Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

This is my first ever post, so please bear with me.

My wife and I are currently investigating the option of using donor sperm to start our family. After I lot of worry and hassle investigating my own fertility (including an unsuccessful surgical sperm retrieval procedure), I niavely thought that the practical aspects of going down the donor route would be relatively straightforward.

It now seems that this isn't the case, what with the current lack of donors in the UK and the recent **** ban on importing sperm from the US. We were hoping to go to a private clinic in the UK (probably CARE) and "source" a donor from a US bank such as Xytek. Can anyone tell me if this is still possible? I know the **** aren't issuing any new licences for US importation, but are licences issued to a clinic or individually to each patient within a clinic (i.e. are clinics like CARE able to take on new patients who wish to import from the US)?

We were attracted to using a US bank primarily because of the greater donor information they can provide.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Tricky

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dear Tricky,
Welcome to fertility friends. I am a CARE patient but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I would guess that if you are wanting to use sperm you have sourced yourself then the clinic would need a separate licence. I think that you would be best to ring them up and ask. Good luck.

Collyx

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hello Tricky

I have been in contact with Xytex recently about this.  This is what Sheridan Rivers (Xytex's Sales Director) emailed me a couple of weeks ago:

The HFEA has temporarily banned all importation of donor sperm into the UK.  There is supposedly going to be a meeting in September to decide if this decision will be permanent.  If they decide to reverse the decision, then we will supply as much donor sperm as possible to you and other UK patients in need.  But, unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to do any business with any UK clients or clinics.  I urge you to let your feelings be known during these next few weeks in hopes that if enough people speak out, the HFEA will be forced to reconsider their decision.
_______

As you can see from this, the situation may change again next month.  My understanding is that licences are granted on a per import basis (i.e could be either for individual or whole clinic use) and that if your clinic has already imported sperm on licence from Xytex, you would still be able to use it, but that they will not be able to get hold of any more until the HFEA sees sense (we all hope!!).

Hope this helps to answer your questions

Some1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Colly and Some1

Guess all we can do is ask CARE directly and also keep our fingers crossed for a positive outcome from the **** meeting in September. If the ban isn't lifted, might mean a prolonged and expensive trip to the US! Does anybody have any experience of travelling over to the States for the donor sperm procedure itself?

Cheers

Tricky

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Tricky,

We too have the same problem and I have formally written to the HFEA about their recent decision.

We have donor sperm 'on hold' ready to import with Xytex but are unable in the current sitaution.

We have also contact Ceram in Marbella - there are currently no waiting lists for donor sperm. With Ruth the FF Nurse this makes me feel like I know the clinic alraedy and her husband also has a company to help you get to Spain and to run you from appt to appt whilst there. There is also one in Barcelona which I believe has a good reputation.

It is also considerably cheaper than the States which if I am honest is my first choice but having spent £21K already, I know this is not an option.

Hope that helps.

Natalie x

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Tricky,

I am with Care in Nottingham and have been told they have no donor sperm available and they do not expect to have any for around 12 months!

We have been advised to look in to importing,which we cannot do from USA or find ourselves a known donor,which we have and he as been tested for all hiv etc and had sperm count but does not want to go through the clinic but would do home insemination.  Time is runnung out for us due to my age and so we are going to give this a go.

Is there anyone who you know would be willing to do this or become a known donor?

Hope this helps,

anita.x

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am 44 am i too old for IUI with donor sperm? We tried ICSI twice and now looking at donor eggs with ICSI due to my age44. But I am otherwise fine, fsh8 and lh 6 so what shall i do? Go for donor eggs with ICSI or try for a genetic child with donor sperm? DH doesn't mind either way. It's hard, and I feel I need to check out the chance to have a child genetically mine before we get donor for eggs. Neither of us have any kids at all. But what are my chances???
I tried QE hospital in Birmingham and MFS, neither of them have any sperm left. It really is a crisis.
Please help anyone?
babybliss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts