Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom.  I am starting FSH today.  This is my second cycle and after the first went so wrong, I am terrified.  Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of my eggs, if I get any?  I've read some people say eat Brazil nuts, others say drink milk.  I'm drinking loads of water, no alcohol, eating healthily, big multi-vits etc.

Also, has anyone else been told (I'm at Lister) to halve the amount of Buserelin they are on when they start the stimming drugs?  It's written on my info form, but I wasn't actually told to do it.  Can't get hold of ANY nurses at the clinic!  V frustrating, and v worried I am going to mess it up with wrong dose.

Also, has anyone else had really bad embryos one cycle, then good ones another cycle? 

Thanks

Laura

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

A good level of protein can help improve egg quality.  I've never bothered with the protein/whey shakes (many contain soya anyway) but I do ensure that I drink plenty of skimmed/semi skimmed organic milk (contains more protein than full fat), around 1 litre a day, as well as lots of protein in my diet.  I also take wheatgrass, chlorella and spirulina cos as well as having lots of goodies in them, they are also high in protein.

Zinc and vitamin E can also help promote healthy eggs.

Brazil nuts contain selenium but this is more to do with improving womb lining than healthy eggs.....although obviously it's best to ensure a good, healthy, balanced diet all round.

I've also always taken a spoonful of Apimist every fresh IVF cycle...this is a "special" honey which contains bee pollen, bee propolis and royal jelly....all may be beneficial for fertility.

.....and of course, drinking plenty of water, at least 2 litres a day...not only does it help flush the drugs around your body but you need to keep hydrated as this is very important for hormones and cells...and subsequently eggs !

I've always responded very well to the IVF drugs...first 3 cycles I managed to get 10 eggs, 19 eggs and then 16 eggs respectively....and all were healthy and mature.  With our last fresh IVF I had 30 eggs collected.  The consultant was amazed that I'd managed to get so many (although I did have 40+ follicles !) and at our follow up meeting last week, she actually said she was not only surprised at the number I got but also the quality as they were all mature and healthy....the quality and quantity was something she said she'd more likely expect to see in someone of 19...of 25...of 29 but not of someone of 39 !!  We've also managed to get good grade embryos too.  Obviously I was really pleased....although ultimately it's still not managed to get us pregnant and despite healthy eggs (and top grade embies) there may still be some chromosonal isses but that's not something they can "see" just by looking and if this is the case, there's nothing diet can do about it....we're hoping it's not the case.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say in a long winded way, is that I've managed to get lots of good quality eggs by doing the above.

Good luck
Natasha ^reiki^

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Laura,

On both my previous cycles when i started stimms i was told to drop the Buserelin dose from 0.5 to 0.2 but hopefully you will have got hold of your clinic by now to confirm what to do..

Also on my first go the embies were grade 2 but my last go they were grade 1, i ate lots of protein, drank lots of water and milk and ate my way through a handful of brazil nuts each day!!

Best of luck to you Laura.

Al
xx

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hi laura,

I was told the same as alison. when I started stimming I dropped the burselin from 0.5 to 0.2. Hope you have got the answers from the clinic.

Sarah

xxx

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Laura,
I've also heard that high protein diets are supposed to help with egg quality, my acu also suggested this as well, and recommended both meat and hummous as good sources.  I'm also have an omelette for breakfast.

My clinic also had me halve my Burselin from 0.5 to 0.25, so it is not uncommon.  But it must be annoying no to be able to talk to a nurse about this!  :mad:

Good luck!!!

Jenny

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello Laura...just to say that as the other lovely ladies have stated above I was also told to drop the Buserelin from 0.5 to 0.25 when I started stimming - I hope you have managed to get hold of your clinic - how frustrating for you...Thinking of youxxx

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for diet and supplement advice, especially Natasha.  I will be stocking up on protein and hoping it makes a difference to my eggs.  Wow you had amazing results! Am sure you will get there in the end - sounds like you have great eggs, and great embryos, just need one bit of luck. 

Thanks also for stimming advice - I did finally get a call back from a nurse who explained that as I have no signs of PCOS, it's quite normal to halve the Buserelin dose.  Which I hope will make me half as tired!

Thanks

Laura

1 - 8 of 8 Posts