Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

me & dw have been ttc#1 for just over a year and beginning to think about maybe getting some tests done to see what the score is. i've always said 18 months in to TFAB is about right, but getting impatient  ;)

when do you guys think the 'right' time is? have we waited to long or should we wait another year or so. just don't wanna go to doctors & have him say that it's too soon...

advice and the voices of wisdom/experience much appreciated

sj

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Hi Sj

I would of thought that your doctor would start doing some simple tests like sperm test, tests for you LH/FSH/Progesterone etc.  These are very simple blood tests that you doc can do and all being well if these are fine then its just a matter of time.  Otherwise depending on the results they may refer you to a spec.

It really depends on your age as some docs ask that you try for 18/24 mths if you are under 30 but only 12 months if you are over 30 etc.

Ifs def worth seeing your doc though. I went to see mine after about 10 months of ttc (31 at the time) and she did tests the next day.
Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hey SJ

i have to say that it may be worth having a chat with your gp to see what they think - it may be that they will do some  basic tests on your wife (bloods/scan if needed) and also to do a sperm count for you.

im taking it that neither of you have any children?
does your wife have regular cycles?
any reasons that make you think there may be a problem?

sometimes it can take upto 2 yrs for a couple with no probs ot get preg-its just a timing thing!!! us women dont ovulate every month even if there is no prob with us .

Good luck and take care

Mez
xxx

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
S.j. - there is a home sperm test kit, I saw mentioned on the site. I'll try and hunt down the details...  But I would also say try the doctor after 12 months at worst he'll tell you to go away and come back later.

Regards
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts