Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Has anyone been told that when you have a vial of a drug (Puregon for me), that it may not actually contain the dose it says it does?

I've been advised that a vial of (example) 100iu Puregon doesn't actually mean it contains that level of the drug.  It may actually contain only 75iu.  Or could even contain as much as 125iu. 

I found this a little odd, so called a couple of manufacturers of the drug who claim the dose on the label is what you get. Now I'm a little confused!

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

thanks

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
The Puregon vials tend to contain over 100iu more than it says on the tin  ;D
It saves us money in the end.  I've noticed that the 900iu vials hold at least 125iu extra and the 300iu vials a good 100iu extra.
The fact that you have to dial the required dose means that you get the exact amount.

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I also found that the vials had more than the stated amount in them, so I used less full vials than I expected with both treatments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers ..
She hulk - what do you mean by dial the required dose?  If you were prescribed a dose of 900iu every day, you actually injected a dose of 1125??

Hi Ms Waffle!!!  N is looking gorgeous in that pic!  You're talking about the pen aren't you?  I only had the actual vial - so you had to stick the needle in a draw up the liquid. 

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Kody, the pen has a dial that goes up to 450iu.
If you had to inject 150iu of Puregon you would turn the dial to 150 and then inject IYSWIM. 
I take it than you don't have the pen?  Why is that?  It makes life much easier and the injections take a nano second.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She-hulk.  The clinic only prescibe the single dose vials (it's NHS).  But even if I used the pen, the question would be the same.  It's the strength of the dose thats odd.  If you are injecting a strength of 100iu, you could be getting a strength of 125 or as low as 75iu.

I guess no-ones ever heard of this before?

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I guess this is why it comes with the pen - that way you get the actual dose that you need.  The vials are always overfilled in my experience.  Having said that, I have never used 100iu vials but the 300iu, 600iu and 900iu always have quite a bit extra.
Can your clinic not give you a pen?  That way you would get the exact amount needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the issue is with the actual strength of the liquid in the vial - be it in a single dose or a pen.  Even if you were prescribed a pen of 100iu dosages.. what is in each dose of 100iu could be as low as 75iu or as high as 125iu.  Sorry, I don't think I've explained this very well! :(

It is very confusing.  The Dr told me that each time I inject a dose of 100iu, because the drug can't be exact (only talking about Puregon) the actual strength I get can either be 75ui or 125.  The amount of liquid I inject is the same each time, but the strength can differ greatly.  This jsut doesn't seem right to me!

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I getcha. I would doubt that the strength of the actual liquid would ever differ. I have used Puregon and Follistim (same drug but branded differently in the States) and have never heard of an instance where it used without the pen ^idiot^ I find that very strange. Why not contact the manufacturers directly? http://www.organon.com or http://www.puregon.com?

/links

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for that. I have placed a call with Organon, hopefully that will shed some light on it.   
I must admit I did find it odd when the Dr told me that (it was a fertility consultant!) but you don't feel you can question what they say do you. 
I will try the Puregon site you mention too. 
thanks for the help
x

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Let me know how you get on. You'd hope that the experts would be correct - I know what you mean about not wanting to question them.

xx

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
At my clinic (maybe coz i was an eggsharer so wasn't me paying for my meds) i was told dial the puregon up til it uses the whole cartridge so eg: i was on 150ui at first and i had 300ui cartridges so on the third night (following 2 nights of 150ui eahc night) i would take the 100ui excess in the cartridge - which occasionally was only 75 so its not exact but pen only dials whats there, then i would put in new cylinder and dial up the remainder of the dose so if i got 100 out i would take 50 from new cartridge.  As one of the others said if you are paying for your meds it will save you a vial or two in the end.  Does mean an extra jab every few nights though  ;)

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
At ARGC the patient info leaflet even says each vial of puregon cartride (pen) contains 100+ units, so basically a 'free' dose every so often.  We actually stuck a 1 ml syring in the cartrisge and aspiracted it out as 1 ml is 100 IU so only needed one prick for the 'dregs'
L x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts