Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, if so please can someone point me in the direction of the right link. 

I know my question to a certain extent is a bit like asking "how long is a bit of string" but I was wondering how long the adoption process takes.  I realise that there is no definite answer to this because it depends on circumstances eg where you are adopting from but I would be interested to know your experiences.  I understand that this can be quite a personal subject and I don't want exact details if you don't feel its appropriate.

Thanks
natstwinkle

·
Registered
931 Posts
:) Hi natstwinckle!

Welcome to our thread. I've replied to another lady this week about the very same subject, but not sure which subject it was under, so here goes my story...

We were told that the process from first application to being approved at panel would take between 9 and 12 months. We hope to go to panel in Feb or March, which will have been 12 months. Sounds a long time I know, but believe me it's flown past. You're so busy with reading up and finding out as much info as poss - preparation courses and meetings etc.

This time scale does vary across the country - from one authority to another. Some ladies on this thread have been through the process alot quicker than us, and yet others seem to have been ages. Also other factors make the difference - like if you've had fertility treatment they will want to give you a 6 month break (for coming to terms etc) - in some areas this has been upto a year.

Then after approval, time is really anyone's guess. Some don't wait long at all for a match, while others have waited months. That is the really tough part of the process.
Apart from the uncertainty part of it, we haven't found the process at all stressful - or at least not compared to the IVF!

I know it seems an age you're having to wait, but once you're here, you realise it's given you the time and space needed to re-adjust and focus on becoming adoptive parents. And it feels great to be here now!

So best of luck and don't be afraid to ask away... we are glad to listen and help wherever possible!

Take care

^hugme^

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi

As ever says it all varies dependent upon your own personal circumstances, the local authority (LA) you are with and also the age, circumstances and availability of children to match your requirements.

We started in January/February 2003, we had a few delays, firstly we were on holiday when they allocated us our first prep course dates, then the LA had an influx of older children and then our allocated Social Worker (SW) went long term sick.  We did the prep course in June 2003 and started the home study in November 2003.  We went to panle in April 2004 and then were matched in July 2004.  The process for them moving in took longer as they hadn't at the time been freed for adoption by the courts.  So our eldest moved in in November 2004 and the youngest in December 2004.  So all told it took nearly two years.

Having said that the government have laid down new timescales by which to get people through the process, they are stating it should take 8 months from initial registration (i.e. after you've waited if you need to have done after treatment) to going to panel.

Good luck

Karen x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.  It gives hope. Haven't actually gone down the adoption route yet as still under medical investigations but it was a question at the back of my mind. 

Karen, so very happy for you you must be over the moon. 

Everhopeful, good luck when you see the panel.  I am sure it will go well, it sounds like you have been busy doing your homework.

Thanks
natstwinkle

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Natswinkle
me and dh just finished our 1st and only IVF in December. We both said from the start that if it didn't work out then we would look into adoption and we have  :).

I contacted out LA 3rd January, 2 SW's came to see us on Thursday 6th January and we've been offered a place for the end of Feb  ;D

Our SW thinks it will take about 9 months but as we are getting a house extension in the summer, it will be after that so not too much disruption and not too near Xmas because that can be a bit of a disruptive time for children apparently.

Hope that helps,

LOL Val xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts