Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Im about to embark on yet another FET. My last cycle i produced 6 eggs 4 fertilized 2 went back in at the 4 cell stage this resulted in a BFN. However the embryologist kept the other 2 emmbies out over night for some reason, and the next day after transfer she told me that they had divided to 8 cells and were frozen at this stage. The embryologist was very positive saying she thought i stood a high chance of pregnancy with the fresh ones however that was not to be. But she said if i needed to use the frozen there is a higher chance of them not thawing because of the fact they were frozen at the 8 cell stage.

Im really bothered that im going through a medicated cycle and they may not even thaw as there are only 2 of them. Any one out there been in the same boat and have had their emmbies thaw when theyve been frozen at a high cell stage.

Sorry if im rambling im just in need of some advice.

Thanks ladies

love poppy :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Poppy,

I'm not surprised that you are worrying after that sort of negative "advice".

We have 2 frosties left and they were frozen on day 3 and were 8 cells. We were told that we have an excellent chance (if they thaw) 'cos they got to that point OK.

The scary bit for us will be the thaw as it is normally thaw 3 for 2 to transfer. On our last FET we thawed 4 and got three.  Funnily enough it was one of our so-called "high" grade embies that perished during that first thaw. These were only 2 days old though.

I wonder if the embryologist thought that the embies were low grade or overly fragmented but grading appears to be so subjective and unreliable.

Hope some else can offer us both some good advice.

With warmest regards,

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
We are due for our first FET next month and were told by our clinic that the embies had a 60% average chance of defrosting ok, also that the embryologist would not have frozen them if there was not a good chance of defrost and preg with them.  Try to remain positive and good luck with your treatment.

Clare
xx

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Flopsy and Clare.
This cycle has gone belly up and im abandoning it today. I am really p****d off and angry at the clinic. What they failed to tell me is that as i am on a medicated cycle the clinic actually shuts for easter and will not be open when i should have et. Therefore i can carry on with the buserelin for another month until they are ready to proceed. Or i can wait, and stop the buserelin now.(after being on for 2 wks)

They failed to tell me this when i started. Had i have known i would be on Buserelin for so long i would have not statrted the cycle. They have apologised but this is not good enough. It means i have been jabbing myself for over 2 weeks for naff all. I wouldnt mind but i went to the clinic this morning for a blood test and they didnt even tell me then. I had to be told over the phone when i rang for the results.

Anyway i will be back soon.

So the best of luck to you all

love poppy

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Poppy

That is awful that your clinic did not plan your cycle out and tell you what would need to happen (re closure etc).  Are you paying for your drugs?  That is 2 weeks of drugs you may have paid for and pumped into your body for no need - i cant believe they can be so unprofessional.  I am sure you could go down the complaints procedure route as it is unessecary stress at a time like this.  I have not needed to look into this but i am sure someone on this site could advise you.
Is it your first treatment at this clinic?  How have you found them until now? I can see why you would be upset and angry and i am angry for you and the way that we dont get a good service all the time when going through IF treatment- and most of us are paying for it ourselves.

I hope you can get back to being positive for when your treatment starts, had you thought about going to a different clinic? 

Take care and good luck poppy

clare
xx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oh Poppy,

What a bunch of unorganised s*ds!  Sounds like a breach of contract to me.

It's not as if they would not have know this at the start. They have wasted your time, money and put you in a position of not trusting them. This is NOT what you need on top of all the other hassles of infertility treatment.

Some clinics treat us like a dumb, captive audience.

Not sure if you have alternative clinics in your area. If you don't have a choice and decided to stay at this one a strongly worded letter or complaint will hopefully result in them making you an "offer" of some sort. Not adequate compensation for what you have been through of course.

Hoping that you are as OK as possible!

With love from,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks girls.
Im actually on a NHS cycle and the frozen emmbies are from my second cycle. However long story cut short, my first cycle at another hospital (NHS) produced 32 emmbies i hyperstimulated and had 5 frozen replacements all BFN. Then moved to another hospital due to closure of the one i was at and found i had PCOS and Hydrosalphinx.

Then had operation mid 2nd cycle for hydrosalphinx so cycle was abandoned.

Then carried on with cycle last summer and i had 4 emmbies 2 fresh replaced and another BFN. I have 2 in the freezer and thats where i am now up to.

I requested treatment in Jan 05 for my frosties and we are now in March. I also think i should complain but am scared this would go against me as i think? i may have one more free cycle on the NHS.

i feel really angry and bitter about the way i have been treated and really feel that now is the time to go private as i am fed up with feeling like just another number in the waiting room.

My whole Fertility treatment has been poor especially when i hyperstimualted in 98 and was hospitalized for a week. I felt like complaining then but i was young and didnt know what to do.

I suppose i will see what happens in a few weeks and carry on. But i am really not happy.

THANK YOU for your support girls.

Love and luck to you both.

love poppy. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, i am in need of some advice..

Im new to FET, i have had 3 ivf the last one resulting in a long awaited BFP but unfortunately i misscarried at 9 weeks. Anyways i have 5 frosties and am just waiting on AF to start sniffing..What i want to know is how long do i sniff before 1st scan?  and roughly how many hospital trips will i have? The reason i ask is we are gonna try and not tell anyone so thinking ahead for work etc..

Any advice would be much appreciated

Di x

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi Di
I'm afraid I don't much about sniffing as I was a tablet/injection/pessaries combination. I ended up going in for scans every week intially (but that was because things weren't developing as fast as they should have done) but was told its normally every couple of weeks. Unfortunately it was BFN but I too am about to start on another FET so I wish you lots of luck.
Best Wishes
Georgie

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Sorry to hear of your mc ^hugme^

I'm afraid I can't offer any advise as our recent fet was natural unmedicated (as ovulate naturally with regular cycles)

I had scan on cd2 and then from every other day from cd9 until cd14 when I had dominant follie of 18mm and took ovitrelle trigger jab to exactly time ovulation (despite fact I was just about to ovulate naturally anyway - always do on cd15/15)...then had ET few days later...

Wishing you lots of luck ^reiki^
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Di

I'm doing an injection too rather than sniffing to downreg, but perhaps the cycle is similar...  I have to have the injection on day 21, then wait for AF, which may be a bit later than normal.  I then have to go for a scan on day 5, and then for another scan a week later, and then another yet another week later. 

Hope that helps, and all the best with your tx!

love

BlueSoo

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi

i have just got a BFN from our second icsi treatment, thankfully i managed to freeze 3 eggs

THe hospital advised me to to freeze embryos on the day after egg collection because they said that they would have a better survival rate if frozen early.

However have been reading posts and noticed that a lot of women have them frozen after several days and even at blast stage.

Has the clinic forzen them too soon?

Tigersplat

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure, I have 2 at blast. I guess they all have their diff policies.

Am sorry about the BFN & hope that u have a BFP with your FE.

·
Registered
481 Posts
hi,
sorry i can't help you either, i only have one blast frozen. I suspect if the embie is strong enough it won't matter if it's day 2 or 5.

Good Luck
x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there Tigersplat

Our clinic also freezes on day after EC for the same reasons as stated by yours.  I too had the same worry as you after seeing that others seem to be allowed to develop further.  We had a fresh IVF cycle last July which unfortunately was not successful but we were lucky enough to have several 1-day-old embryos left to freeze.  We then had a medicated FET cycle in Dec and were both quite shocked that this time we got a long-awaited BFP (after 7 years, 5 x IUIs and 1 x IVF).  I personally was very surprised that a frozen one made it when the fresh ones didn't but it seems it can happen.  Our Dr said the success rates of fresh and frozen cycles are similar in her experience and what matters more is the qualtity of the embryo. The one that made it was a grade B.

I suppose they all just have different policies.

Good luck with your FET!
Sarah

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi Tigersplat.  I had EC last Tuesday and had to stop due to the risk of OHSS.  They froze 11 embryos immediately for exactly the same reason you were told so don't worry, it's not uncommon.  And the chances of BFP are the same with fresh or frozen as far as I know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Tiger.

Like the others I harvested 12 eggs 9 embies 2 replaced  - 1 gorgeous daughter & 4 frosties frozen on the day of collection.

I will definitely say along with the other girlies , trust your clinic! they will always & usually only freeze the strongest so I am sure they are quite happy waiting for you Good luck sweetiexxxx ^hugme^

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks everyone for taking the time to reply

i feel a little better, it has been 2 weeks since my BFN and i am now feeling a little better and will look to start treatment in may/june

thanks

tigersplat

xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
76 Posts
sarah16 said:
Hi there Tigersplat

Our clinic also freezes on day after EC for the same reasons as stated by yours. I too had the same worry as you after seeing that others seem to be allowed to develop further. We had a fresh IVF cycle last July which unfortunately was not successful but we were lucky enough to have several 1-day-old embryos left to freeze. We then had a medicated FET cycle in Dec and were both quite shocked that this time we got a long-awaited BFP (after 7 years, 5 x IUIs and 1 x IVF). I personally was very surprised that a frozen one made it when the fresh ones didn't but it seems it can happen. Our Dr said the success rates of fresh and frozen cycles are similar in her experience and what matters more is the qualtity of the embryo. The one that made it was a grade B.

I suppose they all just have different policies.

Good luck with your FET!
Sarah

·
Registered
473 Posts
i've just had a failed IVF but managed to get 3 blasts frozen from this cycle.  Now the two blasts they put back were 6BB in quality which is 'good' (AA being best, AB the next etc etc).

the embryologists have told me that the 3 they have frozen are not as good as quality as the ones i had fresh.... but they said they were still worth freezing.

are there any success stories out there of ladies who got pregnant with poor quality blasts...? I'm just trying to weigh up my options on whether to do a FET next or another fresh cycle....

any views welcome!  I'm new to the FET stuff...

x

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.