Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this post isn't for me, it's for a friend who I recently confided in about my treatment. It turns out that she was also having treatment with her DP but they have recently separated. She wants to still carry on with the treatment using donor sperm that was already being planned to use.

Would the clinic allow her to continue on her own as a single person with the fact that her and DP have just separated?

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
They should let her carry on using a donor, she'd most likely have to go through counselling again to make sure she is ready to be a single parent and her DP would have to be removed from having legal responsibility for the child that would be born from the treatment.... so it would probably mean filling out loads of forms again. Lots of women choose to have babies alone

·
Registered
905 Posts
Of course many women successfully have a child or children on their own but a clinic may be concerned that a woman who has only recently separated may be making the decision to go ahead with DI before she has had a chance to grieve this relationship and think about being a woman on her own.  I know many people use the terms DP and DH interchangeably.  If in fact her DP was a DH then he would be the legal father of any child she has via DI whilst still legally married to him.  Best to divorce first if they were married.
Olivia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts