Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there does anyone know of anyone who has adopted as a diabetic? my clinic said I should be prepared to be turned down due to my diabetes???

help going crazy

Laurie in Devon xx

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
have sent you IM

Jess xx

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Laurie

I'm not sure is the honest answer.  The best thing to do is ring up your Local Authority Social Services Department and ask the question.  It would be best to know now than get half way through the process, and then have your medical if they were to say no.

Good luck
Karen x

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Laurie,

I have completed (as a professional) adoption assessments as have friends/colleagues of mine. The advise to call the agency through which you are apply is good - as each one is slightly different. Getting the medical done asap is also a good idea, as the medical officer to the panel can then raise any questions at the outset and your assessing social worker can go over those with you.

However in my experience, just because you are a diabetic, you should not be turned down. Yes you will be asked - and be prepared to be asked several times, through the assessment the secondary visit (generally the assessing s.w's supervisor) the panel and by the child's social worker. It is not about grilling or patronizing you - it is about the doing their job and ensuring things are well thought through and will be safe for the child.

What should be looked for is that you have a plan as to how to cope should you need assistance and you are the main care giver (I don't know your situation, but if you are at home and your partner is at work for example) or that should the worst happen to you, there is someone to car3 for the child. They will most likely also ask how you would explain and discuss your condition with the child.

Don't let someone you is miss informed dissuade you.
Hope that helps
M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.