when it's popping up but it will help calm them down/dry them up.

Face wash: You need something that isn't too harsh.  Cheap: 'Clean & Clear's Oil Free Deep Cleansing Cream Wash (Boots sell it) doesn't dry/ irritate my skin; or Expensive my fav is 'Caudalie' Instant Foaming Cleanser which is natural and light (find it in Space NK, Sephora).

Moisturiser:  Cheap: 'Clean and Clear', 'Clearasil' are good if your skin is active; Expensive: Origins Matte Scientist - it's a oil controlling lotion you can wear under makeup.

Face masks:  'Origins' Out of Trouble (gets rid of dead skin cells and feels really soothing after a bad day) and 'Origins' Clear Improvements (absorbs oil). My DH calls them my Ghost and Nessy (as in Lock Ness monster) faces!

The Back/ chest: Clinique anit-blemish solutions back and chest spray.

Night time gels: Clinique do one I found useful.

But to be honest girls, when the acne flares up all of the above just merely control it.  I find the best treatments are Dianette or Metformin.  Also the hospital gave me Zineryt Topical Solution (mild antibiotic) - which worked wonders more than any high street product, it actually reduced the number and size of new bumps (but it was very drying on the skin so you'll need a more heavy duty moisturiser for the flaky bits of your face).

DON'T SUFFER with highstreet stuff, demand you be referred to a hospital consultant.  I had to break down in tears with my GP and then waited 3 months to get any help.  Now the bumps are gone but I've got scars which will take years to fade.

Talking of which - does anyone know of any good ways to fade scars (other than the clinique products).  Also any tips on make up to cover it all up?

I use Clinique Superfit makeup which does a so so job in hiding marks.

Remember get your GP to refer you to the hospital, we have enough stress in our lives right now without having to contend with acne!

·
Registered
119 Posts
sicknote i have the same as you so it sounds like my spots sometimes like almost like boils and take ages to go away like you i have  tried most things even toothpaste ( as yes isnt it hard to get off in the morning!!),
nothing i have tried works, i'm on metformin which helped for about a month now its back just as before, cant go on the pill as trying for a baby!! sometime wonder why otherhalf fancies me, i told him i'm gona have a goatee and acne for xmas  ;D joking aside i hate the way the spots look and now i have started to get them all over my body which is a right pain as the last one i got was under my bra strap! :(
will have to keep plodding on trying new things

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
piercingqueen.. if you think you may be able to afford it i'd invest in some more exspensive products..i find cheap make up makes my boil spots worse..as i've said i find the cinique stuff great but expensive, also i have started exfoliating when i get quite a few.. i had found that the metformin make me sweatier and so my spots on my neck and back get worse, but i've started using the back spray(clinique) and am doing regular body brushing (to help me loose weight and shift some celulite).

I seem to find most of my spots are t zone but the big boil ones are on my jaw line..think it's where i touch my face with my hands alot..Also wanted to say regular stays in the sauna at my gym have helped get my skin clearere..(also the more organic food i seem to eat the clearer my skin gets too...i'm off for a blast of sunshine soon ..only 7 weeks... and that's supposed to be a great healer.. but can anyone recommend a good suncream THAT WONT CLOG MY PORES AND CAUSE MORE SPOTS??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Piercingqueen, like Sicknote suggested I too have found the Clinique back spray to be good. It helps to dry up the oilyness. Good luck.

·
Registered
868 Posts
nt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi

My doctor won't recommend anything for the acne while I'm trying to get pregnant - but it's really getting me down and some days I really don't want anyone to see me!

Products are lining up in the bathroom now...

I've got a Neutrogena face wash and will try and get the face mask too, which some of you think is good.

Has anyone tried products with gycolic acid in?  I've bought something from MD Formulations - but when I asked my Doc, he said it works under the skin and although there are no links to harm in pregnancy, he thinks I should avoid it for now.  Has anyone else looked into this and is anyone else using it?

Thanks

Luci ^reiki^

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suffer from adult acne and I have found out that some of  Nutrogena products have a very good feedback especially the oil free Moisturizer for combination skin and the oil free cleansers.
Unfortunately trying to find any on-line skincare suppliers in the United Kingdom remains impossible all I get come up on the search engines are American Sites and the shipping is far to expensive..
Can anybody help?

Caz.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I dont have PCOS but I do get eczema & acne which is a nightmare as the cure for one causes the other!

Best thing all round for my skin is the dreaded sunbed!

I had sunbed treatments at the hospital years ago & when I had my appts there was always the same young lad - when he first came along his face really was an horrific mess but after several sessions it really cleared up.

I've had 2 courses of mega dose Vit A (gone blank, can't remember the name, begins with an R!!) from the hospital which is supposed to cure acne - it worked 100% on my body but still get flare ups of bad spots on my face.

Only trouble is - can't take it while trying for a baby (had to sign a form to say I would agree to a termination if I accidently got pregnant - spent months worrying about it! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

I've found that aromatherapy facials are good - not masks!! Had a mask once, the week before a wedding & looked horrific! The Elemis ones are excellent.

Good luck! Hope you all get clear complexions & a BFP!

Jess x

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Jess you thinking of Roaccutane?  The best thing for acne but a hospital only treatment and NO WAY can you take it while ttc.

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
yep i get awful spots too, best thing i've ever done is not wear makeup! well i say the best thing (my mirror prob doesnt agree tho!) i always used to be one of those who NEVER left the house without makeup on, not caked on or owt but had to have a base coat on! gone without for a month now and my skins in really good nick. plus i use st ives stuff, facial  scrub etc, its really good. (use the scrub on ya body and legs too then whop some moisturiser on, slide into the silky bedsheets.....heaven!)  ;D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes nikki, that's the baby!

(Horrid stuff but did make me go incredibly brown in the summer - said something about "avoiding sunlight "but only cos it makes you go so dark!!)

That's the problem - can't use while ttc or for 6 months before ttc. 

Sorry!

Jess x

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I've never suffered from acne but working along side a dermatologist for a bit has taught me that Roaccutane is the one to go for when the time is right, but consultant should only prescribe it when everything else is exhausted and should do regular blood tests.  Again I stress that unsafe to use when ttc or pregnant.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I've picked up some really good tips from this thread girls, so thank you!

I thought I would just add some things too:

I've used the traditional 'spot' products like Clearasil and Clean and Clear in the past...Clean and Clear brought me out in a nasty rash! :mad:

The face cloths by Clearasil were really good (their new range). They really cleared my skin up, but didn't overdry them...thumbs up!

I'm a bit of a designer product junkie, and the best face wash I've found is actually a really mild one - Clarins Gentle Face Wash. Its not designed for spotty skin, but has really conditioned my skin and it looks generally healthier. I also use Clarins Energising Morning cream - my favourite product of all time! Makes skin look really healthy!

My favourite face scrub is Origins Never a Dull Moment - its lovely!

I don't think you can beat Clinique SOS Spot Gel for big boil like spots - it burns the skin a bit, but really blasts the spot! I also like their after spot pen - it helps to fade scars.

Lastly, I would reccommend Decleor Aromatherapy Face Oils. Might sound like a strange thing to put on blemish prone skin, but I find the massage movement really clears the skin up, and soothes it at the same time! Good for scarring too...

God I am going on a bit now, sorry!

Another favourite (cheapie one) is Bio-Oil. You can by this in chemists and on the net, and it is really good for soothing and fading scars and reddened skin. Good to put on before you go to bed....

Oh, lastly, I don't think you can beat the occassional sun bed session to really clear up breakouts...gives you a nice healthy glow which disguises the zits! :)

I do go on - sorry ::)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Me again  :)

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried a face peel/microdermabrasion?

I think its slightly on the pricey side, but have heard its really good for treating acne and reducing scarring...

I was thinking of trying the Crystal Clear Microdermabrasion system.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks
Kate x

1 - 20 of 20 Posts