Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently thinking about what sort of age group would be right for us and any future child and are keeping an open mind. Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on adopting older children? I would love to hear. :-\

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI,

Not sure what you mean by older.  I am right at the beginning of the process but we are thinking about a sibling group 0-5 or possibly 0-6.  However, I would ideally like to have at least one under 3.  But I think I am a bit unusual in that I do not yearn for a baby, it is more that I want to be a MUm.  I think older kids have the advantage in that things can be explained to them more and also you can tell a little bit more what type of child they are and whether you are a good fit together.  But despite what SS may want you to think, placements of older kids are more likely to break down so you do need to think very carefully about it.

if you look on the adoption UK website, there is a specific message board for adopters of older children, so you might get some useful info.

Not sure how helpful this has been!

Judith

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Danielle

I am not sure what age range you mean but your Local Authority maybe able to advise you on what would be best.  I know some have a maximum age gap between the eldest partner and youngest child, not sure if they do the same with a minimum age gap too if the children are older?

As Judith says because the children are more established as individuals when they are older you can sometimes have a harder task than adopting younger children. Doesn't mean to say adopting them younger is any easier either!

Good luck
Love
Karen x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judith and Karen - Thanks for the excellent advice.  We first said 0-3, but have decided to be open minded.
I feel just as you do Judith that the need to be a mum is more important to me than having a baby, however I need to think more about it and will certainly have a look at the website you recommend.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts