Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having failed three IVF cycles 2-3 yrs ago now, I guess we've been grieving the past few years and not really interested in pursuing adoption or anything else. We're in a much better place now. Also some close friends who have been on the adoption journey and have met their two adopted children today for the first time and this has inspired us. I am wondering whether it would be something my husband and I would feel ready to look at now. Only thing is we have been looking at moving to Wales and I'm not sure whether it would be simpler to stay put and focus on adoption or to move first and then start?? Am not dureif moving mid way through the process is complicated? Also we are English so I'm not sure if that makes a difference if you're looking to adopt in Wales...anyone got any experience of this??? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Hello, and welcome to FF  :)

It's a difficult decision that only you can make, but here are my thoughts....

It's generally not possible to start the process in one area and move to another without starting all over again, Wales are changing the way they work so in the future people should be able to move around Wales without restarting, but if you are moving to Wales mid-process you're likely to start from scratch.  :(

If you aren't happy where you are just now, I'd seriously consider moving first.  Adopting can be a long process, and even once a child is placed it can be a long time before they are ready to cope with another move.  Social Work would generally not be happy if you were planning to move within a couple of years of placement.  Having said that, we moved 75 miles 6 months after placement.  The move had been planned (time-wise, not location) from before we'd even started the adoption process.  SW were fine with it, though looking back we were very fortunate that it all worked out ok.

Some agencies state that adopter must have lived in the area for at least 2 years - it might be worth checking.

Being English shouldn't make any difference in terms of assessment etc.  It might make a difference when it comes to matching, but not a major one.

I'm sure that's not helped at all, but hopefully might be useful!

Bx

G

·
We looked into adoption and fostering when we were first married and living in England and as we were considering relocating we were advised to put it on hold until we had moved as you would have to restart the process in a new location, but we did go to an information evening to make sure that was what we wanted.  After moving we left it a year before making contact with the LA here.  At our (fostering) approval panel we were asked if we were planning to stay in the area since we'd moved to it fairly recently.  I believe the same would apply to adoption. 

In terms of being English and adopting in Scotland it made no difference; I doubt Wales would be any different. 

Why not do some finding out now?  I'm sure you could go to an information evening and the basics will be the same wherever. 

Good luck with making the right decision for you.

Bop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Boggy and Bop - it's really useful to hear from people who have been through the process.  :)  Food for thought, and maybe the information event would be a good place to find out more to help our decision :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts