Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there

I have a question about travel with a newborn and I'm talking extremely newborn!

I've an induction booked for Wednesday 11 June.  Mr BC has a business meeting in Cardiff on 27 June and would like to go on from there to Pembrokeshire to show New Grandchild to stranded in-laws (Mum in-law has broken her leg and they're not allowed to travel).  The journey time from here to Pembrokeshire is 6 hours - 4 to Cardiff. 

However, DH works in Birmingham so we could drive there - 2 hours - stay the night in a hotel and drive from there to Cardiff - another two hours - where he will have his meeting for an hour or so and I will take small one for a nice feed and cruise round the park (weather permitting) before we do the final 2 hours to Pembrokeshire.  Coming back I think it'll be a case of stopping to feed after two hours, a two hour bout of hell while small one is awake and wanting to play but strapped, bored, into his car seat, another feed and then hopefully sleep for the next two hours until we are home.

If small one had arrived when expected he would have been 4 weeks old at the point we attempted this journey.  However, he is already a week overdue and as I stand on the brink of week 42 I am aware that June and September being the two busiest months in the birth calender, that it may be the beginning of week 43 before he's actually induced.  This epic journey with a 2 week old looks a lot more daunting - especially as my parents will be staying for a week in there somewhere between birth and departure and I can see there being very little time to identify or establish any kind of routine - plus we have no idea whether he'll be laid back or a complete fuss pot until he arrives!

I've two questions...

One am I mad even thinking about this (I suspect I am but I wanted to check)?
Two, we will have to make the trip at some point, does anyone out there have any good tips and advice for attempting this kind of epic journey by car - public transport would take even longer and I suspect, would be even worse?

This is my first baby and as you can see, I haven't a clue what I'm letting myself in for... no, actually, I have but since this is something I will have to bite the bullet and do, help and tips to make it as bearable as possible for all of us will be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

BC

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oh gawd, I'm sure some will disagree but yes, I do think you are mad to even contemplate it! For starters you don't know how the birth is going to go and, worst case scenario, you end up with a c-section, the last thing you'll want to do 2 weeks after is travel all that way.

I don't know if you plan to breast or bottle feed, but if breast then only feeding every 2 hours in the very early days is quite optimistic, although not impossible. If you plan to bottle feed you'll have to add the steriliser etc to your seemingly endless list of things to pack.

Another thing to consider is how long your LO is going to be sat in his car seat assuming he's not led flat as the advise is to not leave them in that position longer than 1.5/2 hours.

I have to say the chances of establishing a routine in the space of 2 weeks are pretty much zero (sorry!) so please don't beat yourself up when it doesn't happen.

Sorry if this sounds a bit pessimistic - you could of course have the perfect birth (if there is such a thing ;D) and a very well behaved baby, but until it happens you won't know so I wouldn't make any concrete plans just yet.

Chux xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chux,

No worries, that's pretty much what I thought, I just wasn't sure if I was being sensible (gut feeling) or a bit fussy so thought I would seek confirmation from some more experienced parents!  ;)

Thanks! 

Cheers

BC

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi BC

It can be done but you just need to add extra time to stop and do feeds and remember that newborns shouldn't be in their car seats for more than 2 hours at a time.  We had to do a 4+hr car journey when A was 2.5 weeks old (no choice - FIL's funeral  :'() so we just stopped a couple of times and scheduled in a nappy change and a bit of a feed (expressed breast milk warmed up in a cup of hot water from Burger King!) .  We took the full pram out at the services so DS coud lay flat for a while and we had something to eat to kill time too.  I had a section but it was ok.  Might be worth getting some pre-sterlised bottles and cartons of formula even if you are breast feeding as you may not be comfortable enough to do it in public.  On our return journey it was dark so we parked at the quiet end of the services and I bf DS whist sat in the passenger seat as it was more private than trying in a brightly lit service station.

Sorry to disagree with Chux  ;) but it can be done if you plan well.  Just remember to take plenty of changes of clothes for baby as newborn poop can be messy and remember to plan feeds etc and have a back up plan (formula/extra service stations plotted on the route in case etc)

Best of luck!

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Fluffs said:
Sorry to disagree with Chux ;) but it can be done if you plan well.
LOL LOL.........disagree all you want. ;D ;D I'm not saying it can't be done, just personally I wouldn't want to do it unless I absolutely had to, plus planning was not something I was good at when I had a 2 week old...........hmmm, still not that brilliant at it now!

The one thought I did have as we were driving around this afternoon, is that the baby will probably sleep most of the way with the motion of the car - if anything, he'll probably sleep better than if you were at home.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
yeah, I'd say just prepare well and take lots of breaks (feed the lo lots too)...  Sit or have someone next to baby and I personally find dummy's a godsend!  I agree, baby will more than likely sleep well most the journey.  Just be prepared to be totally knackered and 'zombie' like!!!  (I was like this for the first 8 weeks after anyway ;D)  If dh is driving, then maybe you should take the opportunity to nap too!! (doubt your get much sleep at night to begin with).
Hope birth goes well xxx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I haven't done this but knowing how Molly was around that age she slept lots and lots so don't think entertaining the baby will be an issue. May just be a case of winding, etc that will disturb the baby instead.

With planning you can do anything ;) ;D

x

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone, thanks, a lot of good advice there and plenty of food for thought. 

I think the answer is I can't commit to the journey until I've met the baby we will be taking and as he's skulking inside me at the moment, I'll have to reserve judgement.  The stop in Cardiff is a work meeting for Mr BC so he'll fret if we are late.  That, in itself, is enough to ring bells for me.  Whereas, if we were just going to Pembrokeshire and taking it slowly I'd be less worried about attempting it... and of course, if we are worried about time, small one is bound to pick up on it.

I reckon we may try at about 6 weeks as we'll be more settled into the routine of being new parents then, at least.

Cheers

BC

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I did it twice with my two - I fed them before I left (amy bottle and Hannah breast so done both) and got away asap, drove solid for four hours till arriving at my parents. I must also add I was alone both journeys, the first time just amy who was 4 weeks old, and the second time amy was 2 and hannah 4 weeks old, my dh couldn't get time off work so just got on with it, my family wanted to see baby and I wanted to show them off.

It was fine both babies cried for about the last 20mins, no more, with the odd grizzle on the way but I just kept moving and they went back off!!

mad I know but if I am lucky to be blessed with number 3 I will do the same no questions, be organised, car packed before feed due and as soon as done get away!
goodluck x x x x

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sarah

Now that small person has actually arrived, I'm getting more of a handle on how the routine is developing.  For me the problem is the car seat, which he is only supposed to be in for one and a half hours at a stretch - followed by a period lying flat.  Then again, if it's only a one off I guess I can push that a little to say, one feed half way and two three hour drives either side. 

Well.. we'll see.  We're all going to attempt this marathon schlep on July 13th!  Muffin will be six weeks old by then...

Cheers

BC

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I did the journey with my little one after 11 days! We travelled to scotland for new year and it was fine.

I fed him and changed him just before we left and then we drove for 2 hours 20 with me and him asleep in the back. He slept the whole way (as did I) and as soon as we stopped at my mums he got fed and changed (he was just starting to stir). No harm came to him - in fact I would say the journey was the best block of sleep he had since he had been born. He's always been a bit of a power napper!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Congratulations!! I think there's a huge difference between making a trip with a 6 week old to 2 weeks, for starters you are feeling much more human and normal! Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Congratulations x

To be honest I think the whole car seat rule is aimed at people who would leave a child in it all day every day. There's being sensible and you don't leave him in it for hours every day so I am sure a one off is no problem - I certainly never even thought about it x x x x

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
To be honest with a small one weeks old I think its much easier that say 4 months when they would need entertaining. 6 weeks they will be happy to sleep a lot, plus by then if you are breastfeeding by then you might have more of a routine with feeding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped out on this one.  We took him at four weeks.  The traffic was clear both ways so it took the 4 hours rather than 6 so we just stopped once in the middle each time after two hours.  Boy was fine and so were we...

Anyone else out there wondering... it's doable but a lot depends on how laid back your baby is ours is hugely relaxed which does help!

Cheers

Babychaos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts