Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the very early stages of research and not sure where to begin! Has anyone successfully managed to adopt from outside the UK or even outside the EU? Would be especially interesting to hear from adopters with direct experience.

Always been my dream to do this, even before we realized our fertility probs. Would particularly love to adopt an orphan from my mothers native North African country in due course, regardless as to whether or not we ever achieve success through our own fertility treatment.

An aunt of mine in France managed to adopt a baby boy from the same country and it took her years, so just thought I would put the feelers out.

Many thanks in advance,

Beegey x

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hi Beegey,

Welcome to the boards - great bunch on here and full of v. useful info :)

Re adopting abroad, DH & I did look into this at one point - it's a long process but a worthwhile one if you choose that path. Try contacting the IAC (website: http://www.icacentre.org.uk ) as they gave us lots of v. useful info and we also attended one of their information days which we found v. useful too.

FYI: DH & I found a LA who were recruiting prospoective adoptive parents and so we decided to progress domestic adoption and so we've not done anything more regarding international aoption.

Best of luck for your journey ^reiki^
Lots of love
Sarah
xx

/links

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

I don't know which North African country you mean but it's not easy at all in general - none of them has signed the Hague convention, and muslim countries are not enthousiastic about adoption (Islam foresee no adoption, but only 'guardianship'). We wanted to adopt in an arab country when thinking of moving there last year (given up for other reasons eventually), but it was only possible through christian agencies, for non-muslim children. You too would probably find it easier by relocating to North Africa, but I don't know if you can afford it, plus adoption there wouldn't be recognised in the UK automatically (very complicated).

Said that, in France sometimes they manage it, if they have North African heritage. If you have family contacts there, check there (or on French websites.)

Overall, international adoption in the UK is quite difficult as 1) the government prioritise domestic adoption, and 2) some countries don't like to send children to the UK as they consider it a bad place for children. So you are stuck with little more than Russia, China, Guatemala - all a bit dodgy in my view as far as the adoption system is concerned.

A reason for hope: there are sometimes children with North African heritage for domestic adoption within the UK.

Best,

Billy

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi there

We looked into international adoption at the outstart.  Am afraid don't know much at all about adopting from Africa - think most couples in the UK adopt from China, Russia and Guatemala (although not sure Guatemala is poss anymore).  The process is long and it can be quite costly.  For example I understand that with China you go through the homestudy in the UK (which sd take about 9 months) but matches from China are coming through v slowly - 2-3 year wait.

In the end we decided to adopt domestically. We are really glad that we did now - we have adopted a gorgeous 5 month old little girl.  We come from a mixed continental background (not pure British) so this meant that SS were quite keen to have us as a lot of the children they are looking to place are from mixed backgrounds.  If you have links to Africa you may find that you are in the same position and you may stand a good chance of adopting an African child from here in the UK.

Hope that helps

Fx   

1 - 4 of 4 Posts