Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Girls

Can I join you on this board.

After 6 ivf's, 1 Fet and three Mc last year..even though we still have five frozen we have decided to knock the whole IVF thing on the head and concentrate on adopting.

We are hoping to adopt from Russia...as there are plenty of babies and have decided on an agency...it is costly but we are guranteed a baby. (3 months after you get your UK clearance for a boy..and 9 months for a girl..)

Have had our Social Worker up and tommorrow we have ou first bit of our course. And next week we submit our Application..

So we have started our journey....I feel I have put all the misery behind us, accepcted that I will never give birth but I am going to be a MUM....Yippeeeee

We are just back from a holiday to Australia....none of the usual baby making pressure or heartache of a previous failed IVF attempt..it was bliss to just go on holiday and enjoy ourselves.

I dont think anyone else is doing an Overseas Adoption...if there is would love for you to drop me a line.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you

Love Paddy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Paddy.
Sorry to read your sad news but i'm pleased for you that your are going to get your child :)
I haven't had any for of IVF but have suffered with 4 mc so i can sort of understand how you feel.
How did you go about overseas adoption?
Are there any websites that i could look at?
Hope it all works out well for you
Love Tasha

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi Paddy

Welcome to the board.  It will be interesting to see the differences with your journey to those of us doing adoption from home.  I will add you to our list.  We all tend to post updates on the "Starting the journey or going through adoption" thread.

I was intrigued by your post, why is there the difference in timescales for boys and girls.  Are you going for just one or a sibling group?

Good luck with the process and I look forward to following your journey.

Karen x

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi paddi and other girls,

my dh and i have just made the decision to move on to adoption after 3 failed ivf cycles. i felt as though i had found out quite alot about donor eggs but now find myself back at square one (knowledge wise) with adoption. i have spoken to a social worker but have to wait 6 mths before we can begin. from previous experience i have found it does not pay to sit and wait but to ask loads of questions.

so we would be really grateful if you could give us any info into how adopting from russia works. which agency are you using and how much does it cost...any thing you can tell us we would be very grateful for.

thanks hun

tracey

·
Registered
16 Posts
Paddy,

I don't know if you are still following this thread, but my hubby and I have just decided to knock the fertility treatments on the head after 3 years of various problems and are looking to adopt from either Russia or China.

Our situation is that my dh's grandparents came from Russia and I have a degree in Russian HOWEVER (!!!) we will be limited by cost.  I was wondering if you have any idea of how much it would cost to adopt from Russia - we know that we will have to pay £5,000 just to go through the approval process which we can just about find as we had the money saved up for the IVF but I was wondering what the costs would be the other side of this?

I'd be really grateful if you could share what you've already found out.  Hope the process is going well for you - I'd love to know how you are getting on.

Angel
x

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
we are just starting to think about adoption and have looked into Russia, We have a 3 year old and would love to be able to adopt a child under the magic 12 months.

We have made an appointment for a SW to visit us after Easter to get the ball rolling.

Glad i found this link will be back

·
Registered
244 Posts
So Paddi

Do you have to go through the approval process here in the UK and then once approved go through the overseas agency?

I'm just wondering if this could be an option for us, once we are approved?

HHH

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me posting on here.  We are going to try ivf at the end of april but I need a "Plan B"! 

I am really interested in adopting a baby from Russia but don't know how to go about finding an agency.

I've tried searching on the internet but the agencies I've found are all American.  Are there any UK or even European based agencies I could contact?

Would be really grateful if someone would kindly IM me.

Many thanks,

Jess x

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Jess,

OAH is a UK charity that give you info on adopting abroad. If you type overseas adoption into your search engine their sire should come up. It says they are doing their site up at the moment so i haven't been able to get any info but it may be worth you keeping an eye on their site for when it is up and running again.

Good Luck

Fiona

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi
I'm so glad to see posts about adopting from overseas.  we are just heading down that route at the moment and had our initial meeting with the agency last week!

We're probably looking to adopt from China.
We had thought of Malawi - as I was born there and spent time there as a child, but having looked at it on the internet it doesn't seem possible.  With hindsight it was never going to be possible.  Russia was mentioned as a popular country to adopt from. We were told that you will need a minimum $40,000 to the Russian agency.....on top of the money to the UK agency..... which makes it quite costly.

Jess - another agency which deals with overseas adoption is PACT (parents and children together).  you can register your interest online with them and they'll send you their great booklets about both domestic and international adoption.

It's funny, but since we made the decision to go for adoption I feel like a total weight has been lifted off my shoulders - I just feel so much more positive about it all!  Funnily af arrived today and I was totally surprised by it...it's not early or late, but for the first time in about 10 years (apart from when I had ds) I had no idea where abouts in my cycle I was.  A wonderful feeling.

I hope we can help each other in this other route to adoption

Love to all and a happy easter
Van
XX ^bunny^ ^bunny^

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Glad this thread is up and running again. My SW is off sick till end of April. He will then come out and chat to us about the process. I need to work out how much $40,000 is in £.

Will be in touch as i get more info. I will look into PACT.

If anyone has anymore advice please let me know.

Thanks
Fiona

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Fiona

I'd definitely be keen to keep a thread going about international adoption. I know I'm not going to Russia, but I'm sure we can benefit from the approaches we are each taking and support, etc.

Anyway - I thought I'd give you PACT's email, as I remember I got confused when I first started searching for it as there seems to be another PACT site relating to adoption!

http://www.pactcharity.org/
is the one we are using. I had problems using their online form so sent my request by an email, but that was January and they may have mended it by now

all the best
Van
XX

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Van

Will PACT only help people who live in their area do you know.

Thanks for your advice, i have been on the internet tonight and got loads of info on Russia.

Fiona

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fiona

I'm not sure...sorry...as we are in their defined area. 

We asked our GP who pointed us in their direction.

You could always give them a call and ask if they'd help you or if not I'm sure they must know the other UK agencies who deal with international adoption and be able to point you in the right direction.  Their website says something like them being only one of 4 agencies in the UK able to deal with UK adoptions, so they should know who the others are!

Love Van
XX

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks for the info!

$40 000 sounds a bit out of our price league!  Nevertheless, I'm sure there must be other possibilities.

Thanks again & good luck to everyone else.

Jess x

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks Mrs G for pointing out to me that it's not 40 000 US $ but 40 000 roubles which is apparently a little short of £800!

Now that sounds a lot more promising!  :)

Jess x

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Just realised it might be US$ but I assumed as you are paying a russian agency it will be in roubles ??

Fiona1 is it US$ or Russian Roubles ???  :eek:

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
i don't know the cost i read about it on one of these threads i worked out that $40,000 is a huge amount of money and i doubt people could or would do it at that cost.

If and when i find out i will let you know

Fiona

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi

I was told the $40,000 figure at a meeting we went on recently with a sw at the agency re commencing the adoption procedure.... she did emphasise that a lot of money was required to adopt from Russia!

But, when you think of the amount of money we are willing to put into IVF, with no certain outcome, it isn't a large amount at all.  We've certainly spent that amount in tx... and more!  :-\

Van
XX

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just thought I ought to have a look about it.

this website http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/russia_adoption.php

puts the costs of adopting at between $25,000 - $35,000 and then when you add the £5,000 uk cost on top....and flights.......oh dear :eek:

I know it is a USA site, but it does seem to have some useful information if you are choosing to adopt from Russia.

Van
XX

1 - 20 of 31 Posts